Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shift cable

Multiracer ยท 2015-01-30 08:26

D-6H 3ZF00730 Diff steer. The shifter just went limp yesterday, it is still in low gear so I can get it up to the shop. My question is do I have to dump the trans oil to get the rear plate off the back of the trans or is that compartment dry ? Any other tips or concerns I need to know about before I start ripping stuff apart ?

Replies5
  1. #1Multiracer2015-01-30 14:23

    Skip the first question, I have that figured out. What I am having trouble with now are locating the part numbers of the two cables. One is shift for gears and the other is for the twist grip foreword/ reverse. I also want to replace the clevis and pins on both. My local CAT parts is not having much luck either. What is the description Cat uses for cables ?

  2. #2Multiracer2015-01-30 14:59

    Skip it again, I found one in the transmission area and one in the diff steering area ?. Thanks anyway.:drinkup

  3. #3Dickjr.2015-01-30 16:31

    Just curious , did it have the 1,2,3 shifter separate from the tiller or was it on the end of the tiller?

  4. #4Multiracer2015-01-30 18:45

    My shifter is a 1,2,3/N separate from the tiller. The tiller has the twist grip that controls F/R. I understand how they hook up in the rear of the trans but I have not taken the panels off of the shifter area yet. I ordered both cables, three clevis ends, four pins and a new gasket for the rear cover. The shift cable has been binding for a while so I figured I would replace and adjust both while I am there.

  5. #5Multiracer2015-02-15 17:01

    Well, I finally got it all back together. I am a one man show so it took a couple of weekends to complete. I must admit, this was quite the pain in the backside. All of the related mechanisms in the left side wall next to the drivers seat is some pretty good Cat engineering. I can not for the life of me understand why the spherical rod end seized up but it did and that is what finally broke the cable end off. It is all enclosed in a sealed box, safe from almost all elements, even a complete submerging of this machine would not affect that cable end. Oh well, about 16 hours and few hundred more Cat dollars and I can now shift it with two fingers and can sense every detente. I explored the foreword reverse shift cable while I was in the area and it appears to be a b*****d as well to work on. I disconnected it at the transmission end while servicing the other and all operated just fine, so I decided against replacing it this time around. Ron P.S. Yesterday I could not spell bulldozer mechanic ... today I are one !