I must be showing my age. I can remember when everything on this was a current model ........!! The message is just as relevant today as it ever was IMHO. Was the voice over done by Col. Sherman T Potter of the 4077th MASH.?
My favorite safety film. When I was the MSHA safety director for 20 plants, I used to show this once/year at each plant. The older guys loved this film. I always showed it right after the lunch break, to wake everyone up. Lots of funny stuff, but it still makes a person think about safe practices. Jeff
Must be standard video from MSHA, as I've seen this for twenty years as well.
Twenty years? Seems like I first saw that one one just like it 40 years ago! Back then the company would have a once a year "safety dinner" for the various quarries, good steak dinner, and they would always show this right after the meal! Guess they thought that added something to the impact of the movie.
we were shown the same video at trade school when I was an apprentice. some things never get old. there should be a farm video made with a kid in the cab and the parent outside while the engine or machine is running. i'm sure it would change a few operating habits for the better. I still use the DO NOT OPERATE tags and over the years that habit has at the least, prevented somebody else from starting a piece of equipment that was under repair while waiting for parts (maybe days or weeks)
Nothing to do with MSHA Grandpa. Cat made this video back in 1980, back in the day when every machine model had VHS videos for both inspection & operation. I think I may still have some of them in my loft somewhere.
I was first introduced to this video by my MSHA trainer as well. This and "remember Charlie " that was brutal. Always thought it odd, the mines and quarries preach safety but in actuality , don't practice it. It was why I left quarry work behind. Thanks Nige, good stuff.
Maybe where I worked was somewhat an exception to that "rule" but there were times that they seemed to a bit too focused on some details. But other times you could use this to your advantage. Say you wanted a new tool that would save you some work and time doing a job. Just figure out a way to word it to sound like it would be a way to make the job safer and the purse strings got looser fast at times. It could back fire though, if you made a job appear dangerous to do they would farm that one out to some outside contractor while you had your hours cut saying there was no overtime work this weekend! Always pi$$ed me off to see outside contractors doing things that would get one of us wrote up for doing.
The place I was refused to spend money, had to beg for nuts and bolts, it was ridiculous. Shameful really. 40 ton haul truck w only 2 functioning brake calipers, 2 out of 12 . The guy who took care of the field system, his front end was completely clapped out, I had to destroy everything upon removal to get parts otherwise they'd have me put it back together. I hope where I was , wasn't the standard but it seems pretty consistent.
There is another one of those old safety films that I think Cat made. I can not remember the film name, but I believe Richard Widmark did the narration.
Believe it or not, I never saw this film until a couple of years ago. Some of the young lads at work were laughing about something, said that it reminded them of "Shake hands with Danger" When I had the blank look, they had to tell me about it. Then when I got home I looked it up. By 1980, I was finished with my training so never saw it in trade school, but surprised that I never saw it during a safety meeting.
Went to work for a small coal mine in 1981 and found out about being under MSHA rules. I don't know if the rule came in right then or maybe a little later but everyone had to go through 40 hours of safety training the first time and the eight hours every year there after. I spent almost nine years working under MSHA surface coal mine rules and was forced to sit through that film every year. For newbies it seemed to work OK. For the rest of us who could recite the narration it became tedious and a joke. Management wouldn't pay for things like jacks and jack stands. Tag out procedures consisted of just pulling the key and locking them up somewhere. Black out curtains were what you could find to keep the arc welding flash less visible and plywood got used a lot to prevent air arcing sparks from flying into something flammable. People were working alone at night all the time and communications gear generally was how loud you could yell. Somehow we only had a few lost time accidents and never got anyone killed.
Safety? First thing people need to be aware of their surroundings and alert. A friend of my brother went to work on the pipeline in Alaska. It's a wonder the man can walk to this day. He was working on a paddle wheel scraper when the next thing he knew he was being pulled through the frog. A moron climbed into the cab ignored the red tag out of service used at the time-you can guess what happened. Another incident only with a 988-that guy was lucky he didn't get crushed, the guy who climbed in the cab wasn't so lucky though, he got his head and *** beat all to hell.
Behavioral reinforcement is sometimes very painful when the teacher is very stressed!
Well years ago after Norm, the best guy I ever worked with, took a transfer to another quarry closer to his house. They hired a guy who was to be my helper. One day while I was in the cab trying to trouble shoot an intermittent failure to crank problem on a Mack truck who comes sliding out from under the truck? I asked him what he was doing and his reply was he thought while the truck was in the shop it would be a good idea to check the clutch adjustment for free play under the truck! I don't recall what I did say but tried to explain that was not a smart thing to be doing while he knew someone was in the cab without letting me know he was under there! Not too much latter he I guess talked to the boss and got transferred over to the black-top plant in the quarry as a helper over there. Not sure the rest of the story but don't think he stayed at the quarry for more than a year after that. This same guy had previously worked for a fleet that mainly hauled milk to processing plants from farms. He complained about the rules there on how often they were suppose to wash their hands while working on the trailers!
I'm weary of others when comes to any of this type of work. I experienced a incident back in the 80's on a recovery while towing. Because of it I want to see the hands of the operator are off the controls while I or anyone is working in spot that could cost them life or limb. I damn near lost my right hand, which would have effected me in many ways. But not just that I would have to learn everything over using my left hand--I would no longer be able to do the one thing the one talent that I was given and that would have been devastating not only for me but others who like my work.
When you mention the hands off the controls, it reminded me of doing that and requiring operators on lifting equipment to put up their hands when the ground man wanted everything to stop so people could get close. I told them I wanted to see those hands at the same level as their nose and I did the same. Anyone getting smart or making some dumb remarks about it was taken off the project and given a number 2 shovel and made to dig out sediment boxes and dump garbage cans. I also used the hands up when the operation of the lifting unit had problems. Say the boom on the boom truck got the shakes going down or a loader bucket wanted to dump too fast and you had to stop it and start again. When my guys saw my hands off the controls, everyone got clear.
Memories, watched this is diesel school about 1983
The MSHA trainer I use still uses all the old films in our 8 hrs in the hole. EVERY TIME !!!! lest you know whats coming.
When I was running a machine lifting or moving something and a person on the ground gave the signal to stop and hold. I would immediately remove my hands from controls and cross my arms so they could see I was not going to do anything. One other thing that would **** me off was if running a machine to move or lift something is when two or more people would start trying to direct you! I would stop and motion towards the person who I felt was the one who should be doing all the directing. Bosses always seemed to be the biggest danger in cases like that. Some think they have to be in charge. Way back when I started at the quarry we had a boss who had been around the business for many years but once in a while he would fall into this bad habit. Then once he came to his senses he would stop and tell the worker who was actually the one handling the project, I've got a phone call to make at the office, let me know how it goes and if you NEED something!"
The irony of this thread, two hours ago I was up at the yard checking the trailers making sure those were all running and noticed the life flight chopper taking off{the truck shop is located at the air port]. 20 minuets ago I received a call that my best friend Steve was loading a 20,000 gallon tank and something went wrong. It rolled over him crushing him. His son called me and didn't have many details so I'm kind of in the dark about what happened other than the local hospital said he suffered many broken ribs, dislocated shoulder and a crushed pelvis, but he was coherent. Steve is a real good guy and tries to help anyone he can. He was flown to Spokane.
