All the other tractors I've had were standard non synchronized stick shift. This case 580sk is my first shuttle shift transmission. My question is are you supposed start in 1st or 2nd and then shift up? If so my question is on the shifting procedure. I've noticed if I put the shuttle in forward or reverse before I select a gear it grinds. Is the proper procedure to lift on the throttle, leave the selector in forward or reverse, push the torque converter disconnect on the shifter then select the next gear?
You can shift with the F and R in gear only if use the clutch cut out on the loader handle or shifter leaver. If while shifting you can also move the F/R lever to N then shift your main trans, and place it back in F/R and go on. Most only start in 2nd or 3rd when going to travel, and starting from first unless your moving from a hard push is hardly ever done since most work in 2nd more unless you really need 1st gear.
Thanks ill have to try that next time I'm driving it. I normally push dirt and fill the bucket in first I thought in second it was too much strain on the trans, seems that throttle needs to be applied heavier when using 2nd gear. I just want to take the best care of my backhoe as possible.
In lie 580 sl we always take off in a min of 3rd when going for a drive that'll required 4the together. Shifting can be done at anytime. I usually throttle down when shifting but it's not a requirement to compleat a shift. Just a suggestion.
Seems to shift fine when using the clutch button. Thanks everyone.