Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Short Hood T800

hvy 1ton ยท 2008-07-28 23:51

What is the designation of the short hood T800, the one with 114" BBC? I've been trying to figure out if it is the T800B or not. . I see them being used as tankers all the time. As a side note how would a C13 handle to 85K to 90K GCVW?

Replies1
  1. #1Paystar2008-07-31 21:29

    Just looking at my T800 brochures. They just list 112 and 121" bbc. I know there is a B just can't remember which one. The newer brochures only say standard hood (slopenose), H (high hood) which is now discontinued, W (wide hood), and a short hood they call the work cab. Oh wait, just found an older one with 114" standard sloped hood B. One thing I am sure of though is a C13 will easily handle 90K gross. I had the C13 470/485h.p. in my Paystar with an Eaton 18 speed double over and 4.30 gears on 22.5 and later 24.5 rubber. I hauled 90K all the time and pulled 10% grades equal to 475's and an ISX 530 with equal gearing. Mine ran real strong, mileage sucked though. Best I showed on ECM was 5.3 mpg. I guess on par with other new emmision motors, but sad compared to my 9900i highway tractor I am running now. I run the same highway pulling a 5 axle walking floor van, grossing 140,000 pounds. Truck is a 2002 with a C15 455, 18 speed and 4.10's on 24.5 rubber. I consistently average 5.3 to 6.3 (depending on how heavy my foot is) on my 500 km run (empty up, loaded back with lots of 8 and 10% grades.)