Hey guys, this is a follow up to an earlier post, but a slightly different twist, definitely appreciate your feedback. I'm torn between getting a Rezloh edge (for my bucket), or buying a used Virnig toothed bucket (for $700). What are the advantages and disadvantages of a Rezloh style cutting edge vs a toothed bucket? In what applications would one be better than the other, one not work well? I don't do a ton of digging, but some. Thanks,
You can switch out of a tooth bucket do you want to unbolt that edge every time you need to backdrag the driveway or plow snow plus with a tooth bucket you have a resalable item how much can you get for a used cutting edge
I up until recently have had both. I traded a machine and the Rezloh bucket went with it. The Rezloh is nice because you can dig with it without having a dedicated tooth bucket and you can back drag with the rezloh. It does not dig as good as a tooth bucket, but it is more versatile. You can scarify the ground with the rezloh as well. I have had a Rezloh edge on one bucket or another for about 10 years or more. The biggest disadvantage I found was picking material up off of asphalt or concrete requires more hand shoveling. When I got my first Rezloh edge I was pickup material up off of a roadway and sunk it right into the asphalt, so while they are not the diggers that a tooth bucket is, they do dig.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but on my tooth buckets the teeth are flush with the bottom of the bucket, I rarely even use a smooth bucket. You can scrape smooth and backdrag fine with a tooth bucket so long as the teeth don't drop lower then the bottom of the bucket.
I still vote for a tooth bucket. A rezloh edge is cool and would help your smooth bucket for not much more you get the best of both worlds two buckets that do everything you need. I understand where you are coming from where you already have a good bucket but a good tooth bucket is a handy tool! With a rezloh your stuck with it either on or off. While with another bucket you have the ability to decide halfway through the project that you need the other and just swap. There is only two things my tooth bucket doesn't do good. That's digging straight up to a wall and not leaving material and back dragging the same leftovers away from the wall. Other than that I can do anything g the smooth bucket can do and alot of times better.