Lol! just kidding I did finally get my new/old truck, and I still can't believe I made it all the way home. The sum total of my experience after the bare minimum to get my class 1 is 0, that is 0 hours, 0 miles, just plain 0. Somehow, I made it home with no tach or speedometer-neither of which I had time to fix. mountain passes are beginning to get snow, no time to waste. The truck had been sitting for 15 years, and it was 336 miles from home, but it was pretty darn close to exactly what I wanted. So I took a chance, got up very early on Sunday, made the drive, and spent close to 8 hrs prepping the truck for the road. Supposed to leave monday 6:00 a.m. at 5:30 a.m. I realize the alternator would not keep up with the lights/defroster blower etc, discharging about 15-20 amps. 8:30 decide to make a run for it, get about 2 miles down the road and the fuel filter I was scared to take off shut the truck down to a crawl. I have never owned one of these big trucks before so even though I bought one of every filter I could get, I didn't install the fuel filter for fear of injector bleeding issues. fortunately I had 5 gallons of diesel in the back of my pickup so we just filled the new filter and spun it on. truck started right up without missing a beat and came right back to life. away we go, back on the road, after stopping and picking up 2 more fuel filters for the road (one of which was needed about 300 miles later). So, anyways, charging problem seemed to go away, in that the ammeter came up to what looked like about 1 or 2 amps to the positive side so I figured I might get away with it... not so lucky. made a stop about 60 miles down the road and shut the engine down, went start it, dead batteries. fortunately managed to get a jump start, and there was an old trucker there that showed me the screw to turn to make the fuel pump full mechanical and bypass the shut off solenoid. So really, the best possible thing that could have happened was for the batteries to fail right when they did... and Thank You to the anonymous trucker! :scool the rest of the trip went quite well. only ran into some snow/slush going through the first of 4 mountain passes. gotta say, that old truck has lots of snort. drives surprisingly well too, don't think I'm going to worry about steering for now. there are still plenty of small things to deal with, but I think they're pretty well all associated with all the years it sat. By all appearances, I think the previous owners (36 yrs) took pretty good care of it.:salute there was one filter none of the local jobbers had in stock, looks like an oil filter, does anyone know exactly what's going on with that one? it is shown with yellow arrow in one of the pics, I believe the Fleetguard number is FL3363
LF3363 would be the main lube oil filter that fits Cummins of some sort, probably right.
Nice truck, I had a local customer that had 2 KW's from BC that were identical minus the hood stripes, but were powered with 8V92 Detroits, they made some nice heavy duty farm trucks.
That looks like an NTA 400 Terry
Small Cam block with pulse manifold and later Holset turbo, I can't see the oil pan very well. If it's stamped steel and runs 20 -40 oil psi it's a Magnum 400. Is there a CPL number? If it's a mag it would read CPL 695. Truck Shop
It looks like a pulse manifold but the water pump is located on the front of the oil cooler. The Magnum was in the front of the block. Terry
Interesting how thin and bendy the frame gets as it approaches the bumper, must be a safety breakaway! Glad you made it home time to clean all of your grounds and connections, charge up those batteries right full and see about testing that alternator.
thanks for all the replies, I was still pretty excited about the whole thing the next day after the trip. winning guess is NTA400 but the engine has evidently been rebuilt to ntc specs. maybe they modified fuel delivery systems/timing in some way? I will do some tinkering before freeze up, then the truck will probably sit another winter out, in the spring will do whatever it takes to safety it and the trailer and then haul the occasional load of logs for my woodmizer. you know, I think I'm still stoked. got to go run it up and down the driveway for a bit
I missed that one-looking at the injector pump I'm thinking it's AFC. And I wonder if as Relic says the engine was built to NTC specs that they used BCIII pistons and made a Magnum mock. That was done with quite a few of those. Truck Shop