Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should I mention non-union experience when applying for a union apprenticeship?

runt ยท 2015-01-25 10:54

There's an apprenticeship opening up in my area soon and I'm going to go pick up the application. I've been working for a non-union company for the past 6 months running a skid steer loader, pretty much purely as a learning experience (I told the owner I'd work for free to learn; he offered to pay me about half of what other operators make instead and I took the job in a heartbeat). My question is: should I mention this when I apply to the apprenticeship or at the interview? There's a clause that says any applicant claiming previous experience will be tested. In all honesty, I'm just about at the point where I'm comfortable doing all the basic tasks of a skid steer loader--I'm certainly not an expert. I don't know what their "test" would be like or if I'd even pass. Moreover, even though the company I've been working for is outside of the Local's jurisdiction, I'm worried about saying I've been working non-union. So far I've been told to say I've been running a skid steer on residential jobs (all non-union around here) or to not tell them about the last 6 months at all and let them think I can't operate anything. What do you guys think? Any advice to offer?

Replies15
  1. #1Buckethead2015-01-25 12:41

    I say absolutely tell them, when you're asked. Just don't exaggerate how much experience! Since you are not already a member, I don't think you broke a rule by working for a non-union contractor. They wouldn't hold that against you. Especially doing housing work in a place where it's all not union. A lot of guys have run equipment before they got in. In fact, a lot of locals are actively organizing people working for non-union contractors. (who can pass practical tests on equipment) That's not a bad way to go if you can get in that way. As for the test, I don't know what the skid-steer test is like. You say you have some experience, as long as that's true, it's not like your trying to lie your way in or anything. I would say give it a shot if they want to test you.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-01-25 13:20

    I second what you say. Thats good advice.

  3. #3kat092015-01-25 18:55

    Heck ya tell them, if your not in a local they are gonna want to know where you got some seat time. Never try to B.S. anybody about your experience though, It will come back to haunt you!! Tell them why you want in and why you would be a good member. If you get in and are any good you will get opportunities to get the heck away from the skid steers!! Just kidding. My mantra- Learn all you can learn.

  4. #4TrentNz2015-01-26 04:59

    Couldnt agree more about the over exaggeration of experience. Tell them straight up. So many clows talk them selfs up and then look like fools later on.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2015-01-27 00:03

    Hey my Grandad ran D9s into the 1970s when he retired from logging, then bought and ran his own skid steer business until he was 80-something...I had a client tell me "he could pick tomatoes with that thing" I know you were kidding but skid steers have their place....

  6. #6CM19952015-01-27 06:57

    I've hired a few and then quickly shown them the door.

  7. #7runt2015-01-28 18:25

    Thanks for the replies! If they ask, I'll be telling them my experience straight up--no exaggerations. Hopefully it works out.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-01-28 20:14

    Let us know how you make out.

  9. #9CM19952015-01-28 20:21

    In a short time you can gain experience, however it takes a long time to rebuild your reputation. You'll be fine, be truthful, keep your eyes and ears open and learn everything you can. Experience is worth money and like all things of value, it takes time to build. Yep, keep us posted and best of luck!:drinkup

  10. #10runt2015-02-16 09:57

    Well, filled out a lengthy application this morning and went through a preliminary interview. I think it went well, but it's hard to judge. Should be hearing more from them over the next couple of weeks or so if they select me. Thanks again, everyone, for the advice and encouragement!

  11. #11runt2015-03-16 18:07

    As it turns out, I didn't get selected for the apprenticeship. I thought the application and interview went well, but I guess not well enough. Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice though.

  12. #12Oxbow2015-03-16 19:09

    Don't give up runt, none of us were born with experience. You may be able to find a contractor (non-union) that will allow you to work as a laborer as well as begin to train you on other equipment to help broaden your experience. You can learn a bunch by watching a good operator. The way to the top often starts with a shovel in your hand! I started as laborer/grade checker/oiler/anything that needed to be done. Having knowledge of setting grade and equipment maintenance is very valuable to smaller contractors, and will surely help you if you attempt to enter the union again.

  13. #13logan.w2015-03-16 19:46

    Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'll be searching for some entry-level positions like you described.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2015-03-18 00:45
  15. #15Oxbow2015-03-18 08:14