Can someone tell me where to locate the SN on a 1999 Cat D5M? I know it's a stupid question but I've spent 15 min looking around this thing. Thanks
I've looked all over it. In every compartment, door etc. it's an original paint cab tractor, so it's not been painted over. It's really frustrating. If you know a pic would be helpful. The only info I can find on the web is that it is either on the chassis, below the fuel tank or on the cowling near the operator station.
According to SIS, there should be a plate in the cab behind the seat and also one on the rear of the main frame, top left. If you have no luck, see if you can locate the engine serial number and we may be able to work back to the machine serial number.
I poked around on the google and found this D5M serial plate, maybe you can gather things around and and pinpoint yours. although this looks like the serial for the engine, looks like the valve cover.
the plate is on this machine is on the left side near the arm rest.
Thanks all It's dark thirty here now, so Ill check behind the seat tomorrow
Unbelievable... Thank you Cmark. If were a snake it would have bit me. Its in plain view, attached to the plastic right behind the seat. Like the pic of the open station one above that is on the armrest. I thought Cat would have put them on a more permanent structure? Anyway, mystery solved