Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best valve extensions for filling wheels

Welder Dave ยท 2022-10-26 01:23

Should have said dual wheels. My dump truck is a real pain to check and fill the rear duals. One of the inner rims the valve stem is right against the rim and I can't do anything with it. I need to get something in there to bend it up slightly. I'd like to make all of the rear tires easier to fill where I can use a clip on air chuck. What would be good valve stem extensions to use?

Replies13
  1. #11693TA2022-10-26 09:32

    These actually work quite well. I've installed several on inside duals. Remember to remove the original valve cores and use the included sealing rings on the new extensions: https://www.amazon.com/Extenders-St...hIjoiNS40OCIsInFzcCI6IjUuMzIifQ==&sr=8-6&th=1

  2. #2cfherrman2022-10-26 10:21

    I've used those regular metal extensions that people will say to stay away from. We were required to check tire pressure every day and I think if you did that they work just fine. If you get a good air chuck that you can just push on and let go and that could work with what you have might work better than an extension.

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-10-26 14:54

    Just threw away a box with over 300 extensions. Might work local/off road, but loose a chain in winter time possibility of breaking the stem. Have enough trouble with auto inflation systems on trailers/ lose drag chain there goes the inflation hose.

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-10-26 15:18

    Won't be putting chains on the truck. I have the 2 way inflator chuck but it's a pain holding it on the valve stem. It's hard to keep pushing it to get air in the tire without leaking. I made an air hose to use the trucks air because my compressor is very small and for some reason only puts out 90 PSI despite filling to 120 PSI. I run it off a generator because I don't have power on the property. Being able to use a clamp on chuck would be really nice. At least a couple tires will leak a bit when they sit for a while, especially over winter. Has anybody ever used the 180 deg. or flexible hose extensions?

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-10-26 18:05

    You could use either one of these, but pricey. About $25 each.

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-10-26 18:17

    I think I'll try some straight extensions for the inside wheels just so they aren't right over the hump on the wheel. I think a straight inflator would help too. I have a dual head air chuck but it isn't straight on the outside side. My truck tire gauge is the same way and tricky to get it on the valve stem so it doesn't leak. I just want to make it easier to check and add air.

  7. #7cfherrman2022-10-26 22:29

    Yeah the straight head air chuck is way better, I hate the angled. I just push it on till it stays and stand up.

  8. #8suladas2022-10-26 22:47

    I got a straight chuck and gauge for truck inside duals, it's not bad to fill them then. What is tough is doing the inners on 17.5" rims, there is just no dahm room for my fat hands.

  9. #9Welder Dave2022-10-27 01:04

    There's something to invent... small finger extentions to fit in tight spaces with a strong enough grip to remove valve caps. I read you can get valve stem caps you don't have to remove to put air in. I've seen the plastic ones but not steel ones. That would make things easier.

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-10-27 07:35

    Called gators.

  11. #11cfherrman2022-10-27 07:56

    Those steel ones is what they used I was talking about above. I always heard they were bad like mud would make a tire leak but the whole company was required to check air every day and it was fine while I was there. We also drove pretty much off road all the time.

  12. #12Welder Dave2022-10-28 21:57

    I got a Milton straight dual head inflator and it worked great. You tilt it a bit and it hooks on the threads of the valve stem so you don't have to hold it. The tire with the sidewall cut still had 60 PSI in it after sitting several days. I drilled the main hole so I could get a plug in and realized the the hole was longer so put 2 plugs in. Then I put 2 patches on the outside. I didn't want branches or a rock catching on where the plugs were. There is a bulge but everything is holding 90 PSI. Hopefully the patches hold. A wire wheel in an angle grinder works fantastic for shaving the tire down and roughening the surface. Had the plugs and any ridges on the tire nice and smooth for the patches. Thought about gluing a piece of sidewall from another tire over it but will see if the 2 patches hold. I've seen tractor tubes sticking through sidewall cracks last a long time. Hope it holds as the Bandag retreads are better than I thought treadwise. I'd guess at least 80% tread left on it. The front tires are new Bridgestone 315 80R22.5 with kind of an aggressive tread.

  13. #13Welder Dave2022-10-29 22:50

    The patch is holding! I was hauling wet clay and probably overloaded on a few loads but other than the bulge it appears to be holding just fine. Now I just have fix another leak on the Cat but I think I found it.