Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to keep Squirrels out of a shop ?

Old Doug · 2026-04-03 09:04

I have Squirrels coming in the ceiling insulation of our 60x100 metal shop . I found a live trap and am going to set it today. Does a radio help or some kind of chemical. I would be all for trying to close up were they are coming in but that would be hard to find out. How far away do i need to take them if i catch them in the trap?

Replies43
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2026-04-03 09:18

    Tastes better than chicken

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-04-03 10:01

    My neighbor and a few farmers I know, leave a radio playing in their barns and swear it works. I myself just shoot them and it only takes a minute to skin them. The tails get deboned and sent to Mepps for credits on spinners and the dog gets the deboned meat from the slow cooker. Sometimes if it’s not convenient, they feed the snapping turtles in the river.

  3. #3John C.2026-04-03 12:18

    Are the eating something inside or just getting ready to nest for babies? How are they getting in?

  4. #4HATCHEQUIP2026-04-03 13:25

    If not givum time they just havent thought of it yet. We have cats and they dont share with anything.

  5. #5Deere500a2026-04-03 14:23

    12pk, a cup & friendly yote or see if home Depot has it in stock Coyote urine replent dump some on rags stick'em up there

  6. #6Old Doug2026-04-04 06:52

    Nesting or i think 110% of animals are just curious. Years ago we built a new shop .We had cats on that property but not a problem in the shop until years later Dad worked on something with a buddy and took some cookies in there and had a coffee break. Right after that we had problems so no way will I take any kind of food in there. I dont think unless you spent A LOT of time you could figure out were they are coming in. I cut down some trees and limbs around it. I put a trap in last night I will check it this morning and go to the farm supply today to see what the sell to help with the problem.

  7. #7DDoug2026-04-04 08:19

    Name 'em & train 'em.....You need some helpers anyways.....

  8. #8HarleyHappy2026-04-04 08:39

    I bought some expensive packages of Cab Fresh from TS, to try over this winter. Skid steer has had a mouse nest all winter, stinking up the cab. Think it’s in the air box for the heater. Need to remove seat, when time allows. Noticed yesterday, the bag of Cab Fresh is half gone and 2” away is the dredges of a mouse nest, hanging under the heat box. Pretty sure the mice used the stuff in the bag for their nest. That was a waste of money. Need some new cats, wife has let our 2 become house cats.

  9. #9BC Placer gold2026-04-04 10:00

    I also have tried that (rather--expensive) Cab Fresh. Put it in the cab of our Deere 50d and haven't had any mice in since....but I have suspected just ---ancedotal--- success. Perhaps just no mice found their way in. Years ago I put a bunch of bounce sheets (urban myth of usefullness) in the trunk of my wife's parked Honda Accord. In the early fall I happened to check and found a giant mouse nest built right on top of the bounce sheets. Not sure the answer to mice, squirrels and other rodents. It is a very frustrating problem for sure.

  10. #10stinky642026-04-04 10:26

    Breakfast bars, worth every penny. Squirrels are just rats with a fuzzy tail.

  11. #11Deere500a2026-04-04 11:35

    Experience with block bait need tie em down or they run & stock pile em with there acorns.

  12. #12DDoug2026-04-04 12:37

    ...and this would a bad thing how ?

  13. #13Deere500a2026-04-04 12:47

    Maybe weeks before they eat em if at all. Cars I place them on air cleaners only to find a mess in air box or glove box of stored food & uneaten blocks. Tie em force em to eat it free

  14. #14Welder Dave2026-04-05 00:05

    There's some new pouches called Sofyre I saw on the internet that claim to be the best mouse repellent. Good for 30 days but pricey. Peppermint oil seems to work with some success. I sprayed it on Cab Fresh pouches.

  15. #15Tinkerer2026-04-05 08:26

    Look for a hole in the soffit and fascia for an opening. That is how they were getting in my grandson's house. Most poisons cause internal bleeding and is a cruel thing to do. Not only that, the animal can die in unusual places and stink for months if you cannot find it. Especially mice. I had a squirrel die in my basement wall between the drywall and insulation. It had suffocated there. I had to remove about 40 feet of finished drywall before I found it. It was in the winter and it must have been getting warm by standing on the furnace chimney and fell down it. Birds do that on a regular basis. An ear of corn in a live trap will catch squirrels successfully. Be aware that trapping and relocating squirrels is against the law without a permit from the Dept.of Conversation in of areas.

  16. #16Old Doug2026-04-07 06:40

    I got some peanuts still in the shell and put in the trap . They got the peanuts but didnt get trapped . I will try something else. I have been really busy with several deals i wish i didnt have this deal to mess with.

  17. #17pumkinhead2026-04-07 08:26

    New Hampshire undercoating with mouse out has been working well for me to keep rodents out of the trucks NHOU V3 Hybrid Undercoating NHOU V3 is a hybrid rustproofing solution blending oil, wax, and lanolin Wax deep penetration and long-lasting protection. Cleaner, safer, advanced rust protection for your vehicle. nhoilundercoating.com

  18. #18HarleyHappy2026-04-07 09:18

    I have heard from several camper owners, that the Mouse Out sprayed all around the camper base does work better than anything else. Think next fall going to buy a gallon and spray it around everything that stays parked for the winter.

