Hello everyone, I recently picked up a parts engine for my old Bobcat (Ford KSG416 / I4-98) with a thrown rod. I tore it down for parts and discovered it had spun the main and rod bearings and eventually one had let go. When I took the external oil pump off I found what I think was the reason for the bearings to fail - someone had used copious amounts of silicone gasket maker to seal the pump to the engine. Unfortunately they used so much that the oil ports on the pump were severely restricted and starved the engine of oil. Saving a few bucks on gaskets cost this guy an engine. For what I paid for it though I came out well, lots of good parts on it still. Anyway, just thought I’d share...
Couple more... and a link to the video I made of tearing it down...
Wow what a terrible spot to use tons of goop I like to use a proper amount permatex anaerobic sealer and primer rather than that stringy RTV but still an oil pump is a bad spot to skimp
But silicone is a lubricant right?
RTV (silicone) is one of the most misused sealers made, but it works very well when used correctly in the right application
ONLY Need a light Skin coat of RTV ON a Gasket and not use it to replace a gasket, all too many 'Blue Glue' users out there consider a little not enough and huge beads of the goo as handy. Been chasing this problem or these problem creators since Automotive Blue Glue first came out close to fifty years ago.
When Permatex came out with "Ultra Blue" guaranteed not to leak I scoffed and bought a tube. Damn stuff was magic. Use just enough spread on with a finger so you can't see through it. I still use the blue or the grey for anything that might need a little help sealing. The actual gasket makers are good stuff, but again, just enough you can't see through it. With metal to metal mounts and gaps that should be measured in tenths of thousandths, there's no need to squeeze out huge excess beads of gel. An old friend called me in one time on an AC loader that was leaking engine oil at the filter mount, supposedly just rebuilt engine. Removed the mount and found that incorrect O-rings had been used, not fat enough. Someone had attempted to seal it with what I swear was "Shoe Goo", clear jelly goop which had squeezed out and was hanging in the oil passageways. After cleaning it out and installing the correct O-rings I informed the owner just how close they had been to buying another engine, one blob of that crap breaking off and traveling into the crankshaft would have plugged some oil passage, probably right at the bearing. Take your choice, main or rod, or camshaft. Stupid.
LOL!!!! I cant even count how many times I've seen this in 35+ years.
AVE on YouTube says it best "A dab will do ya and a glob will screw ya"
Ave is a hoot to watch on You Tube.
Plus 1 on AvE. That guy is a hoot. Keep your D$@k in a vice.