Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shop Floor & D6R

RDJ1966 ยท 2011-03-02 19:52

We found and bought a 1998 D6R and am wondering about pulling it into the shop on planks. The shop floor is 6 to 8 inches thick with floor heat tubes at the bottom of the pad stapled to 2 inches of foam board. The door opening is 12 inches thick and I was thinking if I can keep the weight of the edge of the doorway with blocks the rest should be OK because of the weight being distributed more than a wheeled tractor. Will it break my floor? TIA

Replies7
  1. #1RobVG2011-03-02 22:43

    I don't know what a D6 weighs but I routinely bring in our ZX160's with no problem except one, someone decided to bridge the footing in the doorway the first time. They put 2x10's either side of the footing wall (now flush with the slab and asphalt) and cracked the slab in the shop- it concentrated the load. Other than that- no problems. I cut a few sheets of 1/2" plywood down the middle and track on those. Shop doesn't look like it's ever been used. I think our slab is 6" with foam and heat tubing.

  2. #2DiamondLTruckin2011-03-02 22:55

    I pulled a D5Mxl in our shop to weld some grouser bars on it this winter, used some scrap 2x4's we used from some big long pallets. Worked fine.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2011-03-05 02:40

    Run D-6's and D-8's into the shop here with no problem. Keep the transition from dirt to concrete even so you dont have a bump and end up point loading the slab and it will be fine.

  4. #4hotsaw2011-03-05 13:13

    We use old worn conveyer belts from a saw mill or feed mill. You just unroll it and done. We run timbco and timberjack feller buchers across our floor all the time. Has heat tubes. Rubber conveyer belt keeps from scratching the floor.

  5. #5wsw2011-03-09 09:12

    I do not believe in placing material down to drive a machine on a floor. I do agree with the comment above about keeping it level between the outside dirt ( or concrete ) and the inside floor to prevent overloading the sill. However your floor should easily be able to support your equipment as it sits on its tracks, your floor should be tough enough to hold the machine up when supported by stands which puts alot more weight in a relatively small area. you can easily get into the habbit of wasting too much time everytime you bring a machne in or out. If I spent all my time worrying about my floor than I should not be using the shop to repair heavy equipment

  6. #6mitch5042011-03-09 23:13

    I just throw some used truck tires down to walk on

  7. #7Hendrik2011-03-10 04:57

    Are we talking reinforced concrete?