Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shop Clean out and Tool Organization

Old Doug · 2026-04-04 08:31

I am just working 4 days a week at my job i may back off to less days because of getting older, trying to clean up the farm to sell and other things. So right now i am cleaning out the shop big time and sorting my tools. Like a lot say i shouldnt have let things get like this but they have. I am blessed or cursed with being able to get bolts,hardware and tools cheap so i have more than i need. I think i need to put a sign just inside the door saying Do you Need That ? .

Replies30
  1. #1crane operator2026-04-04 08:40

    I guy I used to work with is retired now, he goes to a weekend swap meet and just fills a table. Little by little he's cleaning out stuff, and it gives him a little cash in his pocket. If you do that, price it to sell. Then whatever doesn't sell, haul to the dump.

  2. #2John Shipp2026-04-04 09:49

    Did that once, made 800. Took the rest to the dump on way back, was sad to chuck some of it away but I can't remember missing any of it.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-04-05 00:24

    Throw it in the auction if it's hard to sell. People will pay stupid money sometimes for a lot of different tools bunched together. They get the one tool they really want and figure the rest is a bonus. Better than just chucking it out.

  4. #4Old Doug2026-04-05 07:41

    I am looking for a auction place . I took a few boxes several hundred pounds of new air gun nails to a auction place and they bought $1.00 Dollar i got .80 cents of it. I will try it agin when i find a place.

  5. #5DDoug2026-04-05 08:42

    Interesting...as I tried 2 auction houses with various tools, and I as well got a crisp $1 bill for bunch of tools. The thieves probably sold it to their friends just before the auction for cheap.....

  6. #692U 34062026-04-05 12:31

    My experience is hand tools seem to be a buyer's market at general consignment auctions unless there's a lot of tools in it. Attracts a different crowd than the folks looking for furniture or appliances.

  7. #7donkey doctor2026-04-05 15:09

    What no thrift shops to donate them to so they can get a few $$ for charity. I had a friend who started volunteering in one when he retired. He found they were sending old pots and pans to the landfill. He knew what aluminum was worth and from then on they were saved and when it was worth a trip they went to the scrap dealer. Everything a thrift shop brings in is profit. d.d.

  8. #8DDoug2026-04-05 17:07

    My sister shops at....."The SA Boutique" as she calls it ...

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-04-05 18:55

    Could try to put them in a farm auction where people pay good money for other people's junk but also lots of bidders need tools. Pawn shops are another option.

  10. #10Truck Shop2026-04-05 19:21

    Me--I'm going to sell the boxes with tools plus carts plus specialized tools for X amount of cents on the dollar as a complete starter set for a young mechanic. One price and all goes in one fell swoop. At a price they can't pass up. Don't need it and don't want it left for others to deal with when I'm dead.

  11. #11Truck Shop2026-04-06 18:14

    The only item I will keep and sell separately is the circa 1911 REO badge. Included will be Series 60 cam support, seal installers, A few 3406,C15 tools, Cummins timing tool, cam bearing driver/slugs also for Dodge/Chevy/Ford, Sockets/50% snap-on up to 3" All torque wrenches up to 600 ft lb, 2500 lb trans jack, rear drive unit-flywheel-clutch caddy jack. liner puller, and lots of ratchets, sockets and plenty of other crap. * I will then go by a new 199 piece mechanics tool set for home and become a DYI mechanic. *

  12. #12Tony Wells2026-04-06 19:51

    Old Doug.....I know a guy....might be just what you need, provided you're willing to ship stuff. LMK.

  13. #13Old Doug2026-04-07 06:47

    I dont think there is enough money to ship much and time . I wish it was different .

  14. #14Tony Wells2026-04-07 09:12

    Well, it was just a thought. I hope you get this all worked out to your satisfaction.

  15. #15stinky642026-04-07 12:19

    Referred to as Sally Anne's Boutique here.

  16. #16stinky642026-04-07 17:08

    For those who don't know, Salvation Army Thrift Store= the Boutique

  17. #17HarleyHappy2026-04-08 10:40

    It is the only place to find flannel shirts, real ones, that are just getting broken in!

  18. #18Truck Shop2026-04-08 19:40

    S A is pretty worthless around here, take everything to St. Vinny's.

  19. #19Truck Shop2026-04-08 19:41

    Glad I posted those photos of tools, already have a local HEF shopper interested.

  20. #20stinky642026-04-10 10:16

    If St. Vinny's is St. Vincent DePaul, we got that here too. Those people take everything. Couple of years ago friend had to clear out Dad's place, they showed up and cleaned house, took just about everything, even carried the furniture from the 3rd floor apt. Four little Malaysian dudes, worked their asses off.

  21. #21skyking12026-04-10 13:25

    Boy, this threat is timely for me. Today is the day I'm moving tool boxes from the old house to the new basement. There's going to be purging and sorting. At this end. At the other end they'll be organizing. I'm loading up the wood tools, the table saw the planer vacuum system, router table, other odds and ends. We had to catch a good weather day on both ends.

  22. #22Zewnten2026-05-05 19:56

    Sometimes it's hard to know where to even start Doug. I usually just pick a small flat surface and put down 3 small bins and a big trash can. Throwing away "useful" things is also hard, usually need it the next project.

  23. #23JD955SC2026-05-18 05:11

    My tools are largely retired except for work at home but I keep them because I know sure as hell if I sell them off I’ll be right back into the field I’ve seen that happen multiple times to other people. Plus if the economy goes to crap I’ll have the tools to keep us fed working on anything and everything

  24. #24Old Doug2026-05-18 07:42

    It have some broken name brand tool truck tools but i dont see trucks very much anymore . I am going to call some of them to see if maybe i could send the tools some were and get them repaired ?

  25. #25stinky642026-05-18 09:41

    If you've got any broken Snappy call 877-762-7664 tell them truck doesn't come to your shop any more, set up an account. Most stuff they don't even want sent back, they even sent me rebuild kits for air hammer and 3/8 impact no charge (maybe a fluke?) have warrantied a bunch of stuff, shipped right to the house, they even cover postage.

  26. #26colson042026-05-18 18:00

    I have used S&K and Craftsman warranty websites in the last year. Both had you fill out a form, provide the part number of the offending tool and then mailed me whatever needed replacing, free of charge. I was surprised craftsman sent me a replacement 10mm hex bit that I broke. I thought for sure they'd tell me no. 7 days later, a new one showed up. I've gone through several rebuild kits for my ½" drive S&K ratchet over the years, but I willingly use it as a breaker bar on everything. I've snapped off the square drive and stripped out the ratchet gears. They never question how it was used, just send me a rebuild kit.

  27. #27Pops522026-05-18 18:55

    TS, I like all the badges on your box but you need one more..

  28. #28DDoug2026-05-18 20:30

    ...and any cash they found hidden here & there ?

  29. #29Welder Dave2026-05-22 22:54

    Too bad Truck Shop's tool box didn't come with his vast knowledge of everything to do with trucks and trailers. If there was a special Jeopardy with truck categories Truck Shop would win hands down!

  30. #30Truck Shop2026-05-22 23:07

    I'll take "that truck doesn't exist for $500 Alex"