OK I have a 16x24 shed, I am having power run to it and a 100 amp box installed in it, I use the shed for small projects and its dark like a cave right now, surrounded by very tall thick old pine tree's I want to add some lights, but not sure what I want or what would work best, I get temps down below -20 in bad winters and can be 100 degree's outside in summer anyone have any suggestions on what to install it has a 10 ft peak ceiling height I am thinking LED t-8's but after doing a little looking, I got dizzy with all the different designs and brands and what not's seen prices for almost like units from 50-500 bucks how many lights do you think I would need for decent lighting, NOT like under the sun, here, just enough to read a tape measure and basic stuff and can anyone recommend any brand model lights to look at?? Electrician is showing up Monday, wasn't supposed to show up for 2 weeks, but had a job fall out and is looking for work, so cutting me a slight discount for the early show up LOL SO< anyone, something Lowe's or Home depot carry would help maybe too IF my local stores would have in stock?? or if not, I can order and have wired in later on?? thanks in advance, any help suggestions would be very appreciated!
I'd just buy the $50-$75 LED shop lights, the four footers? They plug in, so just wire a couple high runs with lots of outlets, put a few in, and add until you're happy. I'd do two runs with three or four each, staggered maybe to start with. But then that's just me.
thanks, almost every light I seen at my local Lowes, was all hard wire only in LED, so that was why I figured that was the way to get them I am having 4, 4 plug outlets added thru out the shed, but was going to do main lighting on a hard wire switch set up, on and then off as needed and figured IF I ever needed MORE light I could get some plug in's vie a extension cord if needed or?? any idea HOW many lights I would need to light if the area? as I would like to have them on hand for Monday if possible?? going to try a Home Depot (closest is about 40+ miles from me) and see if maybe they have a better selection than my local Lowe's? which honestly didn't even have any in stock yesterday when I was there??
You can wire a switch in line with an outlet or two for lighting. OOOOOHHHH!!!! Home Depot has THESE! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-White-LED-Linkable-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022 Good price, comes with a five foot cord, and a 13" linking cord, you just plug the first one in and daisy chain up to nine total in a line! Sweet! And they sell five foot linking cords too.....
Thanks, I will be heading to Home depot tomorrow and I hope they have them in stock, I will grab 2 for starters I wonder if they have any with a 2 bulb set up, or even a 3-4 and maybe can get away with just 2 light fixtures?? that's a little of my wondering in HOW Many i need am I better off buying just two , of the two 4 ft lights, or ?? I get I can string more together, but then I am taking up a lot of space overhead?? I was also looking at these, https://www.lightsbyhh.com/applicat...hawk_fixtures/3-lamp-4ft-t8-vaporhawk-fixture but there again , a LOT more $$, so don't know if two of these is a the better bang for the $$ as this is in a 4 season climate?
Everybody has their own way of thinking, I've come to the point I try not to buy the cheapest thing available, but figure if I can get by at half or less of what the long term solution is, and replace them with whatever comes out to replace them one or two at a time a few years down the road, I'm money ahead. YMMV. That vapor tight sealed fluorescent is top of the line, and maybe if I figured on painting inside maybe.... I'm just too tight for that though. You might try putting a couple up at an angle where the side walls meet the rafters/ceiling, rather than straight down, just a thought. Get a couple of the cheap ones I'd say, try them, if you don't like them, return them, if you want more they'll ship them to you free shipping?
thanks again, I don't try to buy the best, but at same time, if there is a better option for a fair price value, call it middle of the road, I don't mind buying once, over buying and returning , the time saved in trips and fuel, as my Home depot isn't so close to me, and I am looking if possible to grab something this weekend to have on hand for monday morning IF possible, add up and out weight some times buying the lower end unit's? I'm just not sure is a single bulb set up will cut it, when a double or 3-4 unit set up, for say twice the price, is a better route, and to add 3-3 of the single light units, takes up a lot more space than one 3-4 bulb unit would? thus why was hoping someone has them and can shed some light on how much brighter a single is compared to a double or 3-4 bulb deal?? kinda buy once cry once and save me down time or buyer regrets!
Try sam's club 4' double LED lights, they usually have a pallet or 2 of 'em, $36.99, around here, your locale, price may differ. I have replaced about 4 older florescent 2 bulb lamps, with 'em, and like how they start, and the price...
