So, to those who have taken their lives to another side of the earth, and of those people, who took their tools and equipment? I've got three boxes of gear, each at about 400kg, one being a roll cab so pretty susceptible to damage. Any experience or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Simon
Proffessional shippers & stout wooden packing cases would be my first thought. Your average furniture moving company wouldn't be much help with something not so large physically but that weighed 400kg. Custom-made (in other words reusable) packing cases with smooth interiors made out of 1/2" or 3/4" ply maybe..? Will the wheels come off the roll cab so it will sit flat on the floor of a packing case..? Less risk of the wheels punching through the floor that way.
Yeah, I've done some looking into it. You're right on the mark Nige with custom crate etc. I've had a few quotes and I'm only confident that one of them actually knows what they are doing. And for me, one in a fair few is a little concerning. Odd tho, as I'm not the first or last! And at the end of the day, it all came from the states to begin with! Just a bit cautious boxing up my livelihood... Replacing, although catalogued would be near on impossible. Tbh within reason I'm not actually so bothered about cost, I want them safe and sound. Was just putting out the feelers if anyone had done it from the HEF.
Maybe even worth getting custom-made packing cases with floor, walls, & lid done in good solid ply and then all lined with 1/8" rubber to avoid the toolboxes inside fretting on the timber during transit. What you'll generally find though is that new toolboxes are generally shipped with no tools in them (often just in cardboard boxes, certainly that's how they rock up here) hence the weight is much less. Totally different kettle of prawns if you're trying to move them with the tools inside, or are you planning on shipping the boxes and tools separately..?
Yair . . . I reckon I'd make up some nice ply-wood crates, pack all the tools and buy new boxes when I got there. At least it would cut down on some volume and just think of all those you-beaut (relatively) inexpensive roll-chests and tool boxes in Canada and the US. Cheers.
It's very common here in Aus for minesite fitters to have their toolboxes shipped out to remote sites. Just strap them to a pallet and cover them with cling wrap. The general rule is buy/make really heavy duty toolboxes and get used to the idea that they're going to get knocked about a bit. Their purpose is to make a living, not look pretty I personally like and own Dalby sheet metal boxes. www.dsmtoolboxes.com
I would take a look at where you're headed. I shipped some of my personal stuff overseas last time I deployed. We lost two whole connexs (including about $3k of my personal tools) en-route. The satellite tracking devices "mysteriously quit transmitting" going through Pakistan. No matter how you pack it and ship it I would recommend some kind of insurance. Stuff falls off of trucks all the time, especially if its high dollar stuff.
Cheers for your thoughts @ cmark, yeah, my roadchest is good for a beating. It's only really my workshop box that matters condition wise. I'll check out that link tho. Hopefully get things moving in the next six weeks so if it goes well or badly, I'll post my experience
You are heading for Australia I take it....?
Alberta, Canada. although, for some time I did consider Australia. Ive friends and old customers who have moved there.
Well then I'll post this link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wbJNf6Wk8&feature=kp
I like a bit of country! :drinkup:usa
Well, best of luck with wherever you end up. Keep us posted :thumbsup
Had a butchers at dsm boxes... I always thought my roadchest would take some beating to better. It lacks a little on space but seems to be hard as an old ox. If first impressions are anything to go by, it's pony compared with their gear. I like it. Cheers for sharing.
Faber toolboxes are about as tough as they come: http://www.fabertoolboxes.com.au/
I would think carefully before shipping a box loaded with tools. There was a thread on garagejournal where one lad had his box shipped (in a plywood crate) from a mine site in Canada and at some point it must have been dropped and the weight of the tools buckled the frame of the box to the point it was unusable. If it was me I think I would pack up all the tools into a steel chest like a van vault or similar which would be much more resistant to damage. Would be easy to fabricate something yourself with angle iron and a bit of sheet steel if you're that way inclined I'd probably buy a box over there but if you would prefer to have your own then I would build a sturdy plywood crate and line it with 25mm polystyrene sheets and load the roll cab in empty or maybe with just a few light bits and pieces well packed in the drawers. Just my thoughts on it.
