Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shopping for a wheel loader

fast_st ยท 2016-01-13 18:46

So running the grounds dept at a local sportsmens club, one tool we run the pants off of is the Kubota 75 horsey ag tractor, Now and again we're moving big piles of fill and doing a ton of bucket work, we've worn the cutting edge off as well as wore clean through the heel of the bucket, a new 2 piece cutting edge and a big chunk of hardox fixed the heel of the bucket, but its an ag tractor, it can maybe lift 3000 pounds and the break out force isn't huge. Its had a couple pistons bent and we cracked the main frame bracket so my thought is, look for a wheel loader. At work there's a Big fookin Michigan loader that sounds like its running an 8v71T detroit, wow that sucker can sing while pushing snow, but anyway, I've run a Trojan 1500, and an old Nelson loader, nice and small and that might be about the size, maybe 2yd-3yd bucket nothing massive. My specs are in the works right now, are there any machines to flat out avoid, it almost sounds like with common transmissions and axles that they are all pretty reliable and easy to repair if needed. This machine will likely get about 20 hours a month and lead a pretty easy life. Any good suggestions on places to find good deals? equipment dealers? municipal auctions? Thanks again !

Replies16
  1. #1repowerguy2016-01-14 19:39

    The make or break is the proximity of the dealership. Even the best machine is going to need parts occasionally so consider the distance to get parts.

  2. #2fast_st2016-01-14 19:49

    That's a good point, though we can do a lot of fab, welding and maintenance in house. Big problems like transmissions would make things pretty difficult to deal with. Setting a price of 16k on equipment finder seems to pull up a fair number and even some really big machines. They all seem to be about 1000 miles away.

  3. #3repowerguy2016-01-15 05:30

    At a previous job the owners bought machinery with good results from Iron Planet. I think they have a policy that protects the buyer from misleading claims by the seller. Iron Clad I think it was called. Sometimes old school networking with local dirt guys will yield good results, ask around and you may get a hit on a machine that someone can't afford anymore or just plain doesn't use much.

  4. #4Volvopro2016-01-15 12:31

    A Volvo L70 would do the job you want,would be fairly cheap and if you bought a tidy one would last forever working 20 hrs a month.

  5. #5fast_st2016-01-15 15:38

    Thanks, I'll check iron planet and keeping an eye out for an L70, Will also check the local municipalities for something that could fit our needs.

  6. #6fast_st2016-02-10 14:52

    I have found a couple nearby, a JD 544B, Dresser H90(e) and a Samsung 120 (volvo?) machine, all in a decent price range though the dresser is the heavy hitter. I'm thinking that the slightly older machines are a bit less complicated to repair and run the standard clark or allison transmissions etc. I've worked with an older loader and it was easy to tap into the hydraulics to add a winch and second hydraulic remote to the front, that would be a bonus but not a requirement.

  7. #7Wes J2016-02-10 15:18

    We have a John Deere 544 that we use for plowing snow. I like it a lot. It's made by Hitachi and the motor is Deere. I've picked up 10,000 lbs with the forks on the front of it.

  8. #8oarwhat2016-02-10 16:19

    Stay away from the 90E I really liked those loaders but parts are now beyond scarce . I had the 90C's and 15 years ago you could not get exhaust manifolds and elbows.

  9. #9fast_st2016-02-10 17:11

    What kind of parts tend to go? are parts like manifolds something specific to the loader or are they the same for other equipment with the same engine? I have worked on some really old hardware and found that all the big pieces were common items, so bearings and seals were a snap. Even seal saver kits to renew all the surfaces, and found that the air over hydraulic unit was the same in a 5t military truck. For small items like an elbow, I could see brazing it up and making it work whereas time is on our side.

  10. #10oarwhat2016-02-10 18:40

    The engine is an uncommon one so parts are rare and expensive. international 573 cu in V-8 The exhaust piping is definitively a weak link. the manifolds on the engine split. the piping to the turbo tor and the sealing rings then leak. I owned 2 and my buddy still has one and they all leaked bad. All ways patching them up.

  11. #11repowerguy2016-02-10 19:03

    Dresser is basically a orphan brand since Komatsu abandoned the line a few years ago. Dresser made some decent and basic machines but without parts you can only go so long till it hits the scrap.

  12. #12fast_st2016-02-11 05:51

    Well that does make some sense, I suppose if it was my toy I'd not mind an old Dresser or Clark, but if I leave someone else will have to find parts so likely seems best to stick with Cat, JD, Komatsu, Volvo and such. What about Terex? still see some new Terex equipment about.

  13. #13Wes J2016-02-11 09:53

    Lots of Case loaders out there. I think they are pretty good.

  14. #14Snipe2016-02-12 20:46

    I have a 921 case and parts are none existent I wouldn't recommend a case.

  15. #15Wes J2016-02-12 20:52

    That's surprising. I know you can get parts for a WC-20 and it's really old.

  16. #16fast_st2016-02-18 05:24

    Well after a bunch of shopping, it looks like Deere is good on availability and parts, We've found a couple 544 models, so likely will be the victim. Any experience with the value of oil sampling, I was thinking it would be good to do the axles, engine and hydraulic and possibly coolant, I think that covers most of the systems as it doesn't have geared hubs