Sorry to hear about your Friend truck shop One of the most over looked and underrated safety things I see is excavations especially in the current labor market I see plumbers getting into 10 foot deep ditches without shoring in class c material and they think there is nothing wrong there are 2 companies I quit digging for for these reasons My dad talks about the 70s when he was working on an underground crew 20 feet deep no shoring or benches he had to recover more than 1 body from a cave in after he dug 2 guys out alive he quit the following week as an operator I never want to dig anyone up alive or dead I draw the line at digging graves
Sorry to hear about the accident. I wish the best for your friend on his recovery. I hear the hospitals in Spokane are very good.
Wishing your friend all the best and a speedy recovery TS.
One more with wishes for Steve TS!
Thank you, apparently they have him plugged in with chest tubes and this morning will put pins in his pelvis. Fortunately the internal bleeding is minimal, they did find fractured vertebra in his lower back also. The only good side of this is Steve is a real tough old bird and i'm sure he will overcome this, he is an old logger, he knows adversity all to well.
Wishing him well
Wish no one serious injuries, hope for the best from here. I saw this video at St. Charles Quarry in 83, had similar vids played when in the truck leasing shops. The nuke was brutal for safety programs, a safety meeting per crew minimum once a week with some form of video and unless signed were there would have to watch it over again. Safety Stand downs anytime ANYTHING close call occurred and when a injury happened the whole plant was in stand down except the control room and essential personnel.
I somehow missed this turn of events, The best for your friend Mike.
Truck shop that’s terrible but I hope your friend makes a full recovery. As far as safety goes I have trust issues when working with most people. I’ve nearly been flipped off of jack stands, nearly hit while someone else was operating controls to line up pins, etc people get into too much of a hurry when the machine doesn’t respond as quick or they get frustrated with a job that isn’t going as quickly and smoothly as they’d like.
I'm that way too. When installing buckets or hydraulic cylinders and such on equipment at the quarry I always liked working with Norm. He I trusted 100%. We could almost always manage to install things like that with at the most a dead-blow hammer. Way too many times working with other people the first thing they would reach for was a 12 Lb sledge and start beating away. And besides doing the job with out resorting to the big hammer we could get it done in half the time others would take!
Around here these days that tag isn't good enough and your story there showcases why. Before we even lay a wrench on a machine we have to have it locked out. Its such common practice that 99% of the machines in this region have lockout kits on their battery disconnect switches. Yes I realize that someone can bypass those disconnects relatively easily on some machines but it takes a lot more effort to do so than simply ignoring a tag on a steering wheel or joystick. Even when I worked on trucks I'd take the keys and tuck them away inside my toolbox or pocket. Oh and I wish your friend a speedy recovery as well. Very lucky fella.
We go further than that and actually double lock everything. The master switch gets a blue Departmental Lock on it. The key for that lock goes inside the "Work Area Lock Box". The WALB is locked with a second Departmental Lock that is kept in the Lockout Station cabinet (which is also locked). Anyone who works on the machine puts their red Personal Lock on the WALB. So after the last person takes his lock off the WALB it can be opened for the key to take the lock off the machine and power it up again. Overkill for most operations but when we have 50+ people on every shift covering a 24/7 operation you can't be too careful, especially when you might have multiple trades working on the same machine at the same time. It's instant termination for anyone working on a machine without locking out first.
A lot of the mine sites up here are the same way. Safety is good but it really irks me when they put all these policies and procedures in place, add extra paperwork etc and then not quote the jobs to reflect all the extra stuff they want us to do. Can't expect a guy to do an hour job in 1 hour when you add 30 minutes of extra work to the task.
Steve is doing fine by the way. My other safety issue is the way people use jacks. Some don't seem to understand that it takes more than a pop bottle cap and a gum wrapper to hold things up.
Glad your friend is doing well. Cam
Glad to hear that TS. If you see him please let him know there are plenty of people he doesn't know pulling for him.
I see your point. However the dealer guys we have working in our shop are paid by the hour not by a quoted price for a job, so your issue of added time for the "paperwork" does not apply to us. As I said before it's the complication of large numbers of people potentially comprising half a dozen different trades in the immediate vicinity of a piece of equipment. The middle photo of my post #33 the WALB has 5 personal locks on it. When we're doing major work on a big excavator I've seen the WALB with hardly a spare hole left in it (it has 30). It's not one/two mechanics working on a piece of equipment like the situation you most likely find yourself in. Horses for courses, what works for us is not necessarily what will work for someone else. I think you also have to bear in mind the 3rd World location and lack of safety awareness in the local culture. That has a lot to do with the systems that are put in place, it's trying to protect people from themselves.
At the Nuke we had Tag Out Lock out "Workman's Protection" we called WPA, had four tag programs, Informational(Blue Tag), Caution tagging(Yellow Tag for Equipment protection), Local Controls for Trades(Pink Tags) and Hold Offs where NOTHING could be manipulated or moved(Red and White Tags) that we restrained with large Colored Nylon Ties(Called them HooHaws) cables and locks dependent of location and mechanism type. Had personal lockout devices for those conditions where trades used Local Controls and could locally lock out components. We had to remove as much energy source as manageable for Hold offs, leak-by of liquids or gases would shut the tagging down. Cranes were further restrained by seismic locks then energy sources to release those locks also restrained, man lifts had batteries disconnected, vehicles also had batteries disconnected and cable end covers zip tied on. STILL Had idiots would manipulate up or downstream components or try to reconnect wiring or try to start systems with partial tagging removed. Repair outages would get scary as to managers getting impatient working to clear protection in pieces to gain time on system recovery, almost steam cooked two welders by doing that in '01. Every repair outage/refueling we went thru the old hands called them Refuel One revision umpty squat as always trying to improve on that first one but never quite getting there. My last was revision 21.
Wish I had a picture of the blocking done by someone a couple miles from here a car that is being worked on outside. If I recall front of car is supported by two cement blocks laying on their side and a a 2X4 across them. I might try to find a reason to drive past that place and get a picture!
I was on our strata board a couple years ago. We have rules stating you cannot perform work on your vehicle in the parking lot. Nobody got upset about people changing a headlight or a flat tire out (we're all pretty reasonable). One guy decided to change out a unitized front wheel bearing on his car in the lot. Early spring so the snow and ice on the lot is melting and he had his car propped up on nothing more than that chincy little jack they give you for putting your spare tire on! Sat like that an entire day before I reported it. Young children live here. Last thing we want is someone getting hurt because the car slipped off the jack. Just stupid IMO.
They say the ute was “significantly damaged” ....? https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/11728944
Now who put that there!!!
Park the ute on the blind side of a haul truck and then wonder why it got run over. Nice one Batman.....
One item that no one should trust when jacking is air ride suspension, a block should be placed between bottom of frame and top of axle then jack it up. If the rig has air leaks and most do trusting the air bags will stay inflated is a mistake especially with air trailers. Dock Walk as it's known will cause the trailer to crab forward up to 3" inches as the bags deflate which if a jack is supporting the axle it will move or push the axle right off the jack. If it is a wheeled air jack it can kick the handle straight up as the axle slips off, and make for a really bad day. Some trailers now come equipped with swing down supports that lock the axle in a inflated position when trailer brakes are set. But the real mistake is not setting the trailer brakes first then jacking after trailer has settled if plumed that way.
No idea of the circumstances but heard that a pick-up (AKA Ute) got run over at one of the company's plants somewhere. It is a world wide company so could be anywhere in the world. Anyhow now all company pick-ups have to have yellow strobe light on the roof. Not sure if that counts when parked during the day!
Made the mistake of trusting a Hydraulic jack crawling under a differential, truck started easing down and I could not get out as Had NOT placed a stand to prevent that from lowering too far. Buddy in the shop heard and saw raised that leaking jack back up, was the LAST time I did not use stands when accessing under a machine.
