Does anyone know the best place to get service manuals on CD for forestry equipment Like John Deere or Prentice. Or do they only sell books? Would the CD's be cheaper then books? Thanks
Hotsaw, I maintain John Deere Equip at my job. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of paper manuals. Starting last year I looked into CD's. They are anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the price of paper. Plus you can print off the section you want, let it get as dirty or trashed as you want, and you can always print new ones. They take up less space in the office, and for the John Deere where they have manuals for engine, chasis, fuel systems, electrical, diagnostics, charging, and drive lines, you can get this burned on one to two CD's. They must be ordered through your Deere dealer through JD's book store. Still pricey, but cheaper than paper. The last paper manuals I got was for an 6230 and the main book was $500, then the engine was $250, FUEL SYSTEM $150, tests and diagnostics $450, MFWD $300. When I got a disc for a similar unit it was $500-600 for every thing on one disc. In most cases the general service manual will cover simple R/R procedures and torque specs. It is when you get system specific that you need the other manuals, Hope this helps. Tom
Thanks for your help Equipment Guy. I didn't realize it was that much cheaper. I think I'll check with the local dealer.Or is there a way to get it online from JD?
check the deere web site, and click on tech manuals or bookstore( I don't remember) it should list whats available for your model. Be advised there are owners manuals listed too, It should list some thing like CTM----CD (component technical manual-CD. Try this and let me know. Tom
Check ebay. I got a manual for out 8300 jd for under $100 bucks. Lots of deals out there.
How do you keep the Cd's from getting scratched and not working after a while? I can't keep normal cd's around the house very long and they end up getting scratched and won't work, let alone out in the shop or on a job site. I'd thought of it a few times and was wonding how others did it and made it work. With paper manuals we usually print out the pages we need and leave the maual where it can stay dry and clean, we just scan it on our printer and print them off as needed, do you just print off the pages you need and leave the cd at home or in the office or download it on a laptop and take that along with you? My luck I'd spend 500 bucks and two days later it wouldn't work or do you make copies of it and use the copies? Just curious as to how the newer tech savy croud does things us older paper generation doesn't know about or understand. Thanks for any replies or advice ahead of time.
1- Copy it to one, or preferably more than one USB flash drives. This method makes it very portable and not likely to be damaged. 2 - Make one or more copies of the original CD. After doing that you can put away the original CD to preserve it in new condition. 3 - Myself, I do all of the above methods with both CD and Paper manuals.
I use a program called alcohol 120%. It lets you load a disk into your hard drive and imulates it. Great way to put all of your manuals onto a hard drive. I also recomend copying them with lots of back ups. Jason
I clean them up with windex