I was ask to look at a L9000 ford 10 speed i think . When you put it in second it go's in fine but the shifter can go alot farther than it needs to and it can get stuck. If you hold on to the shifter it is fine.
Shift tower is worn out, There is a low, med and high models of shift towers.
I totally mis-read this. I thought you said the shitter hit the dog house. Which actually happened to me, when the big wind storm smacked the MatSu Valley, last January.
In my world its usually a fan and not a dog house.
They are using it for harvest and this is one of the worst ones i have seen the tower is almost under the rear cab mount . If they can make it through harvest i will tear into it then. If its something deeper i dont know if the top of the trans could be removed by taking the cabmount and cross member out or not.
Tower can be changed, only four bolts. But to remove the shift bar housing transmission will have to be removed. Any truck with engine/trans shoved back into cab it makes for awkward shifting position plus if the driver uses it as a resting place for hand the weight will ware the tower stub. Have had to change several towers years back on International 2200 series trucks.
It's a harvest truck, will be fixed with a Bungie cord
Unfortunately that's likely.
They do custom harvesting total different from a farmer. I hope it can weight till there done i dont want to start doing repair work on my own and i dont want to have to rush around finding parts but i told them i would look at it. This area could use half a dozen more shops i would rather filp burgers than have my own shop agin but if there was a shop i could work at that had a room were customers werent aloud and some one found parts for me just a dream.
I got a call that they were at the elevator and it was stuck in gear . It all most cant be done with out removing the rear cab crossmember. We put another used tower on to try to get by. That didnt do any good.
After removing the old shift tower did you use a small/short pry bar and manually move the shift blocks to neutral position first before installing the other tower. If the shift blocks wouldn't move then there is another issue or the shift blocks themselves are worn out where the shift lever sets in the blocks.
If you hold the shifter and dont let it go to far there isnt a problem. He drove it back home . The 2/3 block is a little worn. How do you get the trans out of one of these trucks ? Do you have to remove the crossmember or let the back of the engine down ? I have been practising saying no.
I would guess-the fact it's Ford, the rear motor mounts are on the transmission bell not the engine/flywheel bell. Kind of a pain in the butt. Keep practicing saying no. lol.
Could you weld some kind of mechanical stop to keep the shifter from going to far?
I have thought about that even some thing across the shifter hole in the floor. I hope i am done with it.