Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ship Salvage

Heavey Metal ยท 2013-09-16 11:06

Some serious hydraulics in use here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...9/Costa-Concordia-salvage-operation-live.html

Replies11
  1. #1d9gdon2013-09-16 13:45

    I'd like to see a time lapse of it when they're done. Very interesting and a big job too.

  2. #2Nige2013-09-16 14:14

    You can watch it live on BBC if you want ............... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24104643 I've got in the corner of the screen at work keeping an eye on progress.

  3. #3d9gdon2013-09-16 21:52

    Yeah Nige, Heavey Metals link is live also. I've never seen such in depth coverage on a website(s). I don't want to spend the time watching, I just want to see the end product in a sped up version. I did not have any idea that they did this after the Pearl Harbor attack, what a massive operation that must've been back then much less today with all the technical advances...but then again they built the Great Pyramids a long, long time before this and we don't even know how they did that for sure?? All still very interesting how it's done on such a massive scale. I suppose they're getting paid to do it by the Italian government and the ship salvage is just icing on the cake? Even though it's a little morbid what with the two fatalities still in the wreck...and I didn't realize how cowardice the Captain's actions were in the aftermath.

  4. #4Nige2013-09-17 10:19

    The wreck is in a Wildlife Conservation Area (doncha just love tree huggers?) and so it has to be disposed of one way or another. Apparently the original plan was to "just cut 'er up where she lies" but then when it was considered what damage could be done to the marine environment the decision was taken to pull the ship upright on to a platform then attach flotation tanks to it, float it off and take it to a shipbreaking yard drydock where it could be broken up under controlled conditions. At 114,000 tonnes this fecker is bigger than the Titanic FFS ......!! The Italian Government won't be paying a cent towards the salvage and final disposal, that will be 100% covered by the insurance underwriters. Have you ever wondered why that 5-day cruise from Miami around the Caribbean is the price that it is when basically all you're doing is staying in a hotel, albeit one that floats..? Maritime Insurance, that's why. I must admit at the beginning I wondered why after refloating the ship wouldn't possibly be fit to repair, but after seeing the damage on the side that was squashed against the rocks on the seabed it's obvious the only place it's going is the scrapyard. Apparently the side that was crushed had been compressed up to 3m (10ft) as it lay on its side, that's why the salvors were worried about the possibility of the hull splitting when they tried to winch it upright. Sped up timelapse photography .......... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24119836 A better idea of how it was actually done ....... http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/22/world/europe/costa-concordia-salvage-interactive/index.html

  5. #5The Peej2013-09-17 10:52

    Are there any pictures of it now upright? I've looked but they all stop at night in the dark

  6. #6Nige2013-09-17 10:57

    Try this link ........... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19962191

  7. #7d9gdon2013-09-17 22:55

    You can tell when gravity kind of takes over... Looks like a well planned mission. I wondered why they wouldn't cut it up there. Thanks Nige.

  8. #8watglen2013-09-18 03:17

    Here is an interesting story about life on the little island, and how 500 "coyboys" from the oil and marine salvage industries have changed things. The work crews have nearly doubled the population of the island, something you never considered.

  9. #9digger242j2013-09-18 07:04

    It bet it's really going to start to stink now that it's out of the water....

  10. #10Nige2013-09-18 07:17

    I'd have thought that the kitchens, etc, where all the rotting food is stored are probably still below the waterline even now the ship is upright.

  11. #11monster762013-09-21 23:41

    i just watched the time lapse crazy work i would of loved to be a part of that operation