Boss is asking my input on outfitting a part time service truck. I have SO torque angle in 1/2 and 3/8 but they cost a lot and Im not sure the electronics would survive the constant temperature cycling and condensation. Any suggestions? I'm thinking split beam would be the most robust and if someone forgets to back it off it's not the end of the world.
These are what I've had bouncing around in the truck: https://www.mactools.ca/en-ca/NoVal...0157b55c/3-4-Drive-Split-Beam-Torque-Wrenches https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/WRENCH-TORQUE-1-2IN-DRIVE/p/WSWTWA12 All of mine are more than a decade old, at least 5 years bouncing around in the truck. Kept them in the original cases. Just had the calibration on the 3/4 drive checked and its still spot on. I got rid of all my battery powered measuring and torque tools. Never seem to last in a service truck.
Have snap-on digital been bouncing around in service truck truck 10 years seems to hold up no problem
I thew a beam torque wrench in the woods in about 1979 after a problem. Never used one again. Put that WD45 together without a torque wrench. Mostly using Snap On click torque wrenches with a flip lever on the side. Do not have to back them off and they probably have 300,000 miles of them. May have been recalibrated once or twice. No batteries. They will not torque LH bolts. Bought them around 1985. Next to new guys Snap On wrenches that do torque and degrees are really cool. He takes the batteries out after ever use. They are about 6 years old but stay in the shop.
Looked at your links after my post. See I was talking about different type beam wrenches.
I have concerns about keeping something like a techangle in the rig all the time too. I'm partial to my split beams and I also have two Icon wrenches for non flex head that have been pretty good for overseas wrenches.
Split beams would be what I want. All three of the “shop use” torque wrenches are split beams here at work, with the 3/4 drive one getting the most use. Quick and easy to set and reliable and durable. Get the flex head versions for 3/8 and 1/2.
Jd955c: recommended brand(s)? Looks like the precision instruments heads don't flex much based on reviews.
Precision Instruments is a good brand as is CDI (CDI is owned by Snap On and is who makes their torque wrenches). Both of those brands only flex about 15 degrees either way but that’s almost always good enough for clearance. I don’t think you will find any brand that flexes more. both of those brands are pretty much identical to each other. The Snap On version just adds a Dual 80 ratchet head and doubles or triples the price.