  19. #19Tinkerer2026-04-07 10:08

    I use two big Hava-Heart traps. Racoon size. Some critters could avoid stepping on the sheet metal plate that releases the door and steal the bait. I made a ramp to put on it. Made it out of sheet metal. I have also used 1/4 inch plywood. Depending on how far up the trigger plate it is positioned determines how sensitive it is. For mice my favorite trap is a glue trap anchored to a small board. I have had mice walk away with the trap because they weren't stuck in the glue real well. Before I started attaching the traps to boards I caught one and it was able to walk away with the trap because it had just one foot in the glue. A small dab of peanut butter in the center of a glue trap makes much more attractive to mice.

  20. #20BC Placer gold2026-04-07 10:25

    I'll give that a try as well. Can't hurt to do an experiment to see if it works... We have a 1977 Kamperette that sits every winter at our mining claims. It is just used as lockable storage for oils, parts etc. It took two years but the squirrels managed to sit up on the box top sides (the camper sits in an old Dodge truck box utility trailer) and chew though the 1/2" overhang plywood and get into the unit. They chewed out an 8" hole. I patched with 1/2" plywood and they are halfway through again! (I just made the first trip into camp April 1st) At least they have not touched our main living quarters RV! -A humorous side note- A couple of years ago a Black Bear had licked up a bunch of grease from the boom foot area on our 210; then proceeded to stand up and leave large greasy tongue lick prints all over the glass! Bears love to eat or drink used engine oil or grease if they can get it. We are very careful not to leave stuff out, but one time had just done an oil change and left camp briefly for some reason---came back to find half a pail of warm engine oil had been drank!

  21. #21HATCHEQUIP2026-04-07 10:49

    Well after that the bears are regular and no its not just in the woods

  22. #22treemuncher2026-04-20 07:12

    Use a Conibear style trap. From a search: "The best Conibear-style trap size for squirrels is a #110 (4.5" x 4.5") or #120 (approx. 5" x 5") body-grip trap. These, especially in the 110 size, provide a quick, humane kill and are ideal for targeting red, gray, and fox squirrels, as well as chipmunks." Do NOT get your fingers caught in one of these. They do hurt. No need to ask how I know. There are plenty of videos out there on how to mount these up for squirrels for best results. This method solves the problem where as a live trap just moves the problem temporarily. A carrot mounted on the trigger wire smeared with peanut butter seams to work well. Find where they are getting in at and ad Pest-Block foaming goo and/or hardware cloth to stop ingress.

  23. #23smifwal2026-07-19 19:31

    Saw this at O'Reilly's this morning

  24. #24Truck Shop2026-07-19 20:18

    That works fairly well, farmers around here use it in all equipment, parking a piece just over night in a wheat field it will have a family by morning. *

  25. #25terex herder2026-07-20 07:33

    Wood lock oil also seems to work well. Like all the odorants, it only lasts a month or two. It also helps cover up the mouse smell in the cab.

  26. #26chidog2026-07-31 03:30

    Any place they can fit through needs a screen or the area boarded over. And all the doors can't not have any area's that show light shining through, as the mice or rodents fit though all that very nicely.

  27. #27colson042026-07-31 06:14

    I just found this thread and my first thought was a conibear. Then I kept reading and found you beat me to it, three months ago. @Old Doug Did you get your squirrel problem solved?

  28. #28Truck Shop2026-07-31 07:42

    Suspend a ma deuce from ceiling operated by motion detector that rotates 360*.

  29. #29CM19952026-07-31 10:02

    We had a terrible time with squirrels getting into our attic. They chewed through the facia board and decking behind the gutter in several places. Also chewed the corner above an eyebrow on the front gable. What I found that works great for sealing up the holes is spray foam with steel wool impregnated in it. Messy to do but when they chew through the foam they don't like the steel wool. I used brillo pads. What ultimately stopped them from even trying was a combination of Lucy and one of these - Crosman® Full Auto R1 (Black) (BB) Crosman Full Auto R1 CO₂ BB air rifle delivers full or semi-auto fire, 430 FPS performance, and realistic AR-style controls. www.crosman.com Lucy killed at least 6-7, I lost count. I got a few with the AR. I went full mid-evil and each time we killed one I draped it on the fence for several hours for the rest of them to see. Apparently worked since we haven't had one try to get back in.

  30. #30crane operator2026-07-31 17:29

    I've got a problem in this vein, and I think I have made it worse. We get groundhogs. We've trapped in the past, but we have a young one right now, and it doesn't want to get trapped, at least not before my wife's cat walks in the trap. Wife feeds the cats on the back deck, and the groundhog likes cat food. Tried to get the wife to feed the cats out in the yard, to allow a "shooting range" so to speak. Wife doesn't want lethal methods used, but wants him gone. Yesterday I spotted him further out in the yard, so I GI joed around the corner of the house, and plugged him with a .22 But he was right by the deck. And his burrow is under the deck. And he made it to the burrow. I can't access the burrow, without tearing the deck boards off. So I've solved the long term problem, but is living with the dead groundhog stink for a few days, going to be less work than tearing our new deck up, and fishing his carcass out? I know that he's partially under a chunk of old sidewalk that's under the deck, so I'm not even sure I can get him out, even if I tear up the deck. I'm thinking he might just be okay, right where he's at. We're pretty busy right now, so I'm not even home much, but the Mrs is there , most days. My biggest concern, is that I know I'm going to not go after him, then he's going to start stinking. Then she's going to want me to go after him, when he's really stinking and soft and gooey. Pray for steady breezes boys.

