Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Setting a Cemetary Monument?

wilddanz71 ยท 2010-02-08 18:57

Tomorrow I will be setting a Granite cemetary monument with my 844 Lull forklift. We estimate the top to weigh about 8-9K lbs!! I have already lifted this and placed it on cribing, but this was laying flat usind the forks only. Tomorrow I need to stand it on end lifting it with straps. Oh ye it measures 6' wide 2' deep by 8' tall solid granite. I am not planing on extending the boom or cariage at all so I have all the lifting capacity. My question is, what is the best way to strap this. I just bought 2 new 18' straps rated at 12k each. I am a little woried about how to get the straps out from under the two peices of granite. any advice???? Thanks DAN

Replies12
  1. #1DigDug2010-02-08 19:11

    I would wrap straps around it , not under it. Put them 1/3 of the way down from the top on the front and back so the straps are 2' apart not 6' way. Good luck you should have no problem.

  2. #2DigDug2010-02-08 19:14

    Dan, if you ever had to set one monument on top of another and for some reason had to have the straps between them , try this. Put a layer of ice cubes on the bottom monument , then set top monument and pull straps out. Then as ice melts the two units will be one.

  3. #3wilddanz712010-02-08 19:16

    I heard abot that trick, but was woried about it sliding around untill it melts?

  4. #4wilddanz712010-02-08 19:20

    do you think just chokeing it will be enough to hold it? it wont slip out from the straps? I did hear this meathod from a freind also so I quess I can try it. thanks

  5. #5wilddanz712010-02-09 06:48

    any other advice?

  6. #6Bumpsteer2010-02-09 07:38

    I've re-set a few gravestones with my skidsteer, nothing close to what your doing... I always went around the stone, used a chain that had a section of old cloth covered firehose as a sleeve to protect the granite. Ed

  7. #7wilddanz712010-02-09 11:12

    Well It is all set!! It went just as planed, My old 844 lull did one hell of a job. I will try to get some pics up later.

  8. #8landrvrnut222010-02-09 11:50

    I have used this trick for setting safes in stores. The safe ussually comes on a pallet. So you use a pallet jack, and crank it up, break the pallet out from under it. Then wheel it in position, put bags of ice under, and let it melt. When it is on the floor, cut the bag away with a utility knife, and walk away. Works like a champ.

  9. #9digger242j2010-02-09 14:55

    Man, you learn something new every day around here...

  10. #10liebherr11602010-02-09 15:24

    I've done Three ...Head stones ..granite ..fragile ..dosent tollerate a shock or pressure point .. Dry Ice ...every time was used by the contractor..12in squares ..1-2inches thick usually four ..some times 6 or 8 .. Its denser , == stronger less shatter or uneven breaks It melts to vapour not liquid = no skating Ice is a little weird ..depending how much air is in it and the mineral content of the water ..melting can be hit or miss Given ambient temperature and humidity ..Dry ice melt is somewhat predictable...and it melts evenly because it pure .... But the big one was the skating ...Dry ice everytime ..Made a believer out of me..

  11. #11DigDug2010-02-09 17:33

    Great Dan , glad it went well! Lieberher - yes , dry ice is excellent to use. Just that Im cheap and have gotten by fine with ice.

  12. #12Squizzy246B2010-02-10 07:49

    Bit late on this one but we use Lewis Pins for this stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_(lifting_appliance ) I ordered my 2.5 tonne (5,500 lbs) lewis pins from some mob in the UK