Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shipping a couple D7Fs overseas by container

LCA078 · 2025-02-01 10:24

I like watching C&C because he does a lot of videos on ex-military dozers and I've learned a few things here/there but these two videos blew my mind. They're containerizing a couple ex-military D7Fs to be shipped to Africa which I never thought be cost effective but it must be. Maybe our buddies in "down under" would like us to ship a few bits to them too? First video of breaking down the dozer: Second video of stuffing it: Just sharing for amusement as I have no relation to these guys but do find them entertaining most of the time.

Replies7
  1. #1.RC.2025-02-01 19:01

    I have a cousin who is currently struggling to get two old rooted D7F's of the same vintage going so they can do some pulling work. He could do with some spare parts. Starting with a D7R.

  2. #2.RC.2025-02-02 06:58

    OK so I watched the videos on fast forward. They put no packing between the dozer frame and the track frame. As it is sideways the entire front weight of the machine is supported by the dead axle acting like a giant lever all the way to Africa. A sizable chunk of timber jammed between the track and the hard nose could have made all the difference. Or even tack weld some RHS in there. No packing in the container to stop anything slipping and sliding all over the place. It was just chuck it in and close the door.

  3. #3crane operator2025-02-02 08:35

    I didn't watch the video. Everything I've ever dealt with in overseas shipping, the containers get opened at the port, and the longshoremen get in there and weld iron everywhere until they are happy. And they will weld to anything on the machine. Rops, cylinders, bearings etc. And it usually makes no sense how they brace it.

  4. #4LCA0782025-02-02 09:27

    Ouch.

  5. #5Vetech632025-02-02 10:02

    I did this 1 time with a pettione traverse lift…….a model 10032. It was such a pain in the ass to fit that machine into a shipping container. I had to remove all kinds of things. It was rediculous

  6. #6Nige2025-02-02 10:26

    You can fit all sorts of things into a 40ft shipping container.

  7. #7LCA0782025-02-02 12:03

    I can only imagine the damage to that 320 when it gets pulled out and reassembled. But then again..there's a reason it wasn't purchased to be used locally.