I was taught in the mid 70's to NEVER park or drive up to the blind side of a large piece of equipment.
You head into a mine up here and they won't even let you in to the active mine area in a vehicle without a flashing amber strobe and lighted buggy whip set at minimum 12'6 (if the vehicle is under 12'6) Headlights and tail lights need to be on too.
This is our standard for an in-pit light vehicle. We use LED buggy whips which are the best I've ever seen. Far better than just a light on the top, flashing or not. https://www.hella.com/mining/en/LED-Buggy-Whip-1469.html
We're not allowed to park within 20 metres of a piece of equipment, blind side or not, unless it has been locked out first.
Years ago had to weld on the underside of a Link Belt LS118 track frame. Had the operator move it away from the river where I could get to it. It was at quitting time, and everyone left. Slid under on my back and air arced the cracks out. Pulled myself out with my heels, grabbed rod, turned the welder down and slid back under. Fat dumb and happy, welding away when it seemed to be a little tighter. Ahh, can't be, and burned more rod. Then, you know that feeling you get in your gut when something just isn't right, and you're not sure what? Hummm, I cant take a deep breath. That forkin pig was sinking into the dirt, and pinning me under it. Your heels don't get much bite, but man I was kickin and pullin and wigglin. I made it out, shirt around my chin, chest peeled and raw, one ear bleedin. Finished it the next day, at lunch, with someone around. On solid ground. Had to do it the next day, was shakin too hard to finish it then...
Talking about truck running over pick-ups/Utes just reminded me about something that happened at another one of the company's quarries near here many years ago. Believe it was during the night shift and they were finishing up some work on one of their haul trucks in the shop. Nothing big like Nige has just a little M65 Mack or maybe a 773 Cat. Well just before they fired up the truck in the shop night Superintendent pulls up and parks his Ford pick-up across the ramp outside the big overhead door and gets out and walks away. Well you can imagine what happened when the right rear duels caught that Ford right behind the cab, real low-rider Ford! Another one of those time I wish I had a camera handy like most do with cell phones these days! ------------------- And thinking about that one reminded me of one that hit a bit closer to home. Yea it was my dad! He was the working group leader at the quarry! Well he was doing his rounds and had to check with the driller who was working up on the next shot. He parked his pick-up well back from the face and walked over to talk to the driller. IR DrillMaster with 8V-71 so it was a bit noisy. When he was done turned and started to walk back to truck and wondered who had taken his truck! Layers of the limestone in the quarry are pretty flat but do have some wavy sections. At least one of the haul truck drivers had a good idea where the truck was as he watched it coming off the 40-50 foot face nose first. Guess he just about had a heart attack thinking there was someone in it! Guess when dad shut the truck off then put it in park he did not quite get it all the way in park!
I remember a funny one that happened in a shop I was working in. One of the boy's was burning the frozen shock studs off 8 bag air ride and the shock bushing started flaming up so he grabbed a jug of Extreme Blue window wash and dowsed it. You can imagine what happened for a split second, fortunately nothing bad happened, but he had the dumbest look on his face.
I know someone who serviced a skidsteer and neglected to wash the spilled fuel off He then had to cut a bracket off to fix the engine access door so he commences to torching Of course it flares the diesel up pretty good. Somebody goes to grab a fire extinguisher but he says “no no I’ve got it” turns the acetylene off and tries to blow it out with the oxygen jet Turns out that doesn’t help, who knew lol
This is my Dodge in the mine, with it's buggy whip light on top. It flashed blue and red and yellow in a sequence. Not real bright but bright enough. We supplied our own trucks at this site and leased them back to the company for onsite use. Seen here in a image of the evidence of a night shift truck operator that came out of the shop and turned on to the main mill access road (small vehicle traffic) and after realizing the error went through the berm to get back on the haulage circuit. this was in the area of an intersection where the berms were short to provide visibility for small vehicle drivers... this changed just about instantly.
So much for the recommended standard that the height of the berm is supposed to be at least 50% of the height of the largest size of tyre fitted to any piece of equipment that rolls down the road.............. That berm wouldn't stop a pickup, let alone a 793. This is the nearest I could find to what we have. Imagine that buggy whip being red and mounted on top of the roll bar behind the cab. (see post #50)
The single problem of all the lights buzzers bells and sirens is the Human I ride, MD and TS will fully first hand understand as so many will. All too many humans fail to See when they look, they glance for a car or a truck or something else and fail to see the multiple always on lights the shine of the chrome even the reflection off helmets or plexiglass either pull in front of or drive over motorcycles. Large machines become blind spot heaven and all the great grandiose or regulated safety devices will not stop one inadvertent action.
The biggest problem I've found with safety at the mines here is its overdone. There are so many cones, flashing lights, brightly coloured baricades, flagging tape etc that the mind just becomes numb to it. I went to a jobsite down south for a few days and was very suprised at how well things were organized. If there were baricades up or flashing lights, they indicated an actual hazard, not just a random pallet someone was to lazy too put away.
The Nuke power station was like that. Kind of like the Harry Potter movie where that janitor was hanging 'Do NOT' signs to excess. Had signs in Every hall, on Every door, signs on standards, ropes by varied colors to differentiate different levels or layers, tags, labels, more signage and signs on fences or in the parking lots. As noted become numb to the excessive strategies yet the Safety or protection departments do not see that.
The sign thing in a nuke plant likely is a spin off from the US Navy. A man of war has signs on everything. But the thing with it is that every sign has a life of death meaning. All water tight doors have a sign that designates when they are supposed to be closed or open and what is behind it. Every frame on a ship is labeled by its position in the vessel. Every piece of equipment is labeled by what it is and where it is at. All the valves in the piping are labeled by position and type of system. All the piping is painted a certain color to designate what is on the inside. If the pipes are covered in lagging, the description is printed on the lagging every so many feet and in each compartment that the piping runs through. It all has a meaning and a purpose and you absorb it quickly because your life may depend on it. You run drills on it all the time to make all of this automatic. That's probably why the US Navy has never had a nuclear accident that we know of.
You mean like this warning sign:
Not too clear but in the picture below in a area not frequented but by a few are twelve signs within thirty feet, three alone for the 30# Fire Extinguisher on the cart, and four to the radioactive contaminated zone with the chair and PC just outside the spent fuel pool area where a danger do not enter and caution radioactive contaminants could be present signs every ten to fifteen feet. The Yellow Cloth Sheeting is for Foreign Materials Exclusion and also is marked such every panel, plus has Rad Area boundary rope on top rail and signs all way around!!. Radiation levels were never bad except for refuel when pulled the hot load out of the pot to store in here. Water was tested daily and was never found to be contaminated except down close to the assemblies some 28 feet down. Kinda funny, out on Fuel Bridge Crane, had rope to access said FME when Inside a FME area, and contamination sign to access top walkway to inspect hoist on bottom side of walkway hatch inside a already known contamination potential zone, then more FME and Rad Boundary signs on the upper walkway.
I like the fully illuminated pole.
