as you can see, my machine says it's a D5K, but when you put the serial number on the Caterpillar website, it identifies it as d5k2. Now I have a problem with the injectors on my machine and I don't know which one is correct. What is the difference between the 2 machines?
Are you trying to identify the correct injector Part Number.? From what I can see the correct P/N based on your engine Serial Number is 449-3315.
yes i don't know which one is correct. since vin says it's d5k2, but the nameplate just says d5k. The nozzles seem to have different codes. D5K 320-0677 / D5K2 449-3315 I don't know what the difference is between them so I can use one of these injectors.
I don't think that makes a difference. I have worked with D10T2 tractors recently and the VIN plate on them is only stamped D10T (not D10T2) just like your D5K. I was looking at your other thread regarding adjusting the valves. You said the engine S/N is ********. Looking in the online system your D5K2 S/N******** shows the engine Serial Number to be ********. Can you confirm the correct engine S/N please.?
the correct one is ********. did you type right in the system? if so, I'll find out when it's on the machine. the ECU reading contained the same number as the nameplate.
Here are the complete details of the machine S/N ******** and engine S/N clearly listed as*********. Is there any chance that the engine ECM might have been interchanged with one from another machine.?
OK, based on the information available online - here's what I think. Your tractor D5K2, Serial Number ******** (built May 2016) has had the engine replaced by one that was originally installed in a D5K "Series I" tractor of Serial Number ******** (built July 2011). See below..... View attachment 244198
The correct fuel injector nozzles for engine Serial Number ******** (as it was originally built) are Part Number 320-0680.
Repeat post while Nige was typing
Is there an echo in here.....? Something else makes me suspicious......... Look closely at the photo of the engine Serial Number plate in post #7 above. There is an area much larger than the plate that appears at some time has had adhesive on it. I wonder if that location originally had a much larger plate on it with different data. Because the "engine plate" in the photo doesn't have the same amount of information that it would normally have. And, for example, it would not normally have "D5K" (machine model) on it, it would have the engine model (C4.4, but NOT "C4.4E"). I can't recall ever seeing the machine model on the engine S/N plate. Here's another twist. If you look up the 187-8016 Arrangement Number in TMI it corresponds to an engine with mechanical injection, not electronic......... This story is starting to smell like week-old fish................
Taken from one of the OP's photos. Hello, what's this..? I don't think that's genuine. Also why would the 254-9233 engine Arrangment Number be different on the PIN plate to the 186-8016 that is shown on the (alleged) engine Serial Number plate.? I am now convinced this is a machine with adulterated Serial Number plates on it. View attachment 244203
my god, what a mess... now i got lost. How will I definitively find out the number of this engine? and the machine number? is there any definitive marking on the machine other than these platelets?
The machine Serial Number should be stamped on the rear LH upper corner of the machine frame. However if someone has gone to the trouble of changing the identity of this machine they might well have ground off the stamped number on the frame. I can't think of anything that would be quick. Is there a data plate on the turbocharger with a Part Number.?
the iron marking is the same, we find this other plate on the engine block, just above the crankcase. what do you think?
this plate is the only one that does not provide the number arrangement and evidently the old plate was removed
Take a good look down in the centre of the turbocharger as indicated by the arrow. Is there a small plate with a Part Number on it.? You are looking for something like the illustration below marked "Caterpillar Turbocharger" and a Part Number. I know the plate shows a Reman turbo but it is the best illustration I could find quickly.
can you pull the serial number from the machine with this engine number?
I will check
Yes, the details are shown in Post #8 above. The tractor in which engine S/N ******** was originally installed is a D5K of S/N ********. Built in 2011.
in the history of the machine this number 1478 is everywhere. so if S/N ******** and ******** are in the history, it means that the year of manufacture of this machine is 2011 and not 2016. this other plate is the front plate, where it sits near the grille glued to the bodywork. I removed it so as not to lose in the middle of the field. I can't say if it's right, but I saw several ads for machines in china/japao/usa and the plates have some differences. but seeing the photos of the machines, instrument panel and the machine had a facelift in 2016, everything indicates that my machine is 2011 and the S/N of the machine is changed.
the machine has 4,000 hours, if it has 10 years of use with only 4,000 hours, does it mean that it was idle for a long time, maybe an engine change? I don't know if the scanner can identify a change in her hourmeter.
can you tell the code for this ripper? What machine is it for? I can't find this ripper mounted on the d5k anywhere. I think finding out a little bit about the ripper I'll find out about the machine too.
Is that a photo of your machine with the ripper.? If yes, does the ripper have a Serial Number plate anywhere on it, or can you find a S/N stamped on it anywhere.?
yes it's my machine, there is this plate, but it's all overshadowed, I can't interpret the numbers.
Can you post a photo of the plate.?