Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Service truck parking

92U 3406 ยท 2017-07-25 22:26

Just wondering what all you mechanics do for service truck parking. I own an apartment and I'm pretty sure the condo board would #### a brick if I tried parking a 5500 Ram in the parking lot lol. Ideally I'd just move to an acerage but where I'm located you can't touch a house on an acre of land for less than $600k.

Replies9
  1. #1Junkyard2017-07-25 22:57

    Hell a 5500 ain't bad as long as it isn't marking it's territory.... I say park and see what they say. Anything in your lease stating what can or can't park there? Maybe a GVW limit or something? When I stayed with my mom for a bit several years ago they complained about my 4500, I read their rules and it said over 24 hours. Heck it was never there more than 8 maybe 10. Wouldn't you know the next topic at a homeowner's meeting was that very rule thanks to me . I don't drive mine to the house very often but if I need to I don't worry about it. I park strategically where I don't block a drive or make it hard for somebody to park which in turn means they won't hit me. Although my daughter managed to do just that earlier this year! Her car still has the wound from the IMT work bumper If it was a larger truck like my FL or something that oozed oil all night it might be a different story. I had to throw pig mat under my old Ford when I worked for weaver. I always had something dripping or damn near puking fluid of some sort....

  2. #292U 34062017-07-25 23:12

    Guess a guy could always call the management company and ask. The truck I currently run is too big to fit. Its 8'6" wide and the parking stalls are about 8' maybe 8'3" lol. Been thinking about going out on my own just trying to fit the pieces together.

  3. #3Junkyard2017-07-25 23:18

    Well....ON the lines isn't over them

  4. #492U 34062017-07-26 09:05

    I'm also 26' long with that truck lol. If I buy my own truck its definitely going to be shorter. Probably a regular cab with a 10 foot body. I'd like a nice single axle KW or Western Star but I think that's a little overkill for starting out.

  5. #5Junkyard2017-07-26 09:17

    My 4500 was a long sob, crew cab and 84" cab to axle. You had to pick your spots wisely. If the lot doesn't get full where taking a couple spots wouldn't be a big deal I can't see them being a pain about it but you never know. Around here anywhere but the snobby neighborhoods wouldn't think twice about a truck being there.

  6. #6catfixer2017-08-24 13:47

    I always would park mine in the far back corner at my apartment lot and never got hassled. Other guys I've worked with would either rent a spot at a storage facility, or had a deal worked out with a business near them to park it there.

  7. #7crewchief8882017-09-22 18:06

    i park mine on the street in front of the house, unless theres a prediction of heavy overnight snow, then i put it in the driveway so it's not plowed in when i leave at 5am.. my P/U is usually parked in front of it..

  8. #8SARuger2017-09-22 22:02

    Mine stays on the street in front of my house. Just a 2500 Chevy van but with all my tools in there, its being watched! I have my dash cam set to record any motion in front of the truck, i.e. someone looking at it or scoping it out and I have a security cam pointed it at it, 24 hour loop going to a cloud. My neighbors don't mind it. It blends in with my fleet of Jeeps and the Powerstroke.

  9. #9GaryHoff2017-09-27 22:39

    I park mine on the street. Check your local bylaws first, there may be a weight or length limit in residential. In my area they changed the laws so nothing over 8000kg could drive or park in a residential area. They later changed it back to 12500kg, after they realized that none of the city support contractors could dispatch in a timely manner (tow trucks, mechanics, welders, disabled transport) Tow trucks are suppose to be able to arrive within 15 minutes, and city snow removal equipment has a downtime agreement.