It is a continual drill. It is a little like flight training I guess. The miners are trying at all costs to avoid complacency. Mining done properly and safely is extremely repetitive and the theme does not change. To someone accustomed to the environment it should be a little like watching paint dry. Large machines moving 130,000 tons in a shift, two shifts a day with out any kind of safety issue. The safety dept is looking for a perfect zero regarding any issues and strives to reach zero and rarely manage it. There are about 3000 things that can go haywire in about a second. People don't so much rise to the occasion as they do to their level of training. That is why the drum never stops beating, signs with lock boxes on them are placed at shovels that are idle, down or being repaired. The key to the shovel is that box the door is clear so you can see it. If you have to enter the shovels working radius or pass a Cat by it and you have violate the radius you have to lock out that box on that sign. So an operator can not board that shovel start it and possibly kill you. This and those 3000 other things are spoke about being written in someones blood. It seems to be an unfortunate truism. We had young people come and go. a lot of them were not up to the 7 to 7 shifts, 7 days and 7 nights a month.People trying to party and then coming to work the following day looking half dead on three hours of sleep become a hazard quickly when you load them in a 793 and send them on a haul that is going to take 35 minutes at 7mph to get to the dump and all the way there the 793 is playing its very restful woooba woooba wooba tune the drive train chimes in and the heater is on high. Pretty soon their head weighs 50 pounds and a nap would be just the ticket... "park that truck in the tie down, I have another job for you tonight" I have yet to work in that environment where there is "too much" emphasis on safety. You are striving for a safety culture not just a safety program. It needs to part of your thought process and part of any JSA. We have all of us done things that we knew at the time were sketchy, stood under a suspended load to adjust dunnage, used that frayed rigging or drove a vehicle that was so screwed up it should have been in a wrecking yard. I am just going to jump in that hole for a second and check the depth... then we will put the box in. Work safe my friends like Dave says, look twice if you need to virtually nothing we do is worth killing or maiming yourself or even worse someone else. Do not allow the myriad of warning signs, lights, and ribbons numb you to the fact that there is a hazard. We are not much different than the police in this... Job #1 is going home alive with all the parts you had when you left still attached when you get home.
Last week we were digging a job for a street lamp tie in on a job were 95 percent of the job was installed and backfilled we had to expose a duct bank with 18 conduit and I d the one to tie into the power company subbed there portion to a lineman sub As we finished exposing the conduit and we were waiting on an I'd the line man were opening the transformer at that point we heard a bang and look up to see a transformer blow up and three guys runaway from it all on fire two were burned on 30 percent of there body the senior hand was burned on 95 percent of his body the transformer blew up and sprayed all three with oil. Long story short they all ended up out of a job at a minimum for breaking major safety policies the senior hand got in a hurry because we were waiting on them and he decided to pull the fuses with out terminating the switch a half mile up the road there was still a load on the fuses when he popped them it blew the transformer and all the oil shot out flaming from the arc flash 10 minutes of decision making almost killed 3 guys shut down half a city block shut a gas station down for 3 days cost huge sums of money and made a lot of people late for work when they landed 2 helicopters in the intersection and the investigation shut the building we working on down for a week Complacency will kill you more accidents happen within 2 miles of home then anywhere else I now unfortunately have the scene and smell of that accident to be my reminder of staying aware of my work
On lineman crews any lineman that's not comfortable with a situation the crew has to stop and have what's called a tailboard meeting. Agree on the procedure then move on if not the Crew Foreman has to be brought in to settle any crew disputes before moving ahead. That's under the IBEW.
Wise words from MD. Done right, large-scale mining could be best described as repetitive and boring. That's where the complacency part comes in. I have always said that large open-pit mines can move up to a million tons a day despite their management, not because of it. They move those tons day-in, day-out, 365 days a year because everyone is EXPECTED to buy into the safety culture, not simply conform to a system. It's very difficult to explain to anyone who has never been exposed to it. The most dangerous people to be around are those who consider the system as a roadblock that gets in the way of "Getting the work done". Well I've got new for you, the system isn't going to change so you either need a brain re-calibration or find another job.
We did similar at the Power Station, where were to be MY Hands on switching or on disconnects, Loads came off first or we shut that entire event down right off. Many times reviewed the work to occur so we could walk it down Days to WEEKS advance just to make certain we did not injure nor kill anyone. MY Least comfort day I was sent to rack a 13800v circuit breaker down(motorized), got to the cabinet and noted was still CLOSED IN. All the work stopped until we found how the control room did not realize that issue and had not swapped to the cross tie breaker prior to THE CR sending us down there. Took two days to iron that situation out then resumed, that was during a confusing period of time in a refueling outage. I knew of at least two co-workers that would have tried to rack that down without looking or questioning and was procedure controlled.
Not to dispute you John but the signage in a nuke plant came before the Navy even thought of it. My dad was No 1 lead sign painter at Hanford the gran-daddy of all nuclear sites. And yes they used a back ground color with all lettering on piping so the operator by look could see the type of material inside and all valving was painted to match. And about safety in those days? {he worked there from 1946 to 1968, the super hot years}. He could not tell the family what he did other than lettering Men and Women on the restroom doors. I remember him bringing home ammo boxes and placing them in the bathroom, although it was just a metal box at that time to us kids. After he died and going through his personal effects we found records that he was radiation contaminated no less than 13 times. He retired at 66 and died six months later, he was carrying a tumor the size of a football that was wrapped around his kidney and intestines. He stood 6'1" and weighed 103 lbs when he died of starvation. He lived in a diaper the last three months. He past away in 1983. And I hate Nuke plants
Truck Shop, I bet there were and probably are more like that than any one will ever know. Sorry would not even come close to how I feel about your dad!
Truck Shop, I know where you are coming from. I didn't know about the early days of nuke power. I would guess that in 1946 they were thinking more in the way of bombs and not power generation. There are still people being hurt to this day at the Hanford reservation. The human race will pay for the nuclear poison for at least another thousand years at least. I am saddened to hear of your father's story. I've taken the tour of the plant in Arco, Idaho where the first power generator was built and used and actually didn't notice the same kind of identification schemes that are seen on a nuclear ship. I'm sure you are right, just noting my ignorance.
I remember being with him in a Payless store in 1972 in Richland which is near Handford and where I was born, He ran onto a guy he knew and worked with at Hanford and talked with him a short bit. I do remember him asking about different guy's he worked with on his paint crew that worked in the process area {there were 32 total at the time}. The mans reply was {Charley their all gone, dad never said a word once we got back in the pickup. He knew.
