Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shop Press

still learn'n ยท 2014-01-05 17:37

Has anybody built there own shop press? What did u build the frame out of what did you use for hydraulics? Any pics? thanks Jerry

Replies5
  1. #1Nelsonequip2014-01-05 19:13

    Depends how large and wide you want the press but I have seen them made out of a truck frame like a large truck peterbilt, kenworth you get the idea. As far as hydraulics anything could work with some fabrication, I'm needing to make one I have a tilt cylinder off an old d6 just need to do some homework on hydraulic formulas to know what kinda tons it will put out Mike

  2. #2wrangler2014-01-05 23:46

    I built a press a number of years ago.Happened to get some 6x6x1 inch angle and used that for the uprights.I perfer that to using flat bar as it makes the press ridged in all directions.I used 15 inch channel for the top cross piece.Had got some extra thick web 12 inch channel for the bed.Drilled 1 33/64 inch holes for the pins,made out of 1.5 inch chrome cylinder shaft.By using 4 uprights you can straighten long pieces that are wider than the bed.Worked at a shop that had a 50 ton press from some traveling tool salesman.It was badly overrated as the rolled steel uprights were to thin and the holes elongated and the pins bent.The 8 inch bed channels sprung a lot at max tonnage.You may want to look at Enerpac web site for easy tape measure engineering. http://www.enerpac.com/sites/default/files/ip-h-frame_e327_us.pdf.Drake also builts some nice presses that could give you some ideas for moving the bed up and down. http://www.dakecorp.com/products-group-h-presses.asp .I used a Williams 4 piston pump commonally used for grain truck hoists and powered it with a three hp motor.The ram was from some log shearing machine.8 inch bore 9 inch stroke with 4.5 inch ram.I collected the materials over quite a number of year and my cost was less than $400.00.Have to be at the right place at the right time!

  3. #3still learn'n2014-01-06 11:12

    Thanks for the info! Can you get a pic wrangler I think I follow everything! How many psi is your pump pumping? Thanks Jerry

  4. #4Old Doug2014-01-06 12:24

    I have built 3 first was out of truck frame. Its flanges are not very wide like most channel iron and you dont have room for a very big pin. Next one i built out of 6inch pipe it worked and the guy that has it steal uses it. The first 2 were built out of scrap. The next one that i steal have i built out of new steel the uprites are 4by 3/4 straps and the top and table are i think 10inch channel. It has a 2 way cylinder with a 24 inch stroke power by a 110 pump. The very best thing onit is a hand winch to raise the table. The winch is a must and is very handy. I built it thinking that i would use 2 1inch pins to hold the table but it didnt work out so i redid it to use 1 3/4 pin and 1 1inch pin. I have a wedge to split wood for it but it is to slow. I worked for a guy that had 2 shops and both had presses that i was told were used to mount solid rubber tires on old trucks. They had piston pumps run by flat belts. The tables were round maybe 4 foot across with circle machined into them to center up the wheels and the rams under them the tables they were very handy for big stuff. I was told 100 tons.

  5. #5FarmWrench2014-01-06 14:45

    EBay KRWilson 60 ton for $500 I did add a counter weight for the bridge. Parts are available but most folks don't know that so they go cheap. Made in the USA but went broke due to estate issues.