If you found exactly what you wanted for a very good price in excellent condition for its' age, would you ship it 3000 miles just to get it? Somebody stop me, because I'm about ready to..... Found a great deal on a beautiful machine with all the features I ever wanted-only problem is that it's 3,000 miles away. Suggestions?
Why not? We got a great deal on a machine a few years ago and had it shipped from Kansas City to Iceland... don't ask me why, but it was first shipped across the pond to Rotterdam, I guess they thought it was cheaper that way
This was back in the '80s, but it's still relevant I guess. My dad purchased a Bucyrus-Erie 45C series II hydraulic truck crane. It was located in Los Angeles. Got a trucking company to haul that thing back here on a Lowboy, all 74,000 lbs of it. That was a heck of a good crane, just what we were looking for. If your getting the machine at a good price, compared to comparable machines in your area, the savings help offset the transport cost, and your getting what your looking for. Besides...truckers need work too.
I'm thinking it wil end up cheaper than local comparable models even with the shipping, unless the shipping is way out of line. Everything around here would need extra modification to get it to this machine-it's speced just like I want one. It has 4/1, extendahoe, powershift trans, aux rear hydraulics, Cab w/ AC, airseat and 5 backhoe buckets. Only thing I dislike is that it has 5,800 hours. I know that sounds high, but the guy owned it since new and took impeecable care of it. Looks like you could eat off the bottom it. Inside looks brand new. I swear the paint & condition on this 9 year old machine is better than my 3 year old CASE was. Looks like it was stored in a garage and washed/cleaned every week. Tires look 75% and no damage on the machine. I'm hoping for some sort of backhaul price that's cheaper than a primary haul price. That would probably seal the deal for me. Anyone want to guess the price of hauling an 18K hoe across the country?
Just a suggestion, but I would look into putting in on a flatbed rail car. And have it shipped to your local rail yard.
Getting closer. Intermodal is a better option. Put that whipper dipper in a sea crate, chain her down, away ya go. A railroad will be more willing to move it if it is in a sea crate, since it is easy for them to load and unload. See if you cant find a freight broker and see what they can come up with.
Edjumicate me: What is intermodal? A shipping container? I've seen equipment shipped by rail-looks pretty scary when it arrives.
Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYN3q31MlQ
OK, I get it, but something tells me that a company shipping 50 million dollars worth of new equipment will get a little better service than lil 'ol me shipping a used 25K backhoe.
This will help explain intermodal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_freight_transport Normally a lot of equipment dealers will break down bigger iron and put them in shipping containers to ship overseas. In your case, the backhoe shouldnt have to be broken down. Put it in the shipping container on the west coast, chain her down. Try and arrange it to be put in the container at the rail yard. It will be cheaper to ship in the container because the ease of handling it. The railroad will pick up the container, set it on a rail car, its ready to go. They dont have to ramp the machine on to a flat car, then spend the time to chain it down.
Would you expect this to be less costly than flatbed truck?
Duke talk with Mick over on LTS he brokers loads maybe he can hook you up http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/member.php?u=13
shipping $ I'm hoping for some sort of backhaul price that's cheaper than a primary haul price. That would probably seal the deal for me. Anyone want to guess the price of hauling an 18K hoe across the country?[/QUOTE] You could get it hauled for $2 a mile; so is it $6,000 of a good deal? Paul
Look at the cost of the machine and the shipping as one lump sum. If it´s a good deal, go for it. Are you having the machine inspected?
that is the one thing i always think of when looking at anything far away if you had to go to court the judge would say did you inspect it? unless it's comming from a dealer with a warnaty?
Would a backhoe even fit in a shipping comtainer?
I would have it inspected BEFORE you make any deals. Also NEVER pay any up front money to hold the machine or pay any shipping charges up front. I'm sure you know this but there are LOTS of scams out there dealing with heavy equipment. I recently delt with one myself. Could be legit, but doesen't hurt to be extra careful.
I'm getting u-ship bids for less than 1/2 that right now.
I'd like to, but I don't know anyone in CA who could do it for me. Might try to see if there's a NH dealer nearby who will spend an hour looking at it.
I'm getting bids of ~$2,700. Seems more reasonable than I thought......
shipping backhoes Thanks guys, I have been looking at online auctions and have been ignoring the machines in mid west & west coast because of distance. I am in Me. although Riche auctions has some auctions in Montreal which is about 400 miles or so but I do not know if there are problems bringing across the border paper work duty (taxes) etc. Any experiences with bringing machines in from Canada or should I just forget it. :beatsme Bob T
I am reliably informed that it is possible to get 2 JCB 3cx in a 40' container. 1 front bucket has to come off and the tyres deflated, its cheaper than driving them to Africa from UK I have not seen it done, only heard the pant gripping story of getting them in there off the back of a flat bed plant truck as the container was on an artic truck already
Do you guys in the States have containers with only a base and ends? I'm sure there will be a proper name for them. I find it hard to imagine they are only used this side of the pond. They are used for slightly over width freight that would not fit inside a standard box but still allows them to be stacked, lifted and moved by the standard box handling gear. I imagine one would be perfect for this move.
Duke, where in California is it?
I'm having a NH mechanic look at it for 1 hour on Monday. The only bad thing is the seller knows the mechanic-he serviced the machine for the seller, so the info may be a bit "tainted" as you can imagine.
Camarillo
Dumb question, did you get that info from the seller when you arranged the inspection ? or from the dealer. Either way I think I would have gone back to the dealer, scrubbed the inspection and spoken to the service or workshop manager and got the info you need from them. IMHO. :drinkup
That's pretty much what I did. The local NH dealer I contacted also services his machine. The service manager spoke very highly of the seller before I mentioned to them I was even buying the machine. They said he was "way overboard" on maintenance and "anal" about cleaning & caring for his equipment. Seller sent me pictures. Looks like a new machine. Even at 9 yrs old it looked better than my 2 yr old CASE.
I had quotes to ship a Link Belt 160 from New Jersey to Idaho and it was 4500 to 5500. I did not mapquest the miles but it can't get a lot further away.
did you end up shipping it? im looking to ship a backhoe from chicago to texas.
I have never met him, but there is a guy in Shirley, Massachusetts - Steve Mannix _ _ he does a lot of shipping, maybe all exporting. I would call him to see how he would move stuff. His specialty I believe, is putting big pieces of heavy equipment into containers, but I would think he would know a lot about shipping issues Mod Edit - Please do not post phone numbers that are not your own, it's against the forum rules. Thanks CM From the Forum Rules-
Back in '84 I went to Houston,Texas for a huge 330 piece only Deere auction.Bought my almost new 450D dozer,shipped it back from a trucker right on site for only $500.My Dad unloaded it back home in NY,said the trailer had 2 backhoes also on it. The company that went belly up was Hyco,it still has the faded decal on my dozer.Anybody remember them?
I bought an excavator out of North Carolina last fall and had it shipped to Arkansas, bout 800 miles or so. like you I found the machine considerably cheaper, about 8 to 10k cheaper than in my area. I used Landis Brokers out of Florida and I think it was well worth what I paid. Don't know where your hoe is but he shipps across country everyday. My machine didn't require any permits, called him and gave him VIN#,he got specs and gave me quote in about 10 minutes. Don't let shipping make you miss out, not often you find what your looking for.
That is impressive. I saw another vid with a fellow moving a backhow on to a rail coal car just using the hoe and bucket....Real cool but I don't think I would try it. Brad
backhoe!! should have worn my glasses!