Not sure if its the right forum or not but I didn't see a "how to build a shop hoist" forum Here's what I need help with, I need pictures of what you have. I am just curious and would like to see other shops setups. Can anyone tell me what # and size "I" beam I would need to say.....hold up 2 ton 15 foot away from pivot, I could always run a support rod close to the center or end? Pj
This shop at your house ? not used for industrial or commercial use ,you have no employee's ?
I say find an auction.... purplewave, iron planet or something pretty sure it would have to be certified for shop use.... inspected yearly... boeing wichita has a surplus store it's open on Fridays.... if i remember correctly... The might have a a shop type crane... there's about a billion cranes in that factory of one kind or another probably cheaper than new or home built but at an auction you have to deal with people that won't quit bidding
Not sure where that post is going or if I wanna play along or not. Pj
Hi powerjoke.If your shop is not to wide a "bridge crane" is a nice addition to a shop and not too hard to build.There is a pretty good picture of mine in the crane section under thread "outriger repack",second picture on post #16.I dont know how to transfur the photo to your thread but my buddy ATCOEQUIP dose.I built mine,any questions hollar at me.
You mean like this bro?
Here's that Post:
Thanks ATCO & 95zIV !
Because if it is ...your in a mess if somebody gets injured with a home-made crane ..
25c Could you post some more pictures of your crane. What is it rated at, and did you do anything extra to the posts that it looks like you attachted it to?
I figured that was where your first post was going, I'll keep that in mind Point being, I am the OWNER and dollar cost is my, MY money whether it be cost for a hoist or cost for a injury. I know what I am doing. also I know that engineered things break too. But something even more important than dollar cost is safety and dont think for one minute that I would jepordize the safety of one of my men or myself, besides I do most of the mechanic work anyway, I want the boys in the loaders where they are making ME money! I also think that if it was the operators (not singling anyone out) money that was invested in a company there wouldn't be so much safety ass eatings. I know its just common place for a employee to know how to run a business better than its owner, I have heard it before and will hear it again And Thank you Atco and 95z and 25C for building it. that would work great but i have full height doors on the wall. i was thinking something like doing what you done on one wall and then building an "A-Frame" . Now that we are off topic lol, whats everyone else think of my rant? Pj
25c, Forgot what i wanted to ask you lol. how wide is your shop? the narrowest I could make mine is about 42
I did not do any extra bracing to the posts on building.I will say the post brackets took more time to build then the bridge crane itself.They are made out of 1/8 thick steel & bolted to the 4 x 6 posts.The beam is a 4 x 8 inch I- beam 22 feet long.The track is 5 inch angle iron.I use one ton chain hoists on it ,as far as the rating I'd say 4000 lbs.I have used it for 20 years now,time flys when we are having fun.I'l get some more close up pictures of the post brackets & crane and post them for you.
My shop is 24 feet wide.You can put a bridge crane at 42 feet just have to use a bigger beam to make the span.Maybe a 24 inch I-beam at 42 feet to have the same capacity as my 8 inch beam at 22 feet.A bridge crane is a handy addition to any shop.
Ahh,liebherr1160.If somebody gets injured on the job site its a mess for the injured worker on the job no matter the brand of crane.Thats why we need good operators to make the call ,yes we can do this job .Or no we can not do the job ,send out a bigger crane .
Sounds like you have a fairly large shop PJ. Do you need a crane to cover whole shop area? Or would it suffice to designate one or two adjacent bays as crane bays? Then you could use a pedestal mounted jib crane. What kind of capacity are you looking for? Just a couple of thoughts.
We've actually got two shops, one for wheeled machines/trucks and one for tracked equipment, the one I am worried about is the big shop (tracked equipment) but the worst thing about it is only has 16' ceilings. and with metal halide lights that hang down 24" it really cuts down cieling height so a Jib crane may be the logical choice but a trolly would be best because of the area covered. Pj
I worked for a company that raised their building 6' by jacking the build up... it was really a site to see... They had to do that for clearance for overhead cranes...there were 4 cranes..10 tons ....Can't remember the finished height.. but the cranes spanned about 50' and the 6' was for the cranes to run in...it had twin beams and the winch trolley plus the wheel trolley to move the crane down the length of the building... It did have very little clearance above the trolley Usually when a crane fails or falls .... it's swarmed by everyone.... to see what happened.... what failed... who's paying... I can understand you wanting to save a buck... and the crane may last 100 years... or Cowboy Bobbie may try something silly... injury... lawsuit ...insurance may say tough, it's out of your pocket... Then the Powerjoke const. maybe the next one headed for the auction block... To pay the cowboys' bills.... I know insurance companies visit the shops and jobsites, then the fixit if you want our insurance letter...or here's the new quote....
