Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shop made equipment/creations?

1morepayment ยท 2015-01-11 15:59

I would like to see what shop made equipment others have built. We have all seen the big scraper and grader from Brent Engineering. Those are very neat accomplishments, but it doesnt have to be that elaberate, even just simple day to day items that makes your job easier or help get a job done faster. Thanks

Replies32
  1. #1nowing752015-01-11 18:49

    . Made these for our shovels and stuff

  2. #2nowing752015-01-11 18:53

    here is one to lube a d5g throttle cable.

  3. #3simonsrplant2015-01-13 00:36

    I like that. Smart yet simple. Good job.

  4. #4kshansen2015-01-13 05:25

    Did about the same thing on an old JD Grader. For mine I used a length of hose that fit tight over the housing thread and was long enough to have the inner cable inside the hose so no need to seal around it. Then filled with 10wt oil and hooked up to shop air pressure and left on overnight. Did not work like new cable but at least was able to shift with one hand after.

  5. #5The Peej2015-01-13 08:19

    I built a fire pit from scrap steel I had at the shop.

  6. #6simonsrplant2015-01-14 00:32

    Fire pit is kinda trick... Fella I know built one of of a D11 final drive hub group... Super trick but super heavy.

  7. #7rossaroni2015-01-14 17:34

    I scabbed together a trommel screen for my compost operation using some rolled angle iron duct rings, and a hay elevator that was rusting away in a farmers field. Not pretty, but can put out about 80 yards of 1/4" screened compost an hour for a topdressing operation that a landscape buddy and I have started. For about $200 and my time, its all I need. Here's a pic of it coming together And while i hope it never moves dirt, this was a 5 year project that I took on with the help of a kegerator. Based on Ron Champions book " Build Your Own Sports Car ", its a Lotus 7 replica. 1200 pounds, 375 turboed rwhp. Aside from the drivetrain, this was entirely hand built. Here's a pic from the Ford Nationals at Carlisle before we were banned from the show

  8. #8farmIT2015-01-15 15:43

    why were you banned? I like that light car big power!

  9. #9rossaroni2015-01-15 17:07

    Long version of the story... The year the picture was taken, I finished 2nd in my field, behind the red cobra behind me. And rightfully so, that car was perfect. I put in my online registration next year, and was called on by the show manager about two hours after I submitted my registration. He told me that the car wasn't really "ford" enough to be in the show. I told him it was ford engined, ford transmissioned, ford reared. How much more ford do you need? He told me that it wasnt something people would be interested in seeing. I told him that I finished second in my field last year. Its a show field vote... If you entered a car, you get to vote. So they voted me to second place, even though they didn't want to see me? He said that the car was never produced in a ford plant I said neither were the cobra replicas next to me. He says "but the originals were" I says, nope, Shelby shoehorned a 289 into an AC Ace, which is not a ford car. He finally just says that we could go round all day, but his answer is no. I spoke with the guy with the Cobra that was behind me at the next years show, and he asked where my car was. I told him the story, and he said that a class member was very upset not to have placed, and he believed that he filed a grievance with the right person, and I was out. So much for the show being "All things Ford"

  10. #10Garrie Denny2015-01-16 23:40

    rossaroni Rossaroni" So much for right and equal, sounds like a black fellas left leg to me.

  11. #11bflobil2015-01-23 01:06

    Here is a portable welding skid I built for myself. I can pick it up with my skid steer and put in the back of my pickup for field projects. The pack rat has all of my supplies.

  12. #12Randy882015-01-23 03:53

    Nice looking projects.

  13. #13nowing752015-01-31 20:16

    This is my ongoing project. Just finished up the top box for stuff not used often and mounted my led lights ressesed to trick it out a bit

  14. #14nowing752015-03-09 11:50

    Here is a screed I built for wide footings. It has a 12volt vibrator on the I beem.seamed to work well.

  15. #15BPMfore2015-03-10 19:41

    Way to think outside the box guys!!! Nice work.

  16. #16ABruso2015-03-10 22:39

    Here's a mixer wagon that we power with a dodge truck. Hooked a PTO shaft to the drive shaft out of the manuel transmission. Running the Dodge in reverse spins the mixer wagons PTO in the right direction. Mixer wagon discharges onto a conveyor belt.

