Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shimming main boom hydraulic cylinder

Liberty ยท 2021-04-23 20:35

Hello, I just had to rebuild my my main boom hydraulic cylinder. I damaged the shims I removed. They were a 1mm and .5mm shims. I only had a 2mm shim to replace so I installed it on one side of the pin. I now have no shim on one side . The cylinder is nice and snug. The other end I reinstalled the shims I removed. Is this going to cause any problems. In addition, why is it so difficult to locate 65mm ID shims?

Replies7
  1. #1Mobilewrench2021-04-23 20:58

    What machine are you working on? I, personally don't get very exited about cylinder pin shims. Though, long term I think that avoiding any side load on the pins is a good idea. As long as you get grease on both sides I don't think you have a problem.

  2. #2Liberty2021-04-24 07:01

    A 2006 Doosan Solar75V. About 18k lb machine. Hear is a pic of the cylinder. The bottom is where I installed the 2mm shim on one side only.

  3. #3Liberty2021-04-24 19:21

    Well I decided to not leave it alone. I made a shim out of a piece of an old cookie sheet that was .5 mm thick. It is probably softer but I am sure it will last awhile.

  4. #4Mobilewrench2021-04-24 22:42

    I would think soft is better. Especially if you are worried about wear on the pin bosses. I don't generally have cookie sheets on the truck.

  5. #5Liberty2021-04-25 05:45

    That gave me my morning laugh .

  6. #663 caveman2021-04-25 06:30

    I recently got some shim stock in preparation to assemble a right angle drill drive, holy crap was it expensive should have just cleaned out that drawer under the oven!

  7. #7Liberty2021-04-25 07:27

    Not only does the website give great technical info but as a bonus free humor. Keep it coming.