I've got several projects on 30 acres of farm land and was thinking it might be better to buy an excavator instead of renting one. After the projects are done, my hope is that my dad could get some side jobs since this is the type of work he really loves to do. The projects include: Trench for geothermal ground loop pipe. 10ft x 5ft x 375ft = 700yd^3 Field tile 3ft x 4ft x 900ft = 400yd^3 Boulder removal Filbert tree removal Light grading I want something that can be hauled by my Dodge 2500 Cummins, so I'm thinking 8-12k pound range? A thumb is a must. I know very little about excavators, so what do I want to look for and what should I avoid? What about this machine for $29,000:
Not a bad looking machine. Kubota makes good equipment. I see another 2005 similar to that one in Oregon as well for 35K on Machinery Trader. I do have a question about the geo trench; 10 x 5 x 375, is that 10' deep and 5' wide? That's a big trench for a machine that size. I suppose it could do it though.
The write up says KX161, but the picture looks like a KX61. Theres about 6k lbs difference in those machines. Also a 161 will dig 12.5' max while the 61 only digs about 9' max. Maybe my eyes are getting old though...
Looks like a 161 to me, and the fact it has a 48 inch clean-up bucket. If you have the cash by it, you could always do the work and then sell it once you are done for pretty much what you paid for it. Check the main bucket pin and bushings, seems to be a problem recently with these when you run the 48 inch buckets.
The geotrenching I have been involved in has been about 6' deep in milder climates I would bet 5' is the depth and 10' is the width. Here 48" seems to be more common but depending on the loop placement they may do a 10' width. Either way that is a lot of material to move with a mini ex. To say nothing of the fact that you will need another machine to move spoil away as you will struggle with not having enough reach to keep material from the trench. The price on the machine is great. As far as its ability to do all that you want, it would be a struggle but doable.
Digging that trench in your own time and for yourself is very different than trying to do it for customers in a production environment but I agree it is allot of work for that machine. I would do it though and the 161 is strong for its size.
Thanks for all the replies! Since I have very little knowledge of excavators, I appreciate anything you might want to tell me. Right after I posted this message, I learned that my dad lost his job of 31 years today. He has some hours on a Kubota U35, and I always notice he is happiest when operating equipment. It might be late in the game, but if he could make a little money doing this kind of work, I would be happy to buy him the equipment. I'm guessing I listed the dimensions incorrectly, but the trench is 5' deep. I have been told OSHA requires a permit and barrier to be placed on deeper trenches. It's a lot of earth to move with a small shovel, but it's a great way to put some hours on the machine and learn some skills. Instead of clearing all that dirt, I thought about renting a trencher that will do 5ft depth. I don't see any reason the polyethylene tubing couldn't be installed in that way. Great info! The property is in Oregon, with a ground temp somewhere around 50-55 I'm guessing. The trench was sized for a 3 ton heat pump.
make sure it all there is not a bunch of play in the bushings if they did concrete work it could have had alot of time with a hammer
excavator This is what I would do, I would find an older 25-30,000 lb excavator, there are a bunch of them out there at around $15,000. It might have some wear in it, but you can do your work and sell it and get you money back. As far as moving it, hire a lowboy to do it for you, around my area they charge $150-200 a local move, if you are just doing this project you can walk it, as long as its not too far and of course not on the highway (LOL) These bigger excavators are a lot easier and comforter to operate and it has the power and speed to do the work. But thats just my 2 cents worth Good Luck
Kubota makes a nice machine. That is a lot of digging for a mini. If you can swing it (with the transport) buy a 120 or 160 size machine. Like others said it can be done but it would be much eaiser with a bigger machine. Also down the road you can do alot more with a bigger machine than a mini. I am in the same boat as you (haveing bought a mini) and that is what i wished i did. There was alot of nice machines in the idaho area on ironplanet recently. I would try them i have had pretty fair luck on that site.
Thanks for the Ironplanet suggestion! How much is the trailer in the picture worth? I don't often see equipment for sale that includes the trailer, so I might need to look for one. How big of a machine could I realistically tow in my Dodge 2500 Cummins single axle? I don't have a trailer brake either. My truck has pulled what I estimate to be nearly 20k on a ball hitch on the freeway once, but that is probably more than I would ever want to pull again.
DOT rules state (and common sense demands) that you can't tow more than 3,500# without trailer brakes. Sorry. If you had the right trailer (and trailer brakes) you could easily pull that 161 around using your 2500. Many people pull TLBs (+/-16K#) around with pick-ups but you won't catch me doing it.
what are you planning to use it for?
Great reply, I agree that it was nonsense to pull something that heavy with no trailer brakes. Looks like I need to install those too. The projects include: Trench for geothermal ground loop pipe. 5ft x 10ft x 375ft = 700yd^3 Field tile 3ft x 4ft x 900ft = 400yd^3 Boulder removal Filbert tree removal Light grading My dad also lost his job, so if he could find work doing light excavation projects it would be a great fit for him. If I get a good deal on a machine I could at least sell it for what I put into it, if digging doesn't work out for my dad.
I bought a trailer similar to this one for $4800 new last year. Bought it from Gatormade trailers in Somerset Ky. It is a 14k with brakes and 18' deck and tool box. So i cant see that one being worth a whole lot more than that if any more. Your truck is capable of pulling that machine. I wouldnt really like doing it too much though. I am parinoid about stuff like that so i wouldnt pull anything that was too far from home. I had a dodge 3500 dually i pulled a similar sized machine with and it pulled it fine but you knew it was back there. If you were moving it everyday i would think about a larger truck. Thats just my opinion, like i said im parinoid about stuff like that. Never can be too safe!!
If you have the budget and your doing your project now I would buy a bigger machine for the 30 acre farm like others have suggested we have a PC 120 with no means of moving it ourselves we just hire out. Then like i said if budget allows buy a smaller machine than the one pictured and trailer for doing small jobs for people with rubber tracks something that wont tear up yards maybe you could get into tree plantings for a nursery or pipe work for a plumber if you have a smaller mini ex. I would get both if I could. Both have their uses and trenching a ton of pipe, stumping, and grading are not what i would use my minis for if i have the choice. -Eric