Well, if you read the reviews on the web page there, some of the buyers are saying this single unit LED light puts out more than a two bulb fluorescent. Dunno myself, I've just started thinking about trying some in my garage and my shop in the last couple weeks since I saw some on sale locally. These fixtures are not made to look like the old tubes, they just put all the LED's in a single flat unit, it's built in and not something you can change or replace. Let us know how you go, may help many of us on here looking to go with the LED lights.
you can never have enough light. My 30x40 I think there is about 9 of those LED light's from lowes(they hang from small chain so you can adjust them/move easy) with switched plug in outlet boxes on the ceiling. You still need a hand held drop light sometimes. Shop light does not carry into places nearly as well as sun light. At least have your electrician put the boxes in the ceiling and switched you don't have to buy the all the light's now. Also put 4 outlet boxes on the walls no more than 8' apart closer near your workbench you will be glad you did and you can use 4'-10' drop cords and get every where inside. Also make sure your outlet's are on a different breaker than your lights or you will be in the dark when you trip it.
I just relight my house garage which is 24 by 36 with 4 , 8' long led with 4 bulbs per. The fixture and bulbs were 80$ per and it lights it very well. They are flush mount hard wire. Put them in myself , no problem. Bulbs say 50K hour life. They are hard start as well for cold weather.
I use numerous Leviton 29816-c2, porcelain receptacles, Carlon B525AHB boxes. Either run them on 14/2 NM-B or conduit. I have a stockpile of 68 watt compact fluorescents bought when Home Depot was phasing them out. I was occasionally buying them for .99 each Light output is equivalent to 300 watt incandescent. Most places have something equivalent to Efficiency Vermont selling LED bulbs cheap. I'm all about efficiency, but a light seldom used doesn't waste much electricity. Willie
These are the good, pin-style T8 four bulb (2 bulb wide by 2 bulb long) from Menard's. They are about $40 bucks. I would put 2 along each wall and 2 down the middle. https://www.menards.com/main/mainte...427444808-c-7495.htm?tid=-8860876170996609702
The best light is at a slight angle from your line of sight. That is over your shoulder. Kitchen counter lighting is best coming from both shoulders in a manner that you don't cast a shadow on your work. Think of light as a pool ball. As it hits the subject, if it reflects directly to your eye, it may be only glare. Think of your work as a mirror. You want to light it without reflecting directly into your eye. Minor deviation from parabolic angles is best. We want to illuminate the subject while avoiding glare. In a kitchen with 8' ceilings, and 25" counter width, 24" from the wall works best as spacing. In places it is less specific where your eye, and the work will be, a more diffuse lighting strategy is good. In a living room, bounce most light off the ceiling. Light will be everywhere, there isn't a need for high lumen task lighting. To create bright space, light walls. Willie, An enlightened woodchuck, happiest lighted by a single mantle Coleman lantern, the worlds best Bullhead attractant.
just wired up country storage building 24 x24 with 4 foot leds from sams. put 100 amp box and 4 double switched outlets in ceiling frame work. like them.
how many light fixtures did you install? I grabbed 3, 4 ft double row led fixtures so far and two single row plug in ones for more light directly over work benches Electrician got canceled for Monday, as had too many things on my plate to meet him at the site so, still didn't get them up and running yet
I'll second the Sam's Club LED shop lights. Low cost, very bright and insensitive to temperature. Before that I was using the 4' double row LED shop light from Lowe's with good result. I liked it better than anything from Home Depot. I put 3 in a lunch room at work, probably 15 x 25 and it's plenty of light.
I picked up some 4 ft LED fixtures that had cord caps and string switches in them. Menards If I remember right. I set ceiling mounted outlets about as described in a post above. I can turn some of them off when I don't need them all. I usually keep just 2 on for walking thru the shop to the attached man cave. Three way master switches at each of the two man doors powers the receptacles to turn them on or off when I enter or leave the building. I like the light much better than the cheap fluorescents I replaced.
OK sorry guys got busy and forgot about a follow up here so here it is I decided to go with two 48 inch double row LED"s, 4800K lum's, hard wired to a switch, then added a 48 inch single row 4800K light in the middle between them, on both ends of my shed I have a work bench and then a loft over them both to hold more crap LOL I then added a pull cord light over each bench, to light up under the lofts, as they shaded things overall very happy here's a couple pic's
looks good!