Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should i rebuild my own 1845c cylinders or have them done?

jeffcocase1845c ยท 2019-11-04 20:59

Im trying to decide if i should rebuild my own cylinders or have a shop do them. The shop quoted me 220 per cylinder parts and labor. I need to do both lift and both tilt cylinders. Who has rebuilt them?

Replies8
  1. #1Bumpsteer2019-11-04 21:44

    Depends if you have the tools to take them apart and a way to hold them.....had the tilt cylinder on my Bobcat redone years ago, it was done before I was finished with my joyride in an AWS Bobcat... Ed

  2. #21693TA2019-11-04 21:55

    I purchased the seal kits for mine and had a hydraulic shop rebuild them. Charged me $50.00 each, (labor) including a pressure test. Actually purchased the seal kits on ebay from a vendor going by "Professor Foam" whom puts kits together. Talked to him personally and a really nice guy whom knows what he's doing. All four cylinder kits were less than a hundred delivered which is a LOT cheaper than CNH would charge.....

  3. #3Ronsii2019-11-04 22:06

    If all they got to do is slap new seals in them then it should be sort of cheap.... but if things are froze, bad threads, cracks.... rust!!!! then it start getting expensive honing, machining, welding... it never ends

  4. #41693TA2019-11-04 22:14

    Pretty straight forward job if you have the proper tools and jigs to keep things stationary. I had one tilt cylinder seeping so had them all gone through knowing these kinds of things don't normally heal themselves.....

  5. #5Ronsii2019-11-04 22:20

    Yes, have done many a small cylinder myself.... just watch out for pitfalls

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-11-05 00:31

    See if they will give you a bit of a deal if you do all 4. Looks like they are probably charging an hour labor per cylinder plus the seals.

  7. #7kshansen2019-11-05 09:19

    Main thing that might be a problem is the condition of the rams(rods) if the chrome is good and no real dings or pits should not be too bad either doing them yourself or having a shop do them. Some times you can even do them while on the machine just unhook to rod end and support with a block of wood. That would not work on the main lift cylinders of a Case 1845C! Most of the Case cylinders have small screws in the joint between the head and the barrel that needs to come out to unscrew the head, also call the gland by some. Then you would need a pin spanner wrench to unscrew the head/gland. Next thing is getting the seals out of the gland, usually that is not too bad but getting the new ones in can be tough if you don't have the tool to turn them inside out to install them. Tool looks like this: To be honest I never had one of those but if I was doing half a dozen cylinders a year these days I would get one! Never saw one in use till a couple years before I retired. I've seen them online for around $45.00

  8. #8Tinkerer2019-11-11 20:53

    I have one of those tools, Ronsii. It is a must have tool. Fast, easy and no seal damage when using it.