I recently purchased a 1985 480d/ll 2wd skip loader. The centre link of the steering assembly is bent likely from the previous owner driving over something. Both the engine oil pan & shuttle trans oil pan are also dented up. Should this link be completly straight or are there factory bends in it? I would like to try to staighten it out with a press.
It has been alongtime since I havve done it but they can be straightened without a press, it is dangerous though so be extremely careful. It can be done on the machine but is easier off the unit. We used to have that happen on our rental fleet units pretty regularly. Shoot me an email and I will give you the details of how I have done them in the past.
'The centre link' or tie rod should be perfectly straight - I have straightened more than a few with a sledge hammer on a concrete floor, & using couple of bits of hardwood as packing where needed.