Sorry to hear that TS, worked over twenty years in the hottest places in the plant, early days was significantly less presence of mind as to what radiation and types of radiation did to the human, they just did not know as they just understood and were exploring the explosive values. Near our first home in St. Charles County MO, was Weldon Springs Twnsp. That was a bustling place in the 19teens then WWII for explosives as TNT DNT, plastic explosive then they began the NEW Chemical Works for Malinkrodt, refined Uranium ore to Yellow Cake again having little knowledge of what intensifying these materials meant, they were just refining an ore. It is Currently the August A Busch Wildlife Area, a Park. Those uranium refining buildings stood for close to forty years vacant as radiation levels degraded by half lives, had left all the equipment and materials used sit exactly where left them as the last men an women were called to the office to be released from the operation no prior warning. That is now an encapsulated mound with ALL the plant buildings and machines buried for however long it takes to degrade. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weldon_Spring_Ordnance_Works Workers had worn clothing home, 'borrowed' tools, contaminated houses and farm buildings, made families sick then the real investigating took place to figure out the causes, similar to the cases around Zinc and Lead mining. Turned out as to radiation protection did not exist, heavy metals poisoning was known but not to an extent, the workers were allotted a rad rate as a experiment only to find too high where kept dialing it back. The first men to die from radiation exposure in the US were in Chicago working with Fermi on the first reactor, used Uranium plates and as referred in the current day made a Pile of them to initiate reactions, a couple of men were removing plates placing them onto carts and inadvertently made a arrangement that created a severe reactive pile and each received a massive dose dying horribly in a few weeks. Radiation comes in for rates from Uranics, Alpha(is in nearly every rock and soil in the world as a background radiation) even found in Bananas but not as harmful as des not penetrate clothing nor skin, Beta is a bit stronger up to and inclusive of X-rays, penetrates deeper and can if exposed repeatedly or acutely for longer periods of time damage tissues, Gamma, severe radiation, penetrates really deep, causes burns if presented long enough, shuts down certain organic activities and damages mucus membranes Eyes Throat Sinus Lungs Intestinal. Final is Neutron, the released energy from Atomic and Nuclear Fission, all reactions related to atomic weapons and reactors release that radiation, NOTHING is impenetrable and the effect as such shuts down the body's cellular ability to repair itself the tissues just die where you become a walking dead person, water is your friend as to a reasonable shield, water retained in Concrete NOT the concrete itself is the shield in the structures where as concrete cures that moisture dissipates and the shielding reduces. Had Neutron 'Windows' in the plant at power, had to duck and dive past thru wall penetrations to avoid being presented to it and wore special dosimeters just to record if HAD been exposed to it, head, hands, ankles and waist devices were worn and I had worn them. My dosage rates were less than one receives from a Dentist visit or a series of chest or back x-rays over a years time, that is how well the industry has evolved. I hear the news of 'Radiation' released from Fukushima traveling to the US, radiation is a effect, emission or energy not a material, radioactive materials are carried by water borne materials as dirt and dissolved solids not radiation as a generality. Those materials are filterable and removable as well just base water is the best shield for protection of them, the distance traveled from Fukushima to the US is such that a detectable emission can be noted but is barely above background levels in our own front yards, much of it has to be filtered out of the water to even detect it. All too much reporting today is remnant scare/fear of radiation from the early days. Radiation Protection has come a LONG way since those days. I was 'Allowed' 2500 millirem(MR) radiation dose per year by the Company 5000MR by Fed, in a emergency that COULD be raised to 10,000 MR for acute dose rate but that was a Federal MAXIMUM. I received 1 Rem(1000MR) during Refuel 9 in four days, was booted out of the Containment building until area rates decreased and I only received 28mr for the last month of the refuel. Plans got better, operations flushed hot spots more often and during at power operation and just at refueling, we got those levels down to where received I less than 100mr for an entire refuel 40-90 days working in most of the hotter rad zones in the last refuels I worked. REM is Roentgen Equivalent Man, or what is considered known as Radiation damage levels to organics as flesh. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/f...erview_of_Occupational_Radiation_Exposure.pdf Ignorance is not a excuse but it was the cause so many got sick and died, sad but the lack of experienced science based knowledge does lead men down a primrose path at times. Received training on this annually so the base knowledge will be there until my mind fails or I die, will always be a consideration as to what long term affects it has made on my body.
This was in the pitch black when I was heading for work this morning. Unfortunately the flash went off and reflected off the pickup closest to me, but you get the idea.
I agree much has changed since the 40's, 50's and 60's, but the spent fuel and hazardous waste becomes the forever problem and nobody wants it buried in their state. I remember my dad telling me about the many leaks that happened in those years and the hush-hush to keep it quite. In 1959 Hanford had a major leak of mid level radiation that floated over Spokane, N. Idaho, Montana and so on. Richland, Pasco, and Kenewick had the highest levels of leukemia of anywhere in the U.S. except for Japan. With all the civilian deaths from people who worked there plus Their families More than likely being exposed every time a ammo box was brought home-into the home for urine samples--There should Be A White Cross Five Hundred Feet High Erected At Hanford. With all that's wasted by this government and the fact they want no responsibility for their actions-I think that's the least that could be done.
We had twenty five years of fuel assemblies in our spent fuel pool, was closing in on capacity so opted to dry storage. Those containers are designed to transport the old stuff off to a storage site or to a Reconstitution site which during the plants that are built days was already built at Savannah River in N Carolina, Jimmy Carter got that shut down as did not want nuclear at all. If ever anyone determines the need reconstitution will recover 40% of the fuel assemblies as reusable fuel, the metals can be retired to a deep grave as they have no migratable materials just nickel alloy metals, the Inert pellets can be reused an unlimited amount of time as are a ceramic composite much as tooth crowns are made of. Only 7% of a fuel assembly is actually a fuel derivative. The old reactors at Hanford were Breeders, they actually produced More than they used in the fission process converting Uranium to plutonium, a evil type of reactor no longer used. Good friend of mine also now retired and so far still healthy at 74 had an Uptake, had to take plastic bags and a stack of paper plates home to poop on for a week and pee in sample bottles until the RadChem department determined he had passed the materials. Was a Fuel Flea, nearly microscopic particle of a fuel pellet that got loose from an assembly that had fretting damage. He did pass it and none the worse so far. Nearly all of our low rate radioactive metal cut out materials go to a metal melt facility to be produced into containers to haul radiologic materials, most radioactive labeled barrels are produced at that site as the metal is already hot may as well use it for storage of other materials. What I can relate to is Nuclear is far and wide more prevalent than most people know. CT and PET Scanners, measuring devices in the mines for quantity of raw ores in silos and distributing drop heads off the silos, nuclear medicine is prolific where many cancers are treated with the very radioactive materials found in the reactors. So many devices and machines rely on nuclear forces to function even as smoke detectors. Worst radiation dose received in my previous employer was at a coal fired plant, had two welders crawl into a silo to make some needed repairs, failed to cover shield the Source device to the flow measurement system, got a burst of some serious Beta Emission radiation where they had to report to a doctor for a month to test for internal damage. We had not any occurrence as severe as that at the Nuke.
I agree with what you printed above Dave to a point. The average American only understands with nuclear power their toaster provided them with a hot Pop Tart this morning. And I also understand the need for optional power. There are pluses and minuses in everything. A fellow here in town I know was attached to Curtis Le May's detail at the end of WWII and to 47. Curtis was asked by staff if he was still going to visit the facilities that made the bomb. Quoting the man I talked to {Curtis-You saw what it did why would I want to go there}.
The Bombs were a Vile use of the energy but were a necessity by what I was educated on. Can only say the proliferation and spies that got that proliferation afoot was a bad deal, should have ended that weaponization a long time ago.
So sorry about your dad. He deserved better.
The question that makes me shudder is how much of what we are doing now is going to be found out to be hazardous, crazy and unhealthy in 10, 20 or 30 years? Like maybe this vaccine?
Life is unhealthy sitting at a desk will kill you just the same as working construction
There's no mysteries in the original post " shake hands with danger ".
Does this dress make me look fat. Shake hands with danger
Nearly as bad was all the chemical materials used by the military those and the early days of mechanic where garage floors were washed down with raw gasoline to floor drains to lift the oil and grease. My Dad and Uncle reflected on 'Unpickling' stored C47s using DRUMS of raw 110 octane leaded gas to flush the engines and fuel tanks, to the ground, they also washed up with the gas prior to soap and water to cut the odor. Both smoked as bad or worse than I used to. Every industry has bad aspects, I spent 21 years inside a nuke, got to learn how to protect my own self in radiation fields and around 'Hot Spots', have no after effects as the industry learned what it could never have known in the early days.
Reminds me of that movie, Repo Man!!
With the green glowing malibu! That was awesome.
Did have a fella was near a vent line for refilling a vessel in containment, he failed to stay away from it or to use his respirator, got to take a bundle of paper plates and ziplock bags home to poop in for a few days, set off detectors exiting the radiologic area and he had been a Navy ET in nukes, KNEW Better. His dose level was considered as close to have had five to six whole body x-rays over an hour time. Our machinery to detect was sensitive enough, those that had upper or lower GI inspections with Barium would set the site exit alarms off as they approached the building. Nuclear Medicine is far dirtier these days than allowed in a Nuke Power Station.
