I am going to look at a Cat D6R dozer. It is a 1999 SN 51N machine is what I have been told. Unit has new rails, sprockets top rollers and idlers are 75% plus Unit was a county machine. Does Cat make a Kit to add Hyd oil cooling capacity to unit if you want to plow with it? I see new Dozer being used that are PS units. What year did Cat start using electronic fuel injection on the dozer?
I think it is probably a 5LN. That particular model started production in 1996. I think the Series II machines around about 2002-3 time frame.
Thanks, I have seen video of Cat High Drive dozer root plowing in South Texas. I don't think they are Direct Drive units. Did Cat add cooling capacity for the transmission or did they start using a lockup torque convertor to help the heat buildup?
There was never a direct-drive model of the D6R made AFAIK. Unless it was a Custom Shop attachment (which doesn't appear in the normal system) there is no trace of any type of additional cooling capacity for the power train. No lockup converter, again AFAIK.
Thanks, I will call HOLT Cat in San Antonio next week and ask them about using newer tractor to plow with.
According to Cat Performance Handbook #33 there was a direct drive D6R at least theoretically available however in Japan only and seemed to simply have the standard 3 speed power shift transmission, and I suspect the same foot controlled clutch they used in previous models.
Well I pulled the trigger and purchased this dozer. I decided to go with something newer that still has a mechanical fuel injection pump.
I think you will find the S/N prefix is 5LN, not 51N.