lmao, Heavy you do know we are talking about something in the shop to pull motors and lift kegs of beer outta trucks right?....I'm not planning on cutting down a tree with it really, Thanks for the Safety talk but I have heard about enough. Pj
What about a rolling gantry crane, one just wide enough to straddle your widest piece of equipment? That way you can get around your shop, not tied down to one or two bays and you can get/make them with adjustable height. http://www.gantrycrane-outlet.com/handpush_gantrycrane.htm
Pictures for GOINGBROKE I got a few close up pics of the post brackets this evening on my bridge crane.They are made of 1/8 " thick steel welded & boxed in around the post.I used 5- 3/8 inch bolts to attach them to each post.The track is 5 inch channel iron.The wheels are small railroad wheels like are used railroad repair equipment.I run two chain hoists on it.It's pretty handy.
In your back yard ..I' could really careless what you build and I'll help you build it .. I dont really care how you **** your money away ..I just hope its not on the blood or bones of anyone who dosent know any better ......Its guys like you i really think should be dragged out in the street and shot .. So **** you and your arrogance ******* ..
I happen to know where a bridge crane is setting It come out of a local factory.
Roddyo shoot me a PM i dont know where in AR you are but i am about an hour north of springfield MO. And now for you,I have set on my hands for a little over an hour now but here it goes and It's too bad all the good words here are censored out but they are at most good sites, something else that aint real cool is telling me you would like to shoot me.....smooth move exlax! I dont know why you would even respond you had nothing to contribute the first time you tried to hijack the thread, you are nothing but a troll and you were looking for a fight that is pretty clear. so now you got one. you need not worrie bout me or any of my guys I have read several of your post and you are trying to declare yourself the site saftey guy. and you have trashed several threads just like you did this one, you need to find a hobby or maybe a girlfriend and leave us adults alone. we are talking and there is no place for you in this thread. I have said several times we are building a lifting device and I mistakeingly called it a crain and you think that you are going to be a big hero....maybe its cause your childish, maybe its cause your wife carries your balls in her purse and dont let you talk for yourself at home, or maybe your just a troll and wanted to trash a thread but mainly I think your just a controlling type person that happens to be a rookie track cleaner after the REAL operators are through or maybe your hoping to be that guy someday after a promotion....either way get outta my thread and NEVER threaten me AGAIN is that understood! (notice no "?", that's because its more of a statement than a question) I am being discustingly nice, if any one here knows me they can voutch for that! Pj
looks good and sturdy 25c, thanks for posting. just goes to show theres nothing wrong with shopbuilt stuff! Pj
I vote for a rolling gantry.
It's held up fine powerjoke over the years.Nothing wrong with home made,shop built,or whatever we want to call it.Heck ,Grove started out building farm equipment & wagons ,then they went on to build some of the best cranes on earth.
I sent you an email PJ.
Just so nobody's scratching their heads, wondering why it got so quiet in here all of a sudden, this might be a good place to post a reminder of this little part of the forum rules:
Hey PJ. I hope your suspension doesn't last long. I've got a home made set-up like you may be looking for. Like your's, my shop only has 16' ceilings. Height was a problem. Also like you, I wasn't looking to lift 10,000 pounds. 500-1,000 pounds in most cases. I used a W8 x 35# beam as a column. Welded a W12 beam x 20' long onto it as high as possible. Used a round rod as a gussett/brace above the 12" beam back to the column. There is simply a bearing on the top and bottom of the column to allow it to rotate. Bought a used 2,000 winch from a crane dealer that rolls under the 12" beam on a trolley. I could take some photos and email you if you'd like. Let me know.
Home made Hoist frame Here's a couple shots of mine. Used 12" I-beam about 20' long. Posts and feet are made from 4X4X.25" wall square tubing. The hoist just fits in my shed, which is 16' tall sidewalls. Rolls everywhere I need it in the building, which is 60' X 105'. The second pic is of the homemade windlass that is used to power the trolley and get it in just the right spot. For quick positioning, the trolley can also be pulled by using the hoist hook or whatever is suspended from it. I built the trolley from .75" thick flat plate. Used 1" grade 8 bolts for axles on the sealed ball bearing rollers. Doesn't look like this forum is going to allow attachments tonight. Here are links to the pics: http://www.boysungrain.com/images/tools/tool17.jpg http://www.boysungrain.com/images/tools/tool18.jpg
Welcome to the forum EdB.Thats a nice looking gantry crane,I like your idea in the second picture having a winch to move the trolley.I also like the way the pole building is braced on the back wall for the strong cold Montana wind this time of year.Love that Gleaner to.
Thanks for the comments. If you like pictures of Gleaners, Challengers, or other farm related activities, there's lots here .
Thanks for the link EdB.You have a Top of the line farming operation.Love the shop!We have old F-2 gleaner with a 13 foot flex head & four row corn head.The F-2 is a Mini combine by todays standards.I always liked the gleaners,old and new.
Lots of things have changed around here but Gleaners have always been the combine of choice. Dad started with a pull-type and later bought an A, and then a C2. I put in a little time on both the pull-type and A but the C2 was the first machine I really ran a bunch. Traded that for an L2 (what an improvement) and later supplemented that with my first rotary (an R50). Had bad experiences with the air-cooled Deutz in that so it was traded, along with the L2 for the current R72. Dad passed in 89 but I sure wish he was around to see the R72 in action. It is a beast in wheat!
Amen EdB.My grandad was a big Allis-Chalmers / Gleaner man.I dont guess powerjoke will mind us hijacking his thread abit talking about gleaner combines sence we both added some pictures & ideas for a shop crane.We have a few farmers running the new big Gleaners in my area but most run a case/IH or deere.Some of my buddys rib & poke at the Gleaner combine and I have to remind them that Gleaner has forgot more about harvesting a crop then anyone else will ever know.I tell them To pay attention to how there new red or green combine is designed,Operators cab in the middle,Grain tank behind the cab,and engine on the rear just like the old Gleaners.That R72 looks hungry for wheat!
No really good shots, but this one is at 14' here. It can also be jacked up to over 20 feet tall using the jacks mounted on either side. They are hard to see, but the bare steel top, rises up from the yellow part.
Something to also keep in mind is if you are using a chainfall or a motorized hoist, because a chainfall is a lot lighter than the same size air or electric hoist.
A good engineer could you give you some numbers for the size of beams and columns that you would need for the desired size of the crane. It doesnt matter if its a gantry or jib. Although, a jib would need some serious anchors if it was going to be large. I myself have a nice gantry crane tha is 16' tall and about 18'6" inside width. I did all of the structural calcs for the beam and columns as I have a degree in engineering. They are pretty easy. If you know an engineer, and he is willing to do a little calculating for you, then all you really need to do is give him your specifications on height, width and max. capacity. I could probably even run some numbers for ya if you wanted.
Here is a 3 tonne A-frame hoist that I recently built. I used this thread for ideas. Hopefully my design will be of use to others planning to built one.
Td25c, question, Is there a stop to keep wheels from coming off track if wall bows out? Looks like a nice easy setup. Overworked
overworked , It has stops at the front of the building as it could roll rite out with the shop doors open . At the rear of the building it bumps up against the tin . Thanks for brining that up overworked ..... Need to weld in rear track stops as my kids seem to enjoy banging the crane against the tin on the building . We built it in 1991 before I had concrete on the floor . Damn...... Time sure flies ! Use it about every day for something or another .
Nice job on the A frame hoist Lefty !:thumbsup
hello lefty trombeur are a user, I would also need to carry a mobile crane gantry for my garage, you may kindly attach more pictures drawings with measurements and mathematical calculations, I would be very grateful I have to make a stand movable beams I also steel on which to hang a chain hoist trolley that moves through thanks again for your suggestions and your paziienza the next tromeur look forward to clarification thanks