Has anyone seen the safety films Cat made in the 50s and 60s?All cable dozers and scrapers plus mechanical graders. They were made to scare the Bee Jesus out of ya
Have seen the aftermath of said accidents, is less pretty than the manufacturers horror shows.
I was in a CESCL class with a bunch of apprentices tonight, and this young lady had a sweatshirt on that her boyfriend gave her. Pretty Awesome IMO
Watching this for probably the 10th time is still interesting. As I did I sat and wondered what some individuals would give to have that equipment today. That was back when Caterpillar was rock solid machines. A Cat was a Caterpillar. When I was at a Dealer in the late 70's the only plastic I can remember was knobs on levers. No electronics. Times sure have changed my friends.
I find it interesting that posters are previously saying the film "Shake Hands with Danger" is a 1980 production or later. The original "Shake Hands with Danger" film was made in 1970, and I can remember watching this film in early 1970 during my Engineer operator course with the Royal Australian Engineers at the School of Military Engineering, Casula, NSW. Of course, we all guffawed at the "hammy" acting and "setups" in the film - but I guess it did drive home the safety angle involved in equipment operation. Shake Hands With Danger Short safety film about dangers associated with earthmoving equipment operation, showing many simulated accidents on construction sites. www.tcm.com The early 1970's were the period when safety measures really started to take off. ROPS appeared on equipment, noise levels were reduced, and more and more safety features such as automatic lockouts started to appear. But the trend to reflective tape and flashing lights on everything was still well into the future. In some places here in Oz, the safety culture has gone to extremes. Fair enough when real danger is present, as on mining and construction sites, but some of the OSH people need to take a reality check. A friend runs a 5 tonne truck delivering mattresses and foam products, and he usually backs into a warehouse, wrestles a mattress or load of foam onto his back, runs it out the back of the truck, and is gone in 3-4 minutes. But he visits a mining company office in the city, and the OSH idiots make him park in a clear area in the centre of the parking lot - he's not allowed to take anything out of the truck without 2 helpers from the store - and before he's even allowed in the back of the truck, they install a moveable high-vis barrier around the truck, and produce a set of steps for him to climb up into the truck!! All this for a truck tray that's waist-height!! Clowns!! He was livid, and it took him 40 minutes to unload 2 mattresses!! Then I look back on the first major open-pit I saw in operation locally in 1975 and I marvel at how they roared into this operation with great success - not a single major injury or fatality - and not a hard hat, not a single flashing light, not a piece of high-vis tape or clothing, nor any ROPS in sight!! This operation would be shut down in 10 seconds, with todays OSH!!
A bit of a parallel here Oz Dozer. The first 1 I saw was at SME Linton NZ
Shake Hands With Danger - Hoodie - Workman Trading Co. The Shake Hands With Danger hoodie is a premium blend of cotton and polyester. Designed to pay homage to those who pursue risk in the name of their trade. workmanusa.com
111
When working at Waste Management we were bombarded with safety due to the nature of the beasts. Every garbage truck is just a giant hydraulic wrecking machine that doesn't differentiate between trash or a human appendage. Some of the "training" films they showed were meant to scare the daylights out of you, actual bodies with arms and legs sticking out of bloody truck bodies or compactor units where someone had bypassed some sort of safety protocol. Pretty gruesome stuff. Still people were fired regularly for being inside truck bodies without being locked out. Had a Jamaican kid on the back of a truck once damn near squished himself trying to grab a $5 bill out of the hopper while the packer blade was coming down. "Hey no problem mon". Last day he rode with me.
I watched Shake Hands With Danger last night. It did a good job at getting the point across, especially the goof greasing the loader pin hole by hand! Someone mentioned the song getting stuck in your head, sure does!
The thing is that even 50+ years after it was originally released the message it contains is just as relevant today as it was then.
Some of that movie was shot at our dealership. So i knew a lot of the goofs. Funny thing the hand they used in the pin bore they threw in garbage hopper and left. In about a hour the were back crawling around in hopper looking for it apparently it was a high priced hand
Too cool pcm!
From my experience, the most dangerous item common in almost every shop, is a press.
Well now you say that the great bench grinder for finger or hand removal that welder joe warned me about was a main actress!
yep he was one
The elasticity of solid steel is amazing to behold, when you get it in the right bind and it releases in a direction you had not anticipated.
Absolutely. A story from my days working automotive machine. * The owner of the shop had a tendency to let other business owners use a few items in shop. One was the press. I was busy on the Peterson 25 installing valve guides in a pair of sbf heads. And this character that borrowed use of the press now and then came in to use the press to install a bearing on a 9" ford axle. See the shop also was a parts house so if parts were bought there the owner would allow use of some stuff. I wasn't paying attention to him, I had work to do, the next thing I know or hear is a loud snap then a whizzing sound go by my head. A ball bearing sailed past my head through the first sheet of 1/2" plywood dividing wall, sailed another 30 feet through another full wall, through the book keepers office and embedded in the next wall visible to naked eye. * The next reaction was just as explosive as the first. The book keeper came out of her office screaming, {What The Fack, Look At My Office! You Dumb Sons of B----hes}. Needless to say by the time she got done reaming, the owner had no *** in his pants for at least two weeks. * All because a scatter shield which was right there at the press in plain sight wasn't used. Which stopped the customer use of shop stuff.
My old grandad had a saying that I still try to beat into every fitter/mechanic/technician within earshot. "Before engaging spanners, engage brain..!"
@Truck Shop that's incredible. It could have been a little bloody bit and gone just about as far.
After the book keeper incident there were allot of changes around there. She was so mad she could walk by a cold cup of coffee and start it to boil.
I bet you could re-incinerate the area with the simple mention of for years.
Everybody has met a "Duane" along the way. That guy that simply has no common sense when it comes to power tools and things. Duane managed to get 86ed from wood shop, auto shop, and the metals shop in his Sophomore year. Perhaps after the table saw incident his reputation preceded him, but no, he F--ed up quite well in each venue. He earned it. In metals he had been trained on how to safely start up a torch to do gas welding, but he managed to burn somebody at the table next to him, when he had about half gas on and licked the flame across the back of somebody's hand.
Narrated by Charles Oldfather in 1980.
Sounds like the Doug that was in my wood shop class, pushing a piece of oak through a 14" table saw. It kicked back nailing him right in the crotch. The shop teacher ripped his pants down right in front of everyone--revealing a purple banana and very red square area.
That song has been an ear worm ever since Nige started this thread.
Ear plugs working in machine shops, depending on what was going on which equipment was being used--I wouldn't wear those. Besides looking at what's taking place, being able to hear a machine changing pitch is crucial. * Darrel the shop owner was setting up a little 4 cylinder Continental flat head cylinder head in the Van Norman 562 surfacing machine. Those machines with the way it grabs the item, is basically like a vise with 3 cone spear points on each end and vise contact on sides. Flat heads are thin and was hard to get a good sinch. Anyway I was working over a set of IH 392 heads on the bench and Darrel was setting up this head after about twenty minutes I hear the surfacer winding up, he went over to the rod hone machine. I was working along when a sudden change in grinding pitch from the surfacer started, I turned looked at Darrel then went right to the floor. I just made it when the explosion occurred. The head had shifted, the 14" grind wheel spinning I don't remember how many rpm cut into the head with such force it shot it out of the surfacer and landed on top of shop restroom roof. The grind wheel exploded into several large pieces flying around the shop. I look over and see Darrel hiding behind a bench, wide eyed. We were fortunate that we had two more heads in the storage room and another surface wheel. There are definitely times to wear ear protection---and sometimes not. Crap happens being able to hear it coming is important. * Van Norman 562 below. *
Aaahh the old grinding wheel explosion trick in a tub grinder. Learned that in my 20’s with a rotary grinder for sharpening granulater and chipper blades. Some retard didn’t bolt down the set of 5 blades and got it all spooled up and was across the shop on a lathe working and heard the 18” grinding wheel take a bite and shrapnel was everywhere. Got caught in my thigh and right arm. Still have the scars.
