I know it has been addressed a thousand times on here, but I'm still unsure what brand would be the best bang for my buck....I have a D4H right now that is soon due for a replacement undercarriage. I am currently running berco and I have had good service from this brand. I believe my current undercarriage is an extreme duty. I have been pricing around and Cat is way out of the park. Im interested in some other brands also like: berco, trek, itr or what ever else anyone has some recommendations to. Whats the pros and cons to any of these brands. I'm waiting on some price quotes from Heavyquip and Boyd & Sons right now. Anyone delt with these guys on their undercarriages? Heavyquip has been great to me so far with my cutting edges and ground engaging replacements. Thanks for all your help guys......
We just put a set of ITR on ours about a month ago. We also had berco on ours, we ended up going with the ones they put on the d5m because we kept breaking links, after we did that we were happy with the berco. We gave 8,500 for complete undercarriage less grousers.
Yeah that sounds bout right, I got a quote today of ITR complete for $10,400. Cat said that the one I have on now appears to be an extreme duty set, that might help explain why i have gotten so many hours out of it. Don't know how many it had on it when we got the machine but we've put 4500 hrs on it ourselves. What's your opinion on the ITR? Does it look to be good quality? I know you have only had it for a month so im sure theres no telling about the reliability and wear yet.
We also have a set on a john deere 650G and in the process of putting a set on a komatsu 220 excavator. Have not checked up on the 650G lately, it was put on two seasons ago with no problems so far, but it probably only has a 1,000 hrs tops. The guy we buy from seems to be a reputable guy that has his own machines, so we gave them a try. A neighbor of ours is running a set on a komatsu 65xw, he had trouble with the bottom rollers but they replaced them at no charge and said they had trouble with the komatsu but it seemed to be just a bad batch. The machines we have put it on are not being operated every day of the season not sure if i would want to put it on one of our bigger machines, but also could'nt justify 15,000 on these older low use machines.
I still have a couple to check on yet but I really appreciate the info!
for some reason i cant post a new thread but i am also looking for a new undercarriage for my d5h lgp was quoted $14,000 from cat i do all the labor which is fine. does this seem like a good price?
Farmin, you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread. its like 3 or 5 i think, it keeps the spamers down. on your price, what does that all include?
That's correct tj_farmer, a new member has to have 3 posts before being able to start a new thread because it does help keep the spammers out. Welcome to the Forums farmin!:drinkup Post two more times and you will be able to start a new thread.
Thanks for the info. That's a quote for complete new chain assemblies with pins and bushings, sprocket segments, all new rollers including carrier rollers and mounting caps, and the idlers welded up. My pads are In decent shape. I can get the parts for around 14,000. Got a quote from Berco for 15,800. Thinking on pulling the trigger on the CAT stuff
tj_farmer, that sounds really reasonable coming from cat. Its not cat classic is it? cat quoted me an extreme duty full set for just over 18000. Kinda high I thought since I can get an ITR for almost half that. And thats me doing everything as far as installation and assembly myself.
My cat right now has ITM chains omg junk. They don't even look bad on outside but every joint is dry and I'm breaking pins what a pita!!!
before you make your decision you might check with quicktrax on here or contact boyd &sons. I talked to these guys at a trade show and they were extremely helpful to me and the thousand questions I was asking them. This was about a year ago and at that time they were beating all the other prices I was getting. Im contacting them in the next few days to see what they can do. It's good to check all around and doing your homework on something like this can really save you some$$$$$$$.
Ya but most the time you get what you pay for
ITM and not ITR right? Are they sealed and lubricated?
True almost everytime!!!
Yup ITM , they were lubricated at one point lol. Cat said they could sell me new pins and bushings but the tolerances on ITMs chain are so bad they would go dry again soon
Yeah I wouldnt pour any more money in those either. Better start all over with another brand. Im still undecided really, i've heard pros and cons about all of them. Got berco now and had extremely good wear. I'll go back with them if I can afford the expense for them.
Ya this machine gets 500 hours a year about so idk what to spend
If i find out anymore info during my harassing price check calling around, i'll let you in on it. lol
Well, it didn't go so well talking to boyd and sons this time like it did when I met them in person. The guy I talked to was an extreme jerk and wouldnt give me time to even tell him what I was looking for. I could tell he was, in a way, hurring me up like he was trying to get off the phone.lol. Our total conversation lasted maybe two minutes before he must have needed to go with a promise that he would call me back the next morning with an estimated cost. That was 4 days ago now, ha ha. Well anyway, im sure there is plenty of companies out there wanting a new customer. Im interested on pricing a berco and trek full set of undercarriage if anyone knows of a helpful company out there that seems to have reasonable costs. The closer to TN the better although it's not a must since i'll have to be shipping it to me, thanks guys....and gals
You may want to try H E Parts Distribution . They were very helpful when we purchased a track and gear last month.
bump
I'm one of the parts reps for the Volvo dealer in KY, and I'd be happy to give you a quote for your D4H if you're still needing one. We've been selling alot of V-Track undercarriages the past few years for just about every major brand, but we can get you a good price on Berco parts if you're set on that brand. Shoot me a PM with the s/n of your dozer if you're interested or you can call me anytime at 859-455-6586. Jason
Where would you find the manufactor on a set of dozer tracks?
Usually it is cast or stamped into the links.
Yair . . . excuse my ignorance fellers but on these pages I have never seen any reference to the rebuilding of rails. Is this a discontinued practice? On the 21's we used to do it on the turn and when we changed the bushes. I have even put a quarter inch on a Fowler by hand. Cheers.
I worked for a mob on the Gold Coast , that had a Submerged Arc welder for rebuilding rails . Also did rollers and Idlers . Talked to the track guy in Bundaberg a couple of years ago about rebuilding rollers . He said cost of Labour made rebuilding no longer viable.