Hello All, I have a 2001 315 CL (SN: CFT00468). When running the unit it will occasionally just shutdown. Starts right back up most of the time, but occasionally takes a few attempts to get running again. When running she is smooth and steady, no noises or any other indication of engine trouble. Only Fault I can see is a Voltage Regulator Fault. Which has been there as long as I've had the machine. Just decides to shutdown. I believe something is telling the ECM to energize the Shutdown Timer, and kill the fuel. Any ideas as to where I should start Troubleshooting?
Also, I see the abbreviation ATCH all over the schematics. What does that stand for?
ATCH = Attachment (optional extra). Usually on the schematics the wiring that is applicable to the Attachment is surrounded by a dashed-line "box". Sometimes even the individual wires for the attachment are shown dashed on the schematic. Out of interest what schematic are you working from.? Should be RENR5526.
Off the top of my head I can see 2 possibilities. 1. Intermittent loss of power on 308 Yellow from key switch. Wiring fault, bad connection, or even wear in the internal parts of the key switch itself.? 2. A shutdown timer that is slowly failing.
Nige, I am using schematic RENR5526. You sent it to me a few months ago. (Thanks again) I have been reading the manual on this, and the manual says: "Fuel shutoff solenoid is normally closed. When a voltage is applied, the plunger in the solenoid moves up in order to allow the fuel delivery which allows the engine to run." Which means the solenoid is always receiving 24V whenever the Engine is running. I think I will check all of the wires on the Timer and Ignition switch for damage. If none is found, replace the Solenoid. I am starting to think it is getting weak from age. If that doesn't fix it, replace the timer. BTW the timer is quite expensive. Nige, you insight is always appreciated.
I think what I might do in your position is to measure the voltage between the 327-PK wire at the shutoff solenoid and machine frame ground when the engine is running. If you have 24v then the solenoid is "energized to run". If you have 0v then switch off the engine using the key and keep measuring voltage. If it goes to 24v then your solenoid is "energized to stop". Watch how long it stays energized, because if the timer is working correctly it should de-energize a certain time after the ley was turned off. TBH energized to stop makes more sense to me because it means the shutoff solenoid does not have to be permanently energized in order to keep the engine running. AFAIK that is the purpose of the shutdown timer - when the key is put in the ON position the "timer cycle" is activated. As soon as the key is moved to the "OFF" position the timer energizes wire 327-PK for "X" seconds to stop the engine. After that point it de-energizes.