SHWD came up on YouTube the other night. Of course I had to watch it again.
I think I'd have a real hard time putting a new one in and firing it up again, at least that same day. I'm going home for a drink.
We had a dumbass trying to use a portable press setup (hydraulic cylinder, large portapower, threaded rods) and the big H bar to remove a pulley from a large clutch assembly for a large portable grinder I saw the setup and told the guy I was training that we were going to take a little walk and leave the area completely. We hear a sound like a gunshot He hit relief on the portapower and snapped the big threaded rods like they were nothing. H bar went flying by about three inches in front of one of the other mechanic’s face. And this was a 40-50lb bar Then he repeated it an hour later this time sending the bar straight up and hit the roof. For that attempt everybody in the shop was hiding behind cover.
Can still remember the Moron with the Wheel Bearing and a Blow Gun, "Aint That Cool" was his one and only comment as the bearing seized being Dry, ate the skin off three fingers was holding it with then proceeded to blow apart. Had to have grafts that came off his Thigh.
Just read through this thread again. Ear plugs can be a hindrance to safety for sure. When you have a 10 ton plus head tacked on a 10' dia. 2 1/2" thick pressure vessel and you start hearing ting ting ting, get the hell out of the way. The tacks are cracking and that head is coming down. Thankfully only a wire feeder got sacrificed but I'm not sure I would have heard the tacks breaking if I had ear plugs in. I should have used ear plugs more often but glad I didn't have them when that happened. It put a big dent in the concrete floor and it was only a couple feet off the floor. In another shop some guys didn't put heavy enough overhead tacks on the checker plate of a skid. When the skid (about 10' wide and 30' long was stood up while flipping over for flat position welding the same thing happened. The tacks starting going ting ting ting and the checker plate peeled right off from the top down and made a huge cloud of dust as it came falling down. Thankfully nobody stands close when flipping the skids. One of welders was giving the guy that tacked the checker plate $**** for tacking it with 6010 and not 7018. There was a similar occurrence on a smaller scale where a welder was almost hit because an I beam pipe support was tacked with 6010 and it let go. He could have easily been hurt. He told the idiot that tacked it to throw the 6010 in the garbage. 6010 is usually used for tacking because it's easy to strike an arc but not good for larger pieces that have to be picked up or turned over.
Ok I Have a good one. Be forewarned it's a bit graphic. Have you ever seen framing carpenters block the guard open on a circular saw with a wedge? When making a compound cut like a jack rafter the guard can bind up and be hazardous. About 35+ years ago in a previous life before going to med school a local framer who I'll call Bruce had a serious incident. But first let me give you a little background on our subject. Bruce was the kind of guy that put a full can of Skoal in his mouth first thing in the morning. The only time he would spit was when he talked, spitting on you. He swallowed the rest of the juice all day. This is also the same guy that painted his ragged out pick-up with a cheap brush with Wal-Mart latex paint. Got the picture. Well one afternoon after coming back from lunch at the Dairy Queen the crew was hard at work. Bruce wore bib coveralls with multiple pockets and loops. Every pocket was full and each loop had a different hammer. Well Bruce kept the guard blocked and was cutting a piece of timber laying it across his left thigh while standing. As the cut was almost through his helper was picking up on the drop which bound up the blade causing the saw to kick back cutting the head of his penis off. Bruce fell on the ground squirting blood, while his helper took his shirt off to trying to stop the bleeding. Four guys picked Bruce up and threw him into the bed of a pick-up truck. Someone found his glans on the ground, poured out his 32 oz. Dairy Queen tea and put the dismemberment on ice and rushed ole Bruce to the hospital. There was a vascular surgeon in the ER that took Bruce and his part to surgery and performed a replantation. The procedure was a success however scar tissue developed and the head of his penis stayed the size of a pool ball (billiard). Absolutely a true story. Also, about a year later his wife took off. She probably already has a foot in the door.
That's a rather meaty way to get a circumcision.
Heard a similar story that is very likely true. For welding apprenticeship training you had to pass oxy/acetylene welding of 2" pipe on a 45 deg. angle (6G position). Not many unless they were experienced with O/A or Tig welding could feed the rod with just their fingers. They'd have to rest the rod on something to slide their hand up. The stool they sat on was the easiest way to do it. Well one guy, while concentrating more on the weld, went to move his hand up but instead of putting the rod on the stool accidently put the rod in his crotch and pierced a testicle with the hot rod. Ouch! I melted the soft platic goggles the school had from being a little too close. I much prefer the stiff plastic goggles but didn't have them at the time. I got a pretty good sunburn on my face too but that pales in comparison.
A hot rod in the testicle that sounds like a lot of fun...possibly self cauterized it self if hot enough...
Could be but I wouldn't volunteer to be a guinea pig to find out.
1977 fell from the COE roof and damaged myself, in that event I lost contact feeling in outside of Right leg with outer three toes right foot and loss of sensitivity in some other places, so the big value of the day back then was Uniform Services, Polyester cloth that cleaned well and service life was long. Needless to say was also decent with a gas axe, old man that taught me use of one would/could braze with a cutting tip, routinely doing so. Shorten story, would be slicing and dicing with the axe where would need look with just eyes not cutting lenses and would lose track of where my hand had that axe. Needless to say would notice the burnt hair smell or feel the trouser leg tug when went to move as the polyester was burnt to my leg. Have a few scars there but are fading. When Back Doc here cleaned up my Stenosis, he also released pent up pain from damage had done long ago to that leg and foot, Uncle Arthir stepped up to say hello as well.
My dad knew a golf course mechanic that went blind mostly because of using a torch for welding and cutting without goggles. I know people that don't use goggles for cutting and they won't listen. I don't know how they can see the soapstone lines. I sure can't.
Someone was watching over him. This guy won the lottery, literally!!!! Got to watch it! Couldn’t imagine what would have happened if he was 5 seconds late!
Zoiks! Between stuff like that and tires out of control it's amazing any of us are alive.
Car dashcam captures near-collision with US Air Force plane, video is from MSN Click the link below MSN
Plus the oceans are full of shark-a-zoids!
Parachute Horror Heart-stopping moment skydiver's parachute snags on tail of airplane A skydiver has fought for his life mid-air after his reserve chute accidentally deployed and became tangled around the tail of the plane during a routine jump. www.dailymail.co.uk
Very lucky. The full report has a slightly better view of the chute handle fouling on the flap of the wing.
I saw that yesterday and it's nuts.
I do not Jump from perfectly good aircraft but if should ever consider, that woulda freaked my S__T Out!!
?
Perzactly TS. Used to own half of a 182 jump ship. Flown em, worked on em, jumped out of em. There is no such thing as a "perfectly good airplane".
My late father (ex-RAF) always opined "only fools and birds fly, and even birds are smart enough to know not to fly at night".
I'll take any fixed wing over " a collection of parts flying in loose formation" AKA helicopter.
