Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Service truck drawers

nowing75 ยท 2014-10-09 21:39

Just finished building them. No sure if cost effective or not but I made them the way I wanted.

Replies41
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-10-09 21:45

    That is awesome. The time it saves you digging for tools or the cost of replacing cheap boxes every 5yrs makes it worth every penny. Nicely done!

  2. #2dieseldog5.92014-10-09 22:21

    Nice drawers, looks like you are a few months ahead of me, I have been rock paper scissoring myself buy manufactured cabinets or buy a sheet metal brake. Any details? looks like you bought slides and made drawers?

  3. #3mitch5042014-10-09 22:28

    Yes! Nice work, please post some construction details. I have been putting off doing that myself.

  4. #4Mike L2014-10-10 06:21

    Finally! Now you can get started on mine. Just kidding. Nice work!

  5. #5Old Doug2014-10-10 14:49

    Very nice you did a great job. I would like to know more about now you built them.I need one more box for the shop and have thought about building one.

  6. #6Hardline2014-10-10 16:03

    Look good. Where are y'all sourcing the slides? I have access to a box brake and can weld them up. Just want super drawer slides.

  7. #7overworked2014-10-10 18:49

    Please, please, more info, I have three trucks that could use some, nice looking work.:drinkup

  8. #8pburress2014-10-10 19:03

    How about some more pictures and plans? Someone sourced a source for the slides

  9. #9nowing752014-10-10 19:09

    Thanks for the kind words. Drawer slides came from eBay. They are 18" 200# kv slides. The slam latches came from http://www.mooreindhardware.com . I'll look and get the part # Monday. Had the local welding shop fold the drawers out of 14 guage and fold over the top to stiffen them up. I'll look and see if I can find the slides as they were about 1/2 price. Jason

  10. #10FSERVICE2014-10-10 23:08

    very nice looking work there..

  11. #11big ben2014-10-11 01:00

    Looks awesome - 2 things I love about it 1. Positive latches so they don't open when bouncing down gravel roads 2. Only 1 latch per drawer so when you have a hand full of tools to put away you can open the drawer with the other hand. Seen some "heavy duty" drawers with two latches so you need both hands to open 1 drawer

  12. #12brianbulldozer2014-10-11 09:10

    I like the labels too. What kind are they and where did you have them made? Expensive? Thanks.

  13. #13Hardline2014-10-11 09:49

    Was just looking around on google and amazon. They have 500# KV slides too. A bit pricey but wouldn't that be the cats meow.

  14. #14nowing752014-10-11 18:11

    I looked on eBay and the guy I got the slides is not on there anymore. I only payed $20 a pair. I have the #500 lb on the biger drawers but they are taller I went with the #200 so I could get more drawers. They are big into the 5s program so we have a nice label maker at work. I put clear helicopter tape over the labels so they should last a while. Next project is to make a 3' wide drawer for my big wrenches.i will have to take a pic tonight as I lined all the cabinets with the led lights and also under the drip edge.

  15. #15dieseldog5.92014-10-11 21:17

    The big question is cost, I got quotes for similar drawer sets, 1300-2000 per cabinet, didn't want to part with the money but no time to build cabinets till winter, and my toolbox is trashed.

  16. #16nowing752014-10-11 21:28

    I never got a quote for 11 drawers but I bet it would be high. I had some extra time so I made them as time allowed.

  17. #17Mike L2014-10-11 21:32

    All right where's them pictures? You know we're all picture prostitutes about service trucks!

  18. #18pburress2014-10-11 22:08

    Times 2

  19. #19nowing752014-10-11 22:36
  20. #20nowing752014-10-11 22:38
  21. #21nowing752014-10-11 22:41
  22. #22nowing752014-10-11 22:44

    The left center compartment still needs completed. The first pic is with the drip edge lights on. That stuff is great and only about $15 bucks a role on eBay.

  23. #23dieseldog5.92014-10-11 23:13

    Very nice, any plan over the drivers wheel well? A good solution for aerosol cans would help, I have same, enough cans and they don't tip over, I have kept an empty or 2 just to keep the rest up right. I agree, I would also rather drink gear lube than drive an automatic, only automatic I own is a coffee pot!

  24. #24nowing752014-10-11 23:27

    I used to drag race and bracket raced a 4 speed bb nova. Was normally only guy in class with a stick. Still working on best way to do center cabinet.

  25. #25clintm2014-10-12 08:42

    the last one's I had built by a friend of mine that own's a rather large custom body company charged me $200.00 per drawer. I have picked up his mistake's setup's that was built wrong at a good cash deal and mounted them my self .If you have a local fab shop you my be able to find some mistake's

  26. #26Old Doug2014-10-12 10:04

    What about some pictures of the insides? Do you have any good ways to keep wrenches and sockets organised? Do you other guys worrie about the finish wearing off of tools rubbing together?

  27. #27nowing752014-10-12 10:27
  28. #28nowing752014-10-12 10:33

    It's called kaizen foam. It's layers of foam and you peel them out. Wrenches I use ernest orginizers.

  29. #29big ben2014-10-12 12:43

    I'd consider myself above average in the cleaning and organizing dept (Its the German in me hehe) and I just use basic plastic wrench holders and basic metal sockets holders. Can't worry about the finish wearing off or tools touching each other when you run up and down mountain roads or any non pavement roads really and not many service trucks never leave pavement. IMHO if your really worried or hung up on tools rubbing then maybe you need a nice shiny Snap-on tool box and work as a shop tech where you can ensure every tool is cleaned and polished perfectly

  30. #30GregsHD2014-10-12 13:58

    This is why I buy and use the mastercraft maximum wrenches/sockets in my truck, They are damn near the quality of Crap-On at a quarter or better the price and with a better warranty (don't have to hunt down the white truck that seems to avoid you). So I can have lots of spares if need be, and who cares what they look like, it's the quality of work that matters isn't it? Just my 2 pennies :tong

  31. #31pburress2014-10-12 15:34

    Second that

  32. #32clintm2014-10-12 15:42

    all the best heavy equipment or truck mech that I've ever been around their tool's are well experienced and seasoned kinda like their hand's

  33. #33pburress2014-10-12 16:58

    One too, and I don't buy really expensive tools because I'm famous for doing the leave behind

  34. #34nowing752014-10-12 17:33

    Pburress. What part of indy you in. I'm not a big fan of snap on eather. It's not the tool that makes the mechanic.

  35. #35Old Doug2014-10-12 18:05

    I have two sets one to polished and one to use.I have a set of 1/2 drive blackhawk sockets in my pickup tool box rode there for 30+ year that are worn and i have a Snap-on ratchet that is missing chrome from rideing around on my dash looking for a SO truck so i can get it fixed. Most of my tools are bought used. It would be hard if i could aford all Snap-on to let thjem bang together.

  36. #36pburress2014-10-12 19:29

    Indianapolis...

  37. #37nowing752014-10-12 19:42

    I have had good luck at auctions. Big wright wrenches and sockets super cheep. Picked up a pin burner for under $100 and was almost new.

  38. #38pburress2014-10-12 20:12

    I get my hand tools from sears, lowes, menards, etc. air tools come from sears

  39. #39Mike L2014-10-12 20:22

    I like snap on hand tools but haven't had good luck with their air tools. I've had the best luck with ingersoll rand air tools. Absolutely hate craftsman ratchets.

  40. #40brianbulldozer2014-10-12 20:59

    My home made wrench divider in my home made drawers. I used a company called Allegis for my hardware and slides. They have a really complete catalog.

  41. #41pburress2014-10-12 22:46

    And a nice website