Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Serial number cross ref

gullagej · 2023-06-21 22:33

I have a Cat 307 excavator s/n 00B97176. I'm trying to find the lower cab glass. Can anyone cross ref. the s/n to the year of the machine? I think it might be a 1999. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Cmark2023-06-22 00:46

    I can't make anything out of that number. Can you post a photo of the plate?

  2. #2gullagej2023-06-22 07:30

    Thanks for your help.

  3. #3Cmark2023-06-22 09:22
  4. #4gullagej2023-06-22 09:33

    Thanks for your help. Thank you, Cmark. May I ask how you found that? Most website I found wanted a 17 digit s/n.

  5. #5gullagej2023-06-22 09:33

    Thank you, Cmark. May I ask how you found that? Most website I found wanted a 17 digit s/n.

  6. #6Nige2023-06-22 17:33

    What you quoted in your OP was actually the engine serial number, not the machine. The machine S/N 9ZL03975 is actually on the line above it in your photo. The 17-character Product Identification Number (PIN) is the complete reference but it has only been in existence for about the last 20 years. It was only introduced after your machine was built. Before that an 8-character Serial Number was used. The Serial Number on a machine today is actually the last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN. I’d be interested to know where you were searching because all Cat parts resources only ask for the Serial Number AFAIK.

  7. #7gullagej2023-06-22 19:59

    Thanks for the info, Nige. I was trying to cross ref. for the year of the machine using vindecoderz.com/EN/Caterpillar and I got the 17 character error note. I got a similar note on another website that I can't locate now. Regards

  8. #8Nige2023-06-23 06:33

    Ah, I thought you were looking for parts as opposed to details of the machine like the year. Your machine was designed for marketing only in Japan and was not intended for sale outside that market. Unfortunately although mechanically such machines are mechanically often identical to those sold in the US the big differences are in cabs and sheet metal. I think it might be a case of either getting a Japanese parts manual or having a windshield company cut you a piece to fit. Is the lower glass flat.?

  9. #9gullagej2023-06-23 08:32

    I knew it was a gray market machine but I didn't know the cab was different on them. Yes, it was flat before the big oak tree root went thru it and broke it. Making a pattern and getting a piece made was my original plan. But my son has been using it on his property for 2 years and said he would buy a piece if I got him the year of the machine. Now he wants me to get him the part number of the glass so I'll probably go with my original plan based on your input. Thanks for your help, Nige.

  10. #10Nige2023-06-23 11:00

    If the glass is flat then I would suggest a windshield glass company that specialises in heavy equipment. They will be able to cut a piece of laminated glass to fit. If the machine is near to them I would even go as far as to suggest you have them cut & fit it on site. Probably wouldn’t take more than 1 hour.