Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shoreline revetment question

Orchard Ex ยท 2009-03-24 21:07

How do you hold the fabric in place under water for the first rocks for the toe? Gotta be a trick to it without getting wet.

Replies2
  1. #1ddigger2009-03-24 22:12

    Yrs ago I did a big riprap job on the coast around a C G Station. We got a hold of a hand held sticher (sewing machine) and sewed pockets in the fabric and inserted pvc pipe into the folds we made, and used the pipe to float and also guide the fabric out on the water over the toe trench, we then just carefully dumped the backing rock onto the fabric and let it sink into place. took a bit of trail and error but in the end workrd well. At low tide the toe was still nearly 12ft underwater and 24ft out. The job was done with a track mounted 880 gradall with a 8ft extention. This was in the mid 80s and after all these yrs the job still looks like we left it. So I guess it worked.

  2. #2Orchard Ex2009-04-03 14:29

    Thanks ddigger. I ended up doing it the old fashioned way but I'll keep this idea filed away for the future. FYI - the "old fashioned way" is to hire somebody else to get cold and wet.