Hey everyone, I need to service my 2006 580sm series 2 case backhoe, that needs to be worked on in the spring. Talked to the service manager today at case, and he reconmends to do the planetarys, , 4wd front axle oil , and the rear axle oil. I know I need to change the fuel filter, the oil change, and the trany filter change. I don't think the 4wd front axle or rear axle needs to be changed, and the planetarys, because I know how its been worked, and maintained. The machine has 4700hrs on it now. The hydraulic filter was changed on it with 4461 hrs on it, so I know it won't need to be changed for another 1000hrs. I'm going to drain to the sediment in the fuel filter, and drain the fuel tank. Or suggestions, or advice please post thanks everyone
What are you wanting to achieve case 580sm? Was a full service carried out at 4461hrs? - all oils & filters? How long ago was the service done? If it has done only 241hrs since - it only really needs an engine oil & filter change & I would do the fuel filters as well, + manditory inspection of air filters.
Wouldn't hurt to drain the planetaries and axles if the have the original oil in them, check the oil for metal, you might have a failure coming and don't know it. Now is the time to fix it not when it crashes in the middle of a mud hole. Just my opinion from 44 years messing with equipment.
Thanks for replying, When I got the machine it had 4400hrs on it and I just did a oil+filter change and nothing else. At 4461hrs I changed the hydraulic oil+filter. Haven't done anything since to it except regular maintence, air filter, cab filter etc. The fuel filter however needs to be changed-last time it was changed it had 3640 hrs, and it has just over 4700hrs on it now. I think the planetarys are all original in the machine, so I'll check it, and probably consider doing the changes. I don't know when the last time the transmission oil was changed, I guess I'll probably end up doing that too, because it doesn't hurt in my opinion - better be safe then sorry. When that's all done, I just need to replace a hydraulic hose in the rear of the backhoe, and I'm off to the races. Thanks guys, post away
With that info - I would definitely service all 4 hubs - 6-8lts of oil won't kill the budget, sounds like they could do with a change. What do the transmission & rear axle oils look like? Only another 300hrs to 5000...... It's good to do the 1000 hr services according to the hourmeter - so you know more easily where you are with the service intervals - but not knowing when the transmission & rear axle were done last, it's a hard call. If the rear axle oil looks dark I would be inclined to change it - of all the things that will need repairs or can go wrong on an M - it's the rear axle (brakes) that will need attention, so oil changes there would be a priority. If in doubt - oil & filters are cheaper than transmission & axle overhauls
alrman I hear what your saying, and I totally agree. I'm taking a look at the oil in the front, and rear this week. I usually keep it checked, but the shop has been busy. I'm considering doing the front axle oil, and the rear axle to be safe. I'm doing everything on it in 1 go in the spring so it's going to be fun. Thanks for the help, case 580sm
Just this past Saturday, I did a complete service on my 310C, except the hydraulic oil. I was working in my shop and I consider a full hydraulic oil swap to be an outside job when it isn't -26 degrees Celcius out there. I'll do that in the spring. Anyway, I did the coolant, front axle, rear axle and transfer case output, reverser, engine, grease, fuel filter, set the brakes, undercoated it, installed a matched set of belts and separated a mitt full of hoses from each other with cut-up hose, cable ties and wire loom. Still found time to have a few beers with drop-in friends. The machine has about 5,000 hours on it, although I did the front planetaries and reverser 500 hours ago. I want to mention that the 500 hour planetary oil was black in each hub, so I think you will be surprised to see how dark yours is. You will fell better after the full service: it will be the cheapest money you put into the machine.
I think I'm settled for the 4wd oil hubs, and rear axle oil hubs. It'll save me a lot of grief someday, if I'm in a boghole or something, and it fails, and I have to pay the pricetag. Never the less, I'll get-r-done. Thanks guys, Any questions or anyhting you know how to find me, case 580sm