Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shop Air Handler/Exhaust fan/Air Exchanger Systems

Silveroddo ยท 2019-02-02 17:00

Hey There, Looking to see what, if anything anyone is doing for air handler systems in their shops. I've got a 30x50 shop w/ 14' ceilings that's spray foamed and finished in tin and I need to do something about diesel exhaust, paint fumes, etc. I'm in MN and the shop heats extremely efficiently with infloor heat on a propane boiler with a separate make up heat system and one thing I'm curious about are the impacts different options would have on heating. At the moment the options I'm looking at are a simple exhaust fan framed into an exterior wall, or something like this https://www.hvacquick.com/products....MIpbzvv4We4AIVnoSzCh1luwSWEAkYAiABEgKj1vD_BwE Whats everyone doing? Anything?

Replies4
  1. #1Steve Bowman2019-02-09 20:54

    My shop space is about 24x40 with 14' ceilings. I 1st installed a largish repurposed squirrel cage blower for general exhaust. A set of 14x14 louvers can easilly be had online. That's fine for general purposes, but I think it is better to collect some things at the sources, like exhaust or welding fumes, so i also installed a 6" round inline duct fan connected to flexible duct. The fan I used is more geared towards hydroponic grow operations, but it works great.

  2. #2Steve Bowman2019-02-09 21:03

    Google can-fan. I picked up a couple at a sheriff auction for about $40 each, but they are about $100 new. You can barely hear it running. I used a 6" wall vent with damper. I wanted much more cfm than a typical wall mount attic fan, is why i went with the blower, but one this large is a little loud but effective. I used a Broan 433 shutter for the outside. It seals up tight when it is off. Old furnce air handlers are a good source for the blower.

  3. #3Steve Bowman2019-02-09 21:12

    The heat recovery units look great, for what they do. But i dont know if you would be satisfied with the cfm. My small can-fan does over 300cfm i think. I bet my big fan does 1 or 2 thousand cfm. I can stand 12' away from the outlet and easilly feel the breeze. I like to think my shop is fairly tight, and i run a tube heater in the ceiling, but I will say that when i fire up my big fan, it definitely sucks in cold air from wherever it can.

  4. #4Silveroddo2019-02-14 12:35

    Thanks for the info, those are the types of things I'm looking for. In all reality I have makeup heat so I'll probably just have to set up a large exhaust fan or squirrel cage to clear the shop then let it come up to temp again, mainly because it looks like I can buy a lot of propane for what these exchanger systems cost v.s. their size and capabilities. This isn't something I'd have given a lot of thought to years ago but I've been working out of another shop for the last 5-6 years and the ventilation system sucks and I can tell I'm much more sensitive to it than I used to be.