Got a Steiger ST310 that's in really poor condition. I didn't go to the auction and told Dad that if it went cheap, get it. Looked better in pictures. The transmission is missing a knob. Shouldn't there be a splitter? Internet says it's got 20 speeds, but with a five and the two speed transfer I'm only half way. I've got a set of Jansen manuals buy no operator manual.
My ST310 has a 20 speed. To the right of the steering wheel there are 3 levers. The first one is the throttle. The middle one is the 2 speed for the transmission and the furthest right one is the 2 speed transfer case. The middle one for the transmission is a hi and lo for each gear. So you don't have a 'hi side' and a 'low side' on the transmission. Just a hi and lo for each gear. I hope that makes sense.
Thank you. Both the transmission and transfer case have to be stopped to shift according to later manuals. This thing is a wreck. Cab is a disaster, wiring is down to one wire to the injector pump and one to the start solenoid.
Yikes! good luck.
You are correct, the manual that I have anyway says to stop basically for all shifts. But, with a little bit of coordination you can shift most of the gears while moving
Hopefully you got it bought right so you have some room for fixing things. If it has decent tires then that is a big bonus as far as i'm concerned.
I don't know about "right". No one buys a plaything "right". Paid $9500. I am running almost all tier 4, CVT, RTK auto steering for the farm. This big brutal beast is as much a threat to keep the fancy stuff working than to actually work. Joe bought this new when he was mid 30's and I'm basically 50, agriculture has changed a lot in this tractor's lifetime. My gut calculator says our small frame 180 Magnum is probably almost as productive as this machine per hour. (Per $ I don't know. Per unit of pain, tinnitus and operator physical consumption the 180 probably can get 10times the work done.) With our transition to more no-till and planting green for corn the potential roll this tractor has is not going to be very many hours. To say I'm keeping my expectations low is an understatement. Tires hold air but I'm not saying anything better about them. Leaking hydraulic at the joint/back of cab, scv outlets, somewhere up front. Don't have pressure at idle to the remotes but steering works (different pump). Implement pump is supposed to be pfc. Changed the finals and diffs before driving it almost three hours home. One final was a little low and all had a shine but no big sparkles or big glitter on the magnets. The one final that the SIL of the deceased owner said he'd been into did heat more than the others but not so bad I couldn't hold my hand to it after roading. Engine is the high point. No smoke, smooth, sounds right, didn't hardly change tone for hills. Temp gauge agreed with IR laser gun. Hour meter says 3500 and is working. The tires are old, maybe even 1980s. Makes judging actual hours difficult. It's possible to mistreat a machine into this condition in 3500 hrs of use, but not likely in over 40 years. I don't know what the cab interior is supposed to look like. There not a bit of insulation or covering left. Seat has a chunk of packing foam for a cushion. Floor to roof looks like the inside of a rusted fuel tank. (Motorola AM radio and a few speakers still hang uselessly.) All the idiot lights have empty holes. Even the turn signals! Dash looks like someone beat a raccoon to death with a shovel on it. Mouse nest kept blowing out of somewhere with the doors bungee open. Clutch master ran out of Dot3 on the way home. Pedal is still heavy even when it's not doing anything. Sticker on the dash is for a 10 speed. There only two levers on the dash.
If you don't have 3 levers to the right of the steering wheel then it's a 10 speed. It sounds like a fun project.