Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 215 fuel timing pin diameter 3304 engine

Dgreen4298 · 2020-01-03 12:55

any one know the diameter of cat fuel injection pump timing pin part number 6v4186? I don’t really want to spend $40 on a tool when I can just turn down a piece of stock on a lathe, I just can’t find the diameter of it anywhere online

Replies9
  1. #1Cmark2020-01-03 16:41

    The shank of a drill bit works fine. Can't remember the size off the top of my head, 3/8" I think, or maybe 5/16" One or the other. If you really want to fabricate one, I'll try and dig mine out later today and measure it.

  2. #256wrench2020-01-04 07:13

    don't use anything soft-it can bend if you forget it in there and try to bar the engine over and then you may not be able to pull it out

  3. #3thepumpguysc2020-01-04 11:55

    The drill bit trick usually works..

  4. #4tctractors2020-01-04 13:42

    The timing pin could well be located in its store position on the pump. tctractors.

  5. #5Cmark2020-01-04 16:14

    Good point Tony. I was assuming a scroll pump but it could be old enough to be sleeve metering. As always a serial number would clear up any ambiguity.

  6. #6Bluox2020-01-04 20:02

    0.375 or a 3/8 drill bit. Bob

  7. #7kshansen2020-01-05 15:10

    Yep! one more reason to include the s/n! If we had that someone might be able to post a picture showing where the pin is located if it was of the age that had them from factory! Cmark, not to get OT here but you anywhere near the fires down there!

  8. #8Cmark2020-01-05 18:02

    No. I'm much further North. The closest one was about 5km away but that was in early December.

  9. #9Dgreen42982020-01-05 23:34

    95z00480 cat215 3304 engine, scroll metering pump. I have the pump off the machine and I didn’t see it but I really wasn’t looking for one on there either. Thanks