Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Short term use of mulcher

LCA078 · 2020-01-03 14:56

Have a Cat 325BL and was wondering if using a 'small' mulcher head (30gpm) was doable? Machine has the one-way and two-way hydraulics so plumbing should be straightforward. And it has the electronic tool control option so it also may be fairly easily to control but haven't dug into control options. Just not sure if the machine can handle using a mulcher for light trimming of roadways and power lines. I won't be using it to clear the actual trees. thoughts?

Replies12
  1. #1furu2020-01-03 15:08

    What flow does the machine have that is auxiliary flow? Does it use the same primary flow for the aux as it is used to control the arms and table because if it does it will stall the head everytime you move the arm or rotate the table.

  2. #2heymccall2020-01-03 15:27

    I run 38gpm HO-PACs on my 320 thru 328 Cats, and a 67gpm hydraulic breaker. At 38gpm /2300 psi, it slows the boom rise a little bit, but, it will certainly run it well. That machine will have that stupid ++--+- programming though. The flow number shown is relative, not actual gpm, and the reliefs are not computerized.

  3. #3LCA0782020-01-03 15:43

    It has 2 pumps at 56.5gpm each so seems to have the right capacity for light mulching. But not sure if these machines can run a constant 30gpm for a couple hours without issues like hydraulic overheating, etc.

  4. #4LCA0782020-01-03 15:50

    That's good to know! Yes, it's got the painful +/- button program which is why I haven't touched it yet. The very short blurb in the operator's manual just gave me a headache trying to understand its functionality and what you can do with it. I'm assuming there is a separate user's manual for just for the officially named "Work Tool Electronic Controller"?

  5. #5heymccall2020-01-03 18:25

    We've done 10 hour shifts with the 67 gpm breaker on there...about a 40% duty cycle, and never a heating issue, even on the 320C or the 322B.

  6. #6mowingman2020-01-03 18:45

    Yes, but you are not in Austin, Texas, like the original poster. In Austin he may be running all day in nearly 100 degree temps. My experience with mulchers here in Texas has not been good when it comes to running it as an attachment on a skid steer. Hydraulic overheating will likely be a problem, in my opinion. Jeff

  7. #7jsw development2020-01-04 16:56

    We are in San Antonio and briefly ran a torrent mulcher on a 6 ton machine. Heat is an issue for most machines in South Central TX in my opinion. We ran an additional cooler with a small 12v fan that made a big difference. The bigger issue is that in rocky conditions a standard mulcher gets really expensive to operate really fast. Especially in ROW service that would involve hidden rebar fence posts and at worst barbed wire or cable. We switched to a radial cutter with 3 ar400 blades and carbide teeth on the flywheel. This has been much less expensive to operate, but the trade off is that it throws material further and doesn’t leave as nice of a finished product. Is a rotating shear an option for you? We will be putting one in service this year for selective/geotech clearing to minimize saw work and liability. Not an expert by any means, but I hope our “hard knocks" can be helpful to you in some way

  8. #8mowingman2020-01-04 19:44

    Not only does a mulcher hate rebar, rocks, and barbed wire, but it hates cast iron manhole covers too. Don't ask me how I know. Thank God for loss/damage insurance included in most rental fees.

  9. #9LCA0782020-01-05 20:09

    Basically I'm looking for an industrial hedge trimmer to keep the cedar limbs at bay on the easement to our property and around the roads on our property. I prefer not to clear out some specific cedars as it keeps some privacy. A pole saw will work but man that will be a very long chore! I can rent a skid steer with mulcher attachment but if i can get a older mulcher head for the right price, I might just pull the trigger on it. Trying to do my home work. I appreciate any input from those who know the local area. Between cedar and mesquite, we have our hands full in Texas. I can't imagine the sound it made. And I can't imagine the look on the operator's face (yours?) when it happened!!!!

  10. #10mowingman2020-01-05 22:14

    Yes, I was the operator and yes, it made a heck of a noise. There was not supposed to be any buried lines where I was working. Seems like someone forgot to tell me there was a buried sewer line with a big manhole cover about every 500' or so. Could not see the manholes due to 10' tall, very thick, weeds and brush.

  11. #11Asidor2020-01-21 02:40

    Furu, my company supplies cutting tools for mulchers. Would you give a clue on some companies in Europe who re-sells retrofitted and repared used mulching equipment?

  12. #12furu2020-01-22 03:28

    Asidor I am not that familiar with the European market place but I know that Prinoth is somewhat common there and there are some Fecon products in some locales. Sorry I can't help more on the European marketplace.