Get lots of insurance. Tool boxes usually get "lost" in shipping.
Thanks for everyone's input here. So to clarify where I am on it all: My roadchest is full of my tools and will take as much of a beating as is dished out to it. It has survived two roll overs in a van so I figure the only the only problem for that one is going missing. I have another box, like a van vault full of other bits and pieces... Same deal. The last one, snap on KR7100B, I don't use, it's empty, dusty, and if I'm honest, will cause more agro than its worth to ship. But, I like it. One day I just might use it. And with its condition it's not replaceable. So it's coming with me. The best yet I've had is 1625gbp to collect all three, custom build crates around them with lined 12mil ply. Then move them via sea freight to San fransisco. I will collect from the docks there. Insurance at 17500gbp sets me back another 300quid or so. I made it clear to the potential carriers that I have have a full photographic itinerary which I will require signing for full responsibility and insurance purposes. Seemed to surprise but be accepted. So I'm still waiting on some numbers and am still concerned of the thought of my gear going missing! To be continued....
Update. My gear is heading to a uk based company for crating tomorrow. It's going to cost me just shy of £700english. They are going to build a custom pallet based crate with a styrene lining inside. Seems reassuring. I'll get some before and after pics. (To follow) It's then going to the docks... The best price I got was shipping to San fransisco and roading it up north. :USA here they come.
In my opinion, you should go for some trusted courier brand. Some shipment companies also make insurance of your goods.
Thats my road chest before and then boxed. Its a 12mm ply crate lined with a polystyrene board. I wasn't convinced but it seems pretty well built. Guess the proof is in the state it is when it gets unboxed. :usa That and two others are heading in a container to their (and my) new home. A few months to go...
Did I remember to send you my ship to address? Good Luck hope everthing gets there fine
Yair . . . simonsrplant . Looking good . . . but you would wonder why they didn't apply a couple of bands of strapping, looks like its held together with edge screws/nails into plywood? Cheers.
I used to move my tools to remote locations in Alaska by air, boat, and road. The best method I found was to get a pallet made of hardwood, and band the boxes down to the pallet. I saved room for 2x4's to sit on top of the pallet as posts, then screwed them down. From there I cut plywood pannels for sides, and fremed in the top rim so I could lay the cover piece down and screw it to the box. A couple of times I assembles the shipping box in the back of a pick up truck so when I got to the shipper, we could use the forklift. Nothing was ever broken or stolen. Hope this helps.
What company did you end up using to get your things roaded up north? And how in the world were you able to find a good company? I'm so darn skeptical of almost every company because I've heard a lot of crazy things about companies you would expect to be professional. I saw a list of some in my area on a website I found but again I'd rather go off someone else's positive experience with a company.
I'd love to give you a recommendation, but I can't. The container with my gear in missed two sailings. They say on a port for nearly a month due to incompetence. There have been loads of problems and issues which **** me off a lot. They are currently still in transit, so I'm not going start name dropping. No good news. I guess it's like an insurance company. You never know how good they are till it's too late. Where are you moving to and from? Good luck
*Update* All three crates arrived, in the same condition as they left. Im pleased and relieved! The last leg is from California to Alberta and should land by close of play today.
Good to hear, I was a little worried as it had been a bit since you last posted. Any wentworth tools in those boxes? If I ever get around to working on the old Triumph motorcycle might be needing some!
lol, you mean whitworth!! jeez, thats some old school tackle! no, I left the little whit gear at home, figured i'd not be needing it!
Wonder why my spell checker missed that one! Probably be included in the next update
Ring ring: Hi, this is your customs broker... What is an Ingersoll Rand impact gun?... And on it went... They want to know everything... Seems they are pulling it apart! Ah well, that's another week