I know this topic has been beat to death but I have to ask all of you for input. I have only 50ish hours of seat time digging. Started running rental minis and then bought a 210c Deere back hoe. So all my seat time has been with Deere controls. When I bought my track hoe is when I realized I had to learn Cat controls or I would not be able to jump in an excavator on a job and be able to be productive because all the operators around here run cat controls. I am dead set that I'm not switching my excavator to Deere. I'm going to run it with cat controls. All the old timers seem to hold that backhoes are Deere, track hoes are cat. But I need to learn Cat controls, so It makes sense to switch my backhoe hoses around to match the track hoe controls. But should I leave it so I can learn to run either or?
I have forced myself to go back and forth between controls on my Hitachi excavator and Deere backhoe. Was quite challenging at first, as I had run Deere for years and only started running Cat controls when I got my Hitachi excavator. I think it's good to stay current with both, just have to stay thoughtful when you first get on the new pattern each time, until it's automatic again. I don't work out with my equipment, only on my own projects, so a short relearning curve doesn't really matter for my productivity. I think it's up to you if you feel safe operating that way in your environment. I'm just glad I can hop on either pattern now and not be dumb founded.
I cant speak from a professional side, but I have many different brands of equipment and controls to TRY and remember when I change what piece of equipment im working on, and I can say if all were the same it would be easier, but thats would be impossible, it takes a minute or so and a maybe an oops or 2 to get the muscle memory back for each different one to have some sort of smooth operation...a challenge either way..
I can appreciate that in your locality it may be advantageous to know both, but personally I find it madness to continue with the deere pattern, when "cat" controls are so prevalent worldwide. Sure, it's a neat skill to be able to run both, but for a lot of hoe operators it's frustrating and annoying at some time or another. I've run excavators in several countries during my life, and it was a shock the first time I encountered deere controls in the states, i actually jacked it in after a few minutes as my muscle memory was so confused I thought this will be no fun, possibly hard on machine, and maybe even dangerous. I could have plodded on and slowly got there (i did on a later occasion) but that first time i was so annoyed by it, i thought a beginner would do better on this machine than me! Best of luck with it.
I think its worth it to change over to cat controlls. You will have to remove and restack the valves though. Just changing hoses dont work because of relief valves are different per function.
I'd leave it like it is. 1. Workshoprat is right, you've got to disassemble the valve stack or make new rods, you can't just switch hoses on a backhoe. 2. you talk about wanting to be able to run other people's trackhoes, but their b'hoes will be like yours. You need to be able to run both.
Oh damn. i didnt think about that. I switched it around the other night but havent noticed any difference in performance.