Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

setting beams with a mini

Natman · 2018-07-29 16:45

I pulled onto this jobsite the other day to set the trusses, with my 30 ton National rider boom truck (110' of stick plus the jib) and now that I'm "a mini excavator guy", got a laugh out of this. The 18K Cat worked great for setting the LVL beams, (it didn't hurt my feelings at all they didn't use me for that) even 16' high. Another example of what you can with one besides the obvious, digging a hole.

Replies5
  1. #1hvy 1ton2018-07-29 21:37

    Never seen a post frame with a perimeter beam like that. Were the trusses a different spacing than the posts or is it for snow load?

  2. #2td25c2018-07-29 22:09

    I was guessing trusses every 4' with one between the post ?

  3. #3Theweldor2018-07-29 22:15

    Up here in snow country they put two of them around the perimeter. One inside and one outside.

  4. #4td25c2018-07-29 22:52

    Looked like the excavator did well . Don't worry Natman ….. There is always the Television business . Set a tower yesterday and ran new cable & booster to pick up the digital signal . Love climbing those towers to rig them . LOL ! Gotter up & TV scanned in just in time to catch Steve McQueen in the last episode of " Wanted Dead or alive " . https://www.metv.com/shows/wanted-dead-or-alive Customer was happy !

  5. #5Natman2018-07-31 08:45

    Not the way post and beemers are usually done around here either! Most use doubled up girder trusses with hangars sitting right on the posts, with purlins spanning cross wise. If I'm involved, or any crane service, they often have these sections all framed up and ready to lift as a unit. the trusses were 24" OC. One good thing was I got to scrounge a few 6 by 6 scraps, always useful for chocks or blocking, and propping up trailer tongues etc.