Hey guys, heres a question. My truck air system gets drained daily but still ends up with moisture in the lines enough that rust is coming from my air tools. I oil them in the morning and at shutdown that night and depending on use more times through-out the day. I have no filers or oil injectors on the truck. What are you guys putting on your truck to save your tools? I would like to install something to control the moisture but unfortunately its a company truck so anything I do I will have to pay for so I cant spend a huge amount. I have tried a Milton filter and oiler but that did nothing and started leaking after a short while. I normally dump air system anti freeze and air tool oil in the tank in the winter to prevent freeze ups in the winter but these days in the summer have been quite humid and the amount of moisture scares me when I start seeing the repair bills for the air tools so any suggestions will be helpful.
1- the shop should be repairing your tools. you know this already. 2- get a little squeeze bottle of tool oil and pop some in there any time you hook up. 3- store em in the cab come winter time and or build a rack for them in the compressor compartment like I did. 4- methyl hydrate and or tanner gas directly into the tank. Iven also sprayed about 1/2 can of lubrifilm in the compressor intake to coat the system.
5-move to a warmer climate.
I have the same problem. I'm gonna mount an air dryer off one of the old trucks we've got laying around in the yard. Going to hook it up between the compressor and the tank,and wire it so that it turns on when the compressor is running. Haven't got around to it yet, so can't really tell you if it's gonna work. Just something to think about.
Oiling the tool really doesn't do much as the water is coming from the compressor. If you use a blow gun on a dusty rad you can see water in the dirt, Im tiring to prevent it. I hate adding methal or fluids in the tank as its just a pain. I like the idea of moving but if I doubt it would change too much if there's moisture in the air, but mitch our temps do vary from -40 c to +35 C. I don't work on much trucks anymore so I doubt I could snag a drier but I think that may help but I wonder how it well with the air volume but let me know how it works.
Install an automatic drain valve on your air tank and an air dryer. Someone mentioned oiling your tools before hooking them up. This wont take care of the H20 problem, but it will extend the life of your air tools.
i have one of these on my compressor in my workshop and i had one on my old work truck. i replace with a cheap toilet paper roll once a week and i had a water separator also between both i have nice dry air http://www.ebay.com/itm/230975003343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 also wanted to add it says run at 125 psi my compressor is set @ 180 and it been like that forever with no problems
Wix Aquacheck filters. Have one on the main line and one on the plasma. Best $ you will spend. Change the filter every 6 mo or so.
Had the same problem on my truck so far this summer running a screw compressor. The box manufacture had someone do the warranty work while I was away. (New service truck and I complained about the moisture in the lines). They installed a Vmac after cooler. The idea is great. Take hot compressed air cool it down, collect the moisture. Problem is they installed it at the end of my air system before my hose reel. So now I basically have a very expensive water trap. The after cooler has an electric fan, an auto drain for water and a manual drain. it should have been mounted between my compressor and air tank. In the process of getting it moved.
Ken that's just brilliant, some people. I like the aquacheck filter idea it sounds like a great idea, I went to check our local filter supplier to see if they had something like that but found out they have went out of business. Does anyone know if you can get an auto drain that you don't have to hook power to?
Princess Auto used to sell one that bled off the remaining pressure through the drain whenever the pressure dropped below a certain level when the compressor was shut down, then it closed once pressure starts to build in the tank. I have one and it works OK. Not sure if they still have them, haven't seen them in the store lately.
Harbor freight sells one that is triggered by the idle signal air, it works ok too.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Filters/1000-320-412-647-128.c d.d.
Donkey dr I looked at the link but they appear to be pretty light duty filters. I have tried the Milton one and it doesn't really work too well and It kept blowing the orings on the top as I think the casting was poor. Norite do you have the part number or sku of yours I will call them and see if they have any. I went to the pa by my house and they had very little for any air fittings. I may swing into the other one further north if I have time after work tomorrow.
I don't have a part # or sku # for the tank drain. I think I bought it at the London (Ont) store but it may have been Barrie. We have a PA store here in Sudbury now and I don't see any for sale there. Did a search at PA online, came up with this unit which may be what I have. Unfortunately it is marked as an "archived product, not available for sale" http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Compressor-Components/Auto-Manual-Air-Tank-Drain/8062622.p Googled "auto compressor tank drain" and went to the Centrair site (Devilbiss, DV compressors). They recommend an electronic timed auto drain, which I presume they can supply you. These are also available on ebay in various voltages, 24vdc, 110vac and 220vac. Didn't see any 12vdc units though. What about those auto drains on tractor trailers with air brakes, maybe inquire at a truck parts place?
I see the picture and I don't think the pa one will last long. I think I'm going to price out a bendix DV-2 and try that. It should work. They offer a heated one and a non heated one ill price both. I've got a heater off a drier from a rock truck that I may use. http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=6026 I looked at the harbour freight one and it actually looks pretty nice but you have to run a signal hose to the compressor. http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html I still have to find a filter too but I'll try the drain first. It was raining Saturday and I was running my one inch gun and there was a lot of moisture coming out of the gun.