thinking of getting my service truck rigged up for making hydraulic hoses. Seems to be lots of compact crimpers on the market to choose from. How are you guys storing your spare hose? We use mostly 1/2 or 3/4 hoses so thats all i will be looking to have with the truck, and keep the full inventory in the shop. Also do you keep a full size chop saw in your truck or is there something a little more compact that would work well for hoses? Theres a little 6" chop saw at northern tool, like the concept but open to thoughts on it.
Had a parker setup years ago with a air pump, used a 5" side grinder with a thin cut off wheel. I did not have enough room for 5 spools so 25' coils worked for me and as left over shorter hoses under 6' could standup in several taller compartments. I would bill by the foot, ended up with lengths unusable, rather have the spools if there was room to cut as needed less waste
Could use a set of manual cutters or just an air or electric grinder with a cutting disc for cutting your hose to length. You probally already have the grinder so one less tool to store and take up space on the truck.
my thoughts exactly, didnt know how percise you had to be with getting a 90deg cut. Grinder with a zip cut would be good enough?
Sure. just put the hose in your vise, should be able to get pretty close to square.
I use a grinder, but believe it or not, most of my old logger customers use an axe!
Better to use a scallop blade. Check to see if your supplier requires minimum quantities on hose and or fittings. Makes a difference depending on how much you want to tie up in inventory.
I use a 6" grinder with a zip wheel, works fine.
I also use an air grinder,even in the shop.It amazes me that no matter how many ends I have,I need a different one.But I keep a good stock of pipe thread,flat faced o-ring, jic and forseal fittings in the truck.
just make sure when you get done grinding through that hose you have a way to clean the debris out of the hose or you'll be taking out pumps and valves. jr
This. Make sure the hose is spotless before you install it. Use plugs to cover the ends of the hoses. With the dust and dirt that you will most likely be in, the insides of the hoses can get very dirty. It doesn't take much to take out some high dollar parts.
Well what brand of hose and fittings are you going to be usings? and also what about a crimping machine what brand?
How about storing/organizing all the fittings? Do you use the durham style metal boxes or what works best for in the service truck? pics would be great. Thanks again for all the tips so far
You can cut hydraulic hose with a simple chop saw using an abrasive cutting wheel. This does create a lot of dust and debris, so be sure to clean out your hose thoroughly before installing it. A few minutes now could prevent some very expensive repairs later. DiscountHydraulicHose.com has a line of adjustable hose crimpers, from manual powered to air-powered to electric. These crimpers are a lot more versatile than ones from Parker or Weatherhead, which are only designed to crimp their own fittings. With an adjustable crimper, you can dial in any crimp diameter you need (within the range of your dies), allowing you to crimp hose and fittings from almost any manufacturer. The model you choose will depend on a few factors. The small portable D100 Series units are all capable of crimping of crimping 2-wire hose up to 1" ID, so I would look at those first. If you want something with more power and capability, the D165 works faster and comes with an electric pump. The D165 can crimp 2-wire and 4-wire hoses up to 1-1/4" ID. Hydraulic Hose Crimpers
I was actually thinking of ordering from discount hydraulics. I was thinking about the portable crimper with the air pump. What hose style do you recommend? I was thinking either the R16 or 17. We use 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 is becoming common for us as well. Most equipment we run is agriculture implements so we arnt dealing with really high pressures, but we also do have some construction excavating equipment so would like to be somewhat set up for that as well.
Actually, if you are putting hoses on outdoor equipment, such as excavators and farm implements, I would suggest SAE 100R2AT . It costs less and has a thicker, more durable cover than either 100R16 or 100R17.