  31. #31DDoug2026-07-31 18:01

    I catch them all the time in a #330 conibear. 7-10 days should be it for stink, try blowing or shoveling some lime in the hole.

  32. #32CM19952026-07-31 18:08

    Good Lord Craneop your situation reminds me of when we also had roof rats. Not mice - rats. There is a small year around creek in our backyard and for years we never had any issues with rodents what so ever until the Walmart Market place moved in an old Winn Dixie spot around the corner. The detention pond dumps into this creek. So we had several problems with the rats going through the 4" corrugated pipe I buried in the backyard then up the gutter (never knew they could climb straight up but they can) and into the attic. This was the along the same time we were dealing with the squirrels. Wife had the pest control company come out and put some glue traps in the attic - huge ******* mistake. Pest guy put one in the little hole over the eyebrow in the front gable. At the same time I went through disconnecting the 4" corrugated from the downspouts, putting in a little grate top on the pipe then rodent screens on the downspouts. All of the rodent proofing eventually worked. However we forgot about the glue trap. There is a set of walk up stairs in to the attic for storage and access to the A/C and heat pump unit. Wife goes upstairs to stack more crap up that we should throw away and notices a "smell". Of course it was this time of year and had been a blistering day on the job. Get home to the good news from the wife who also informs me that she remembered the pest guy put a glue trap by the hole in the gable. Now to access the gable one has to crawl over the a/c unit and walk across 2x6 ceiling joists which in this area is 3' above the 9' ceilings on the main level. So I put on the nitrile gloves, the hd ones in the toolbox, done a N95 mask, grab two kitchen garbage bags then set off across the a/c unit balancing on 2x6's in 100 degree heat trying not to Clark Griswald the foyer ceiling. I get over to the said glue trap with the wife talking the entire way. She says "Is there anything I can do?". I said yes - you can stop talking and go back down stairs.. Silence followed. It was very squishy and vile. So Craneop I'd get the demo bar out and start removing those deck boards. One of the few times in the last 23 years my wife did 2 things - actually listen to what I said and be quiet. All due to a smell..

  33. #33stinky642026-07-31 18:52

    X-2 on dumping a bag of lime down the hole. Set it and forget it. Conibears used to be my go-to for chucks but Danger Kitty is an indoor/outdoor kinda chick.

  34. #34CM19952026-07-31 18:56

    That can be a decade for a wife.

  35. #35crane operator2026-07-31 19:05

    I'm guessing day 3-4 is going to be the limit.

  36. #36treemuncher2026-07-31 19:29

    Why not mix up some concrete in a watery mix and fill the olfactory offender's hole, mafia style?

  37. #37DDoug2026-07-31 20:22

    'When in Doubt, use Grout"

  38. #38CM19952026-07-31 20:30

    Decades??!!!

  39. #39smifwal2026-07-31 21:07

    A century to the husband

  40. #40Truck Shop2026-07-31 22:20

    Throw out some peanuts, use a wrist rocket---quiet and very deadly. Crossbow is quiet too.

  41. #41terex herder2026-08-01 21:51

    Old time trapper's trick was to cut a piece of barb wire about 3' long from the nearest fence. Bend the end to make a crank. Stick the other end down the hole and start cranking. The barbed wire will get tangled up in the fur and pull it out. I've seen live coyotes and badgers pulled out that way. It gets kinda sporty. Better get at it quick before the fur just pulls out. Mentholatum under your nose before you put the dust mask on will help with the smell.

  42. #42colson042026-08-02 15:57

    I have plenty of old barbed wire, bit never heard of that trick. Sounds like a two person operation. One runs the wire, the other executes immediately on site.

  43. #43DMiller2026-08-09 06:47

    Had Groundhog along front of house foundation, evidently aggravated it enough backfilling the holes moved to under front porch sidewalk and performed similar with large blocks of the Stone used on landscaping in access points. It managed to get out but holes would collapse then moved under deck behind the Breezeway in corner next to house garage. Finally got it to exit the burrow pouring Apple Cider Vinegar down the hole removing one board. Old timer in the Farm Store coffee clutch gave the vinegar option. As it was in the yard it bought a .22lr slug and was tossed over fence, something had a good dinner as was gone next day. Have a pest service spray the buildings here and they set rat bait boxes for mice, he noted the bait supplier changes up the compound as mice or other vermin figure out the odor or content is Bad Juju, find a few dead ones in shop or the little shed on occasion and he gives me a few blocks to reset the bait boxes in KW and The Camper. No odors or located deceased in either of those, So Far. Main component in the baits is Blood Thinner Coumadin, same stuff Heart Patients use to prevent clots.