  17. #17wrwtexan2015-03-12 21:08

    Please don't bat my ears about safety as I'm careful to not get under a heavy load, but here is my shop made version of an old style Autocrane. The turning base is a final drive from an Allis Chalmers cotton stipper on a pair of 1/2" plates sandwiching the bed for load distribution. The boom winch is 4500 lb, the hoist is a 3500 lb, and the turning gear is a 2000 lb which I cut one flange off of the spool and turned it down and hand keyed a sprocket onto it. It then turns the input shaft and can be disengaged to freespin. I don't plan to lift much over 1000 to 1500 lbs but it will pull the side of my Chevy 4500 down. Anything heavier and I'll take my skid steer or borrow a tractor and loader. I have maybe $300 in it and when a winch completely fails, I can get another from ebay for cheap. I have long wanted a truck with crane but didn't care to spend the $$$ and have found it to be as useful as any tool I have.

  18. #18oarwhat2015-03-13 07:01

    I'm not going to preach safety but I'd worry about that breaking just above the bolt circle. I don't think it's made to take that kind of side loading. It's definitely thinking outside the box.!! I bet it works great!!!

  19. #19apetad2015-03-13 21:36

    WE DID NOT Do this, But found it this way:

  20. #20Andrew_D2015-03-13 23:00

    Looks like the right hand side fuel tank of a 30 series JD 4wd. What on earth is going on here?? Andrew

  21. #21kshansen2015-03-14 08:37

    Looks factory to me!

  22. #22stumpjumper832015-03-14 22:24

    I suppose I'll have to admit to it... Its a Vermeer 665a stumpgrinder that I hot-rodded. I bought the unit with a non running Wisconsin v-460... I don't like gas motors much and wisconsins even less for industrial uses. So a friend had a case g188 diesel from a scrapped backhoe. Had to have a plate made to adapt the belt pulley to the flywheel, used a stock car radiator for cooling, tried to use the power steering pump for a hydraulic pump, but it wasn't working, I looped the ports together. For hydraulics I used a little gas motor from a wood splitter with a hydraulic pump that supplies the hydraulic power for the unit. In the end, it was a good idea cause if you stall the motor out grinding you can still lift the head up to re-start. All said and done it works as well or better than factory with a lot less fuel consumption.

  23. #23apetad2015-03-19 20:05

    I have to suspect a bad lift pump but who really knows what they were trying to do or if it even worked. Looks like it never untracked from the location-- Troubleshooting is an essential, you really need to know what it is that you are trying to do before you start working on it.

  24. #24DDoug2015-06-10 11:22

    Heres a couple: 1. The original "thrash-A-Matic" 2. Version 2.0 3. a little (6") open end press brake made for 1 job (in a hurry) ended up being very usefull for other stuff.

  25. #25DDoug2015-06-10 12:26

    4. Tractor 3-point back blade (10' wide)

  26. #26DDoug2015-06-10 12:35

    5. Portable hydraulic power unit

  27. #27nowing752015-06-10 20:25

    Looks good. What psi and Gpm does it have. Do you have a specific purpose for it?

  28. #28DDoug2015-06-11 07:13

    Just standard log splitter pump (2-stage) 2500 psi or so, 9 h.p. subaru engine. I have yet to use it, always thought they are handy, but nothing for it to do just yet.

  29. #29nowing752015-06-11 21:11

    I understand. I buy stuff all the time I dot need. But your glade you got it when you do need it

  30. #30td25c2015-06-25 20:55

    Cool tread with a lot of good ideas & gadgets ! Built a 16 foot vibrating concrete screed out of stuff we had laying around the shop , ( I don't throw anything away ) LOL ! Used 2 X 6 lumber & old clothes dryer 110 volt electric motor . Mounted it in the center of the screed with pillow block bearings & bob weight . Used it today on a 14' wide pour & seemed to work pretty good .

  31. #31kshansen2015-06-25 21:35

    I could see hooking it to the lift cylinders of you BobCat or some other machine to be able to raise the boom if there was an engine problem to gain access to make a repair. Or if rebuilding a cylinder hook it up the test for leaks before or after repair, Don't see a filter in the system, might be a good addition?

  32. #32DDoug2015-06-26 19:26

    Good idea, to raise the loader arm on my j.d. loader (240 model A dead engine, needs arms raised for access) Standard spin on filter is hidden under top cover (to get more tank capacity, top of tank goes up and over pump, filter is next to it)