Ride on a Whirley Bird at Ft Knox being delivered to a Simulated LZ on Bivouac we experienced VN Era style Flying of a Loose Collection of Pieces Huey. SUCKED. About Half of my Platoon was barfing the entire flight. Pilots laughing their asses off.
Fixed safer than Rotary wing, but love the Rotary. Flew few times in the USCG and looked forward to the next time. Always wanted to fly one of them but was not to be
I've had a few close calls but the closest I think was in a helicopter.
I was just a passenger but have spent a lot of time in helicopters/heli-camps...some close calls over the years. Bad down drafts in glaciated country near Stewart/Hyder, combined with sudden dense fog banks. Flying out at low speed 50-100' above ground. Drums of fuel were always cached at strategic locations as it was sometimes necessary to set down and wait out sudden bad weather... Chopping buckbrush with tail rotor of Hughes 500d on BC's Sunshine Coast! Had a prospector new to helicopters: safety talk etc, warned of danger to rear of machine; tail rotor/exhaust. Minutes later look over and he had walked between the high rear exhaust and the tail rotor....luckily got just a singed beard and a good scare! One job at Egmont the chip light came on for tail rotor gearbox (?) on our 500d, further inspection showed significant metal shrapnel! Long-lining for drill moves was particularly difficult on this project as the tall timber required a 200' line. We had a really good pilot! Also some very sketchy toe-in's over the years, in one case saw main rotor disc on Bell 206 wobble very close to rocky talus slope (newish pilot...) Loved the flights...but knew that eventually something may happen...Last time in a helicopter was around 2009 in the Toodoggone.
I saw the parachute on the wing on the news. It's a good thing the guy had a knife to cut himself loose. Then his main parachute got tangled up and he got it untangled just in time to land safely. He should have went and bought a lottery ticket after that.
A seriously "oh crap" moment : Australian Railways The loco crew were enjoying the drive out of Melbourne on a nice hot day when confronted by a buckled rail. It was a rough ride for a few moments
4.4K views · 47 reactions | Construction Mistakes Caught on Camera #contruction #fails #fypreels | Bill Stuck Construction Mistakes Caught on Camera #contruction #fails #fypreels www.facebook.com
A Compromise Position to put yourself in!
Not the Greatest moment in Engineering History
Video of a Toddler falling out of an SUV!!! https://edition.cnn.com/2026/01/28/us/video/toddler-falls-out-of-moving-car-california-digvid
In the immortal words of Ron White, You Cant Fix Stupid
You just never know what you might run into when you’re driving!
Semi Truck driving wrong way on Hwy for miles! Semi truck driving wrong way for miles | Haystack News Haystack News delivers the stories that matter to you. Haystack News is the best way to watch a variety of coverage, all in one place, and absolutely free. www.haystack.tv
Nothing shocking about that, it's happened before--3 years ago on 395. Unfortunately it won't be the last time, just good no one got injured or died.
Somalian from MN in that semi on old US61 in Pike County MO. Once got him pulled over, unable to relate English language and no English maybe NO reading skills. No telling how many of these are out there. Driven that length of road many times, nearly no way to get on wrong side.
Nige got the Cat where the bloke put his arm through the pin hole on the loader frame,lost my copy from Wigmores from 1980
YouTube find The gambler,Shake hands with danger & dozen more old Cat safety videos & many more.
Funnily enough,I’ve been watching these videos with my eldest son over the easter weekend.He’s picked up a few minor accidents in the last year and a broken finger off a Cat 374 panel got me thinking it was time for a refresher. I watched it myself in the late 1980’s when I first started out. Good series of videos.
@ nicky, the first I saw were to do winches and CCUs in black and white, and a couple adjusting clutches on mechanical grader blades with the engine running. I've never been able to find them since, probably in the obsolete bin buried under old ropes.
Todays wound......
Luckily it wasn't the social finger but it'll be a couple of days before you pick your nose.
You went to the Dr’s for a smashed finger? Must be more to the story as my booger hookers are all messed up.
Yessir, That nail is Comin OFF!!!
Nail is pulled off most of the want and most of the bottom has the skin removed. Its not good it more less got sheared in a wood chipper style luckly it still seems to work as it should
Nail is pulled off most of the want and most of the bottom has the skin removed. Its not good it more less got sheared in a wood chipper style luckly it still seems to work as it got between the rib on the hub and the knunkle more like rolled. They have the nail stitched down claim it will help preserve the nail bed for the new one till it of course falls off
You do realize you are going to bang that pretty regularly
I know I know Im in for it
Used to have finger guards at work they were plastic you taped over your finger they made it tuff to work but your finger didn’t get bumped as much.
I squished my finger in a dump truck tailgate. Looked serious at first. Lost the nail but didn't realize would grow a new one. Stitched finger up and one side is a little crooked. Had broken bone fragments that hurt for awhile but works pretty much good as before now.
Lightning strikes water fountain as children play near by! MOMENT: Lightning strikes fountain as children play nearby | Watch News Videos Online Watch MOMENT: Lightning strikes fountain as children play nearby Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca globalnews.ca
Back a few posts to this one Never thought about this until now, how do they bend the rails for curves? Joe H
Oh boy! Yikes!
Three days and no one knows? I thought I'd have at least a dozen answers how to bend the rails. That's impossible here on HEF. Joe H
Your answer from the Internet’s Search Assistance Train rails are bent using special portable rolling machines or hydraulic rail bending devices that apply pressure to shape the rails into the desired curve. This process is essential for laying curved track and ensuring proper alignment and safety. Trains trackopedia.com Methods for Bending Train Rails Train rails are bent using specialized equipment designed to ensure precision and safety during the installation of curved tracks. The primary methods include: Portable Rolling Machines Function: These machines are used to gradually bend the rail into the desired curvature. Application: Ideal for general railroad applications where curves are gentle. Hydraulic Rail Bending Devices Function: These devices apply hydraulic pressure to bend the rails accurately. Usage: Commonly used for joints that require adjustments due to wear or deformation. Process of Bending Rails The bending process involves several steps to ensure the rails meet safety and alignment standards: Preparation: Rails are positioned on ties or sleepers according to the required curve. Bending: Portable Machines: Rails are rolled into shape. Hydraulic Devices: Pressure is applied to achieve the desired curvature. Installation: Once bent, the rails are secured to the ties using fastening systems. Importance of Rail Bending Bending train rails is crucial for: Safety: Properly curved rails reduce the risk of derailments. Alignment: Ensures trains can travel smoothly along the track. Efficiency: Facilitates the construction and maintenance of rail systems. This process is essential for creating safe and efficient rail networks, allowing trains to navigate curves without compromising stability.
367K views · 20K reactions | The Worst Oil And Gas Disaster In History #gasprices #explained #educational #OilPrices #Disaster #Tragedy | Mr Global The Worst Oil And Gas Disaster In History #gasprices #explained #educational #OilPrices #Disaster #Tragedy www.facebook.com
Grandfather charged at, thrown flying into air by angered bison at Yellowstone | Watch News Videos Online Watch Grandfather charged at, thrown flying into air by angered bison at Yellowstone Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca globalnews.ca
Garbage truck explodes, injuring worker in Milwaukee A sanitation worker was injured after an oxygen tank exploded in a garbage truck in Milwaukee. www.ctvnews.ca
I don't know if this was posted before, a follow on maybe
The cb jargin and the lost track loader. Yikes.....
Ken the Driver was flying lighter every minute. . I thought I’ve seen all the classic Caterpillar films, but not this one. What a blast from the past.