Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Series 60 oil pan repair.

workshoprat92 · 2018-09-08 21:41

Has anyone had any luck repairing a series 60 fiberglass oil pan?

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2018-09-08 22:09

    How bad is it? just cracked or a hole in it? We just use epoxy. Truck Shop

  2. #2workshoprat922018-09-08 22:29

    I have two pans. One has a rip where it got stabbed by a forklift in handeling by the previous owner. Probably a 4-6 inch rip. The second one was on the engine and a buddy was helping me unload it from a trailer and swore his skid steer could easily handle the weight. Well he was WRONG! It got set on the pan as the machine tipped forward. It didnt take all the weight of the engine but it was enough to hear some cracking. I took and hung a 3000 lbs headace ball from the back of his skidder and we were able to finish unloading and get it on my engine stand. Now i notice it leaking some oil very slight on the floor around the drain plug area. I cant tell you how pissed i was. I knew i should of went and got my cat 955 off the job site but trusted his word. Anyhow so its probably small cracking. I havent had it off yet. I need to pull it anyhow to change it from front sump to rear sump. I need a rear sump pickup tube also if anyone has one for sale?

  3. #3workshoprat922018-09-08 22:33

    I have some experience in composites working on airplanes so i know how to do an effective strong repair and prepare an area to be repaired. It looks like in some literature I found it is made of vinyle ester resin. That makes sense as vinyle ester has greater impact and vibration resistance ability. As well as many other attributes. Looks like thats the best epoxy resin to use vs using polyester resin. Is that the resin you use? And standard fiberglass cloth or mat molding?

  4. #4kshansen2018-09-09 10:25

    workshoprat92 As I know you are aware other than using compatible materials getting things clean is the biggest part of any repair like that!

  5. #5workshoprat922018-09-09 10:40

    Right I agree. Cleaning is usually done by grinding or sanding out the area to be repaired. As per aircraft repair i bevel everything out over a wide area. I will sand out super thin at damage then taper out from there!

  6. #6hosspuller2018-09-09 10:41

    Bet the skidsteer guy didn't consider how far the engine stood away from his lift pins. Stuff happens … Hope he's still your buddy.

  7. #7workshoprat922018-09-09 15:15

    Im not sure what he was thinking as I questioned it many times. Were still friends. All in all it was aa successful trip. We drove all the way from spfd mo to just north of Baltimore MD to get it. Plus all the other goodies we got! If i have to do a little pan repair its no biggie!

  8. #8Pipevine2019-05-09 22:06

    Did you try the repair? If so what were the results?

  9. #9workshoprat922019-05-10 13:19

    No i have not yet had a chance to do so. Way to many projects and to little time!