Anyone know where i can get a wiring diagram for a series 60 ddec2? I need to run one on an engine stand and need to make a wiring harness to make it run. I have the harness from the vehicle it came out of that was disconected at the firewall and i also have the throttle position sensor. Should have everything i need.
Actually the dealer is the best bet for Series 60 diagrams. Get it for the year and model the harness came out of. It's going to be fairly basic. Truck Shop
Are you talking the truck dealer or the detroit dealer? Most dealers dont want to share manuals without a small phenomenal fee! I have the series 60 manual on cd. Bought it off ebay fairly reasonable. Cant find a ddec2 manual though. They have 3 and up but no 2
Are the DDEC 2 the one where the ecm is mounted separate under the cab, instead of on the engine itself? I think I have a set of DDEC manual's, but I don't know how far back in the series it goes, I'll check in the morning at the shop.
If you hook up the power and ground for the ECM it will idle, only. Truck Shop
Ddec 2 is mounted on the block. I do have a throttle sensor to wire into it!
Also I got a good deal on a pro link. I have a ddec2 cartride on the way so I should be able to communicate with the ecm!
Hey crane operator did you ever see if you have that detroit wiring manual?
Sorry, I forgot all about it, I will look first thing in the morning.
Sorry, no manual
Damn! Thanks for looking!
I don't know if this will help.
I cannot down load it to where i can read it. Is there another way i can get a cleaner file? All i need is enough info to wire it up and test run it on an engine stand so it may be what i need even if its basic!
Try this.
Thanks so much this schematic has been of great help when i have slowly been trying to wire this engine. With the bad weather now here I have been getting some shop time to work through all this. I have my battery box and controll console made and am working my way through wiring. One thing missing on the schematic is jake brake wiring. It only shows the ecm wire 508 and how it actuates the jake brake relay. I see the ddec 2 system used a ecm for jake brake control of high med and low. I also saw somewhere that they also used a relay set up and I could not find a schematic for that anywhere. I gave it a good think and after being up most the night I drew out a schematic I think would work. It took me a while to figure out how to get a one two three selecton with three jake solenoids and only two wires. I finally got a scrap of info on how the 3 solenoid setup was wired with 2 wires and I figured out the test from there! I have run through these circuits over and over and I think I have it! Can any of you guys look at my diagram and give me thier thoughts ? Sorry for the crudity of the drawing as art never was my strong point!
Your diagram looks correct as I remember. One relay activates one solenoid, one activates two, and both relays activates all three solenoids. Detroits schematics for Jake brakes all end at the firewall. Each truck manufacturer uses its own system. Good luck finding any help from Kenworth on their Jake brake wiring. I have two DDEC 2 powered Kenworths, one had a problem that had me stumped till I found the diodes in the wiring harness. The parts people had no clue and their answer was that it wasn't Kenworths problem, because they had no part numbers for any wiring, diodes or anything that had to do with a Series Sixty.
I really would like to see a factory diagram. I dont know how diodes would factor into it. The way i have mine set up you shouldnt need diodes. I had a relay pack with 3 relays out of a frieghtliner that i salvaged. I sat down and built this circuit today. Have it all ready to go just need to power it up and test it out. I figured id use light bulbs simulating the jake coils to prove it all out. As far as figuring out which wire in the harness has to valve coils and which one has one i figure the wire with only one coil should have a higer resistance two coils in parallel should have lower resistance. Or i could break down and pull the valve cover lol!
Try it out with lights first that will definitely tell you if diodes are needed to stop any backfeed. Looking at one schematic it doesn't show numbers for the Jake wires in the head. It gives a red wire as activating two solenoids and a blue wire for the remaining center cylinder. I hope that helps.
Trying to find a better diagram. There is a diode to protect the ECM from backfeed. I'll try to get that up as soon as I can.
Try this... hope it works...
This diagram is for an International. Sometimes they are less confusing. The diode is on the right where it says 337.
Unfortunatly im working with one of those harnesses that does not have wire colors but all wires are white lol. Some wires have readable numbers some are trace em down kinda operation. Yesterday i went wire by wire completly through my interface harness and identified and labled every wire. This morning i got my circuit powered up and everything works perfectly. I have no feedback and i do not see a need for diodes. Makes me think i designed a better or simpler circuit than what factory had. Hard to believe but it seems to work at least on the bench in theory!
Low med and high
All the schematics I have found show a diode to protect the ECM from back feed. It would not be hard to add one to the wire that comes from the ECM to activate the Jake. Just to be on the safe side. Good luck!
Hey thats a great diagram. Ok yea i can see the diode now to protect ecm. That makes sense. Wish i knew what size to get lol. Also something else i see the jake on switch is double pole and it also opens the ecm relay control circuit in off mode and that makes sense so its not neddlesly working the relay and that also keeps that circuit from being on for long periods of time. Its probably not a 100% duty cycle circuit at the ecm level.
These have a very convenient package, 6 amps IIRC. Is that enough for your application? http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/kohler-233959-rectifer-diode-replaces-241739-p-509.html
Yea thats pretty cool it has the spade connectors. I dont know why it wouldnt work!
Making more progress. Got a radiator hung today out of an old 70s cabover international. Just gotta hook it all up. Gotta love the shutter stats! Why did the ever get rid of those? They were fantastic!
Making more progress. Got a radiator hung today out of an old 70s cabover international. Just gotta hook it all up. Gotta love the shutter stats! Why did they ever get rid of those? They were fantastic! Getting closer to being able to fire this ol girl up! Working on this while im.waiting for switches and other parts to show up from amazon!
Of course the answer why they can't have shutters today is that aftercoolers and condensers need full air flow at all times. Those huge hazmat placards can block a lot of air. Move them to the bumper and the fan runs a lot less. How did the shutters work in that case? How did they interact with the thermostat?
There was a thermostat control valve on the engine that sensed engine temp and would apply air to open or close depending on temp. They also had a cylinder in the air conditioning hoses that wouls open them when the air conditioner was on. They really were a great system!
If I run this engine without a coolant level sensor will it trip the engine shut down? Still working through wiring but getting close.
You should be able to short the coolant sensor plug and keep it happy.
So basically ground out the wire from the ecm? Or do you mean the plug from the coolang level module? I dont have a module but they are pretty cheap on ebay.
Just a paper clip across the plug terminals.
Got this engine started on the engine stand today! Only thing is it wont throttle up. From every thing i can see i have it wired correctly. I have checked continuity and checked how i have it wired to the interface harness connector location several times. I can hook my pro link in and it shows tps cnts moves when you run the throttle. The tps pct does nothing and just reads 0%. I have got to think at this point something in the ecm is keeping it from throttling up. Anything i should check?
Also my high idle does not work and it keeps flashing code 25 which is no codes present. Even when running it keeps flashing that. Shouldnt that quit flashing once running? I do not have a vss or coolant level sensor and module wired in. Could that be a reason it wont throttle?
Ok got my cruise to work. Figured out my clutch and brake switch was wired backwards. Not sure how I did that. Anyhow i now have high idle and can throttle it with the cruise switches. Still not with throttle pedal. Will switch the wires the right way but i doubt that will solve the throttle peddle issue!
My experiences with trucks is that a bad VSS coil or low coolant signal will create a derate situation.
This isnt a derated problem i dont think. I get no throttle at all other than with high idle and can adjust throttle in cruise mode. Im still not certian i have the sensor wired right. I did the best i could with the schematics i have which are pretty basic and hard to see clearly as they dont print out well. As far as I can tell though it all checks out. And with the pro link hooked up it showes tps cnts and starts at like 30 and goes up to about 224. The tps pct does nothing which is odd to me. Of course in not sure if it should do anything. I went out and pulled the vss off the trans and plugged it in and same thing. The pro link shows coolant level to be full so I dont think thats an issue there. I just dont see why this throttle wont work. The sensor is the same one that came out of the truck it was in. The throttle is not inhibited on the computer settings I am missing something and just not seeing it!
I seem to remember a Freightliner with a Cummins that seemed to know when it was not moving or brake not released and the throttle was mostly/totally unresponsive like if you wanted to build air faster or whatever. I don't know why it did that because it drove just fine. I wonder if it could be something like that going on?
I checked the tps wiring once again and im for certian it is right. I was looking at the pro link again and under switches and outputs i see it lists power control switch whitch it shows as on. I dont see this switch on any schematics. I did have two wires left over on the ecm interface harness plug that i could not identify on any schematic that I have and have no idea what they go to. Just more things that make ya go hmmm! I think i need to figure out what this power control circuit is and what it does. I notice on the kent moore test box they have a power control switch right next to the clutch switch.
Ok figured out the power control switch and what turns it on. I have the swicth now off and still no throttle. I see i also jave a brake control switch on and cannot get it to turn off. I do not know if it is for the park brake switch or the service brake. I do not see why they would inhibite the throttle for the park brake but i do see why they would for the service brake. Would not make sence to have throttle application when your on the brakes. Is there anyone that knows if the ecm inhibits throttle control with the brake control switch on despite the ecm setting for throttle inhibite being off?
I gotta give a big thumbs up to Josh Wilson in Ohio! He was spot on on my problem. The data request circuit when shorted to ground will constantly flash codes. If no codes present it just flashes code 25 no codes. At the same time it wont allow tpd pct despite having tps cnts. This is so the driver cannot hold the data request button and check codes while going down the road. Anyhow so due to a misinterpretation to the wiring diagram i am using i wired the data request circuit directly to ground! Big fat Dohhhhh! Simply cut that wire and have full throttle control and jake brake function! Yee haw!!!
Isn't that always the way. It seems every large project always winds up with 1 or 2 wires out of place. We did a big job last week, late into the nights, all sorts of wires and controls all over the property and we were amazed when it all worked right the first time. Almost never happens.
Nice thing is this completes this project and i can now do a brain dump and finally get some sleep lol!
b been watching this thread`glad you got it figured out
Thank you so much for these post!!! I'm currently trying to rewire a DDEC II in a fire truck and have had no luck up until i stumbled across this beauty!