Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Serial number

John Fitz ยท 2024-11-21 15:54

Hi Guys, I bought a cat D4D dozer and I'm trying to find the year of manufacture. Everything I read says it should have between 8-17 numbers. Mine is 61J0525 with another number which looks like 48V637. I live in Ireland,

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-11-21 16:06

    Your dozer has "old style" numbering where Cat didn't put any additional zeros. It was built far too early for the newer 17-character PINs. In 8-character format your S/N would be written 61J05025. Today the engine Serial Number would be written 48V00637. I'm a bit suspicious that number might be incorrect, but the possibility also exists that it might not be the original engine. Can you post a photo of the plate or where the number is stamped. Really you are going to need a minimum of a Parts Manual, because there is precious little detailed information in the online parts & service system regarding machines as old as yours. HEBP1090 is what you need, for all 61J machines from S/N 680-Up.

  2. #2John Fitz2024-11-21 16:39
  3. #3Nige2024-11-21 16:51

    Sorry I mis-read the machine Serial Number in your original post as 61J5025, not 0525. Your tractor Serial Number is therefore 61J00525 in today's numbers. The Engine S/N 48V00637 is good. Your tractor was built in France, based on the serial number it was probably the first year of 61J production which was 1968. If not that then 1969. That changes the Parts Manual reference. You will need UEH0792S for 61J machines with S/N between 518 and 679.

  4. #4John Fitz2024-11-21 16:59

    Thank you so much. That is great